Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mix collagen into protein shakes?

My hair is already thin and I worry about losing a lot of it. Has anyone tried mixing collagen powder into their Protein Shakes during the post op diet? Has it helped? Does it taste alright?

there's really not much you can do about the Hair loss. Some people claim they've had some luck with things like Biotin and special shampoos, but other people say it's done absolutely nothing. I guess it's always worth a shot, but I wouldn't buy too much unless ends up helping.

My hair is already thin and I worry about losing a lot of it. Has anyone tried mixing collagen powder into their Protein Shakes during the post op diet? Has it helped? Does it taste alright?
I use the Vital Protein and collagen. It's 9g of protein plus collagen. I get the unflavored kind and put it in my tea. No taste. I'm only three weeks out so can't tell you if it works or not but I figure it can't hurt. I also take Biotin and no Vitamins daily and use biotin Shampoo and conditioner. Just trying by best here. Lol.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I've been taking collagen since early last year (long before surgery). I started when I was diagnosed with arthritis in my knees in the hopes it would help and I think it did. I also noticed it helps my skin and hair feel better in general. I'm still early out from surgery so not sure if it will help with loss or not, but if nothing else, it's an extra 10 G of Protein for only 40 calories and it dissolves with no taste in Protein Shakes or my Decaf coffee. (It can make drinks sticky if the ration of powder to liquid isn't right).

My nutritionist recommends collagen Protein Powder to supplement my diet in general because it mixes so well in so many foods. You could give it a try and see if it helps!

Nutritionally speaking, collagen is a junk Protein. It is an incomplete protein that our own body produces as a by product. The reason it is enjoying any success right now as a supplement is because of the loophole that supplements are not reviewed by the FDA. Collagen rich foods however are reviewed and labelled as "not a significant source of protein".

If you would like to increase the amount of collagen you eat, you can just buy Jello or Pork rinds. Literally the same thing at a fraction of the cost.

Ive was curious about trying this too but I heard its best to start it or Biotin before your surgery which I didnt do. I suffered from severe Hair loss but it stopped around month 4/5.

22 hours ago, BigViffer said:

Nutritionally speaking, collagen is a junk Protein. It is an incomplete Protein that our own body produces as a by product. The reason it is enjoying any success right now as a supplement is because of the loophole that supplements are not reviewed by the FDA. collagen rich foods however are reviewed and labelled as "not a significant source of protein".

If you would like to increase the amount of collagen you eat, you can just buy Jello or Pork rinds. Literally the same thing at a fraction of the cost.

No... it should never be a primary source of protein, but my nutritionist does recommend using it in addition to other sources of protein.

collagen should not be counted as a Protein at all in our macros. If your nutritionist is saying that it is a bio-available protein, she is going against the FDA and known science. I would not recommend sticking with them. I've not met a nutritionist yet that was much more than a smoothie recipe repository and supplement salesperson, so I have a low opinion of them in general though.

If anyone - bariatric patient or not - eats complete Proteins, the body makes its own collagen.