Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gatorade before surgery?

So I’m scheduled to have my Sleeve surgery tomorrow. I’m very anxious. But the question is, has any one had orders to drink Gatorade before their surgery? My surgeons orders is to drink Gatorade on the way to the hospital but why if I can’t have anything to eat or drink after midnight?

I have to drink some pre surgery liquid carb drink made by ensure before my surgery. Probably the same reasoning, having carbs before surgery is suppose to help with recovery.

Yep, they recommended I drink 32 oz Gatorade zero or Powerade zero the day before surgery. No carbs recommended for me though. The doctor also had them do a full bag of saline IV Fluid prior to surgery in pre-op area.

Edited by Uomograsso

29 minutes ago, Xolosing said:

So I’m scheduled to have my Sleeve surgery tomorrow. I’m very anxious. But the question is, has any one had orders to drink Gatorade before their surgery? My surgeons orders is to drink Gatorade on the way to the hospital but why if I can’t have anything to eat or drink after midnight?

If you google - there have been a number of studies that show if people drink a Gatorade or like Fluid with the balance of electrolytes that you recover better and faster and don't become less dehydrated. Being dehydrated makes your recovery harder and it's hard for them to put in IVs too.

I couldn't personally drink it because I had been Keto 18 months prior to surgery and the sugar would have made me feel awful. I asked if they wanted to me to do a Zero one but my surgeon said it was fine not too. I did have sips of Water until an hour before surgery though. But follow your surgeons guidelines and if you can't tell them.

Yes, I'm supposed to drink 32 oz of regular gatorade before I go to bed the night before surgery.

Each doctor is different. Follow your doctors recommendations. i am sure he has a good reason for this. my doctor did not do this so i have no clue, and i came out of recovery fine :)

1 hour ago, smund said:

Yes, I'm supposed to drink 32 oz of regular gatorade before I go to bed the night before surgery.

I did as directed nothing after midnight. My surgery was at 1:30pm. I was stuck 3 times with that big needle. On the 4th try where I first said to stick me at worked. I still have 1 massive bruise on my hand and 3 others.

If you are instructed to drink gator aide by your surgeon then I would listen to them just no red purple or orange colored ones

The docs are finding better outcomes if they carb load you before surgery. My doc had me do this. They pump your stomach just before surgery anyway, so having some liquids before gastric sleeve won't hurt anything. Other surgeries don't pump your stomach, thus nothing by mouth after midnight. That said... you still can't have OTHER stuff in your stomach :)

20 hours ago, Uomograsso said:

Yep, they recommended I drink 32 oz Gatorade zero or Powerade zero the day before surgery. No carbs recommended for me though. The doctor also had them do a full bag of saline IV Fluid prior to surgery in pre-op area.

That is funny... mine had to be full sugar... they wanted the carbs for me! I was told full sugar gatorade OR apple juice (which doesn't have the electrolytes as someone else suggested as the reason for gatorade). I had to drink a specific amount before bed, and again 4 hours before surgery.

Edited by momof3_angels

I'm supposed to drink apple or cranberry juice, both of which I detest. JOY!