Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's the immediate recovery like? (Days 1-4 post op)

Hi there, I'm new to this....my Surgery is next Friday -- I am nervous for the pain during the recovery. How much pain are people in in the days following the surgery? I am planning on bringing my laptop and working from the hotel here and there the following week, 3 days after the surgery -- will that even be possible? Any insights on how days 1, 2, 3, and 4 were would be greatly appreciated.

I am beyond excited for the new chapter afterwards, but am just trying to anticipate what to expect. Thanks for any experiences.

No pain. They give plenty on pain meds so you dont feel the wounds or anything. Make sure you dont drink too fast after surgery because you will feel nasea.

You may feel slight discomfort if anything because you have to becarful of your wounds, so you shuffel around very slowly.

No need to worry!

I actually didn't have much pain beyond a little gas, which I walked off pacing back and forth. You'll need help since your muscles will be healing, but it's not too bad. I actually had no additional pain meds beyond what they gave me during surgery.

It's scary, but it's surprisingly much easier to deal with than you think. Keep thinking positive thoughts and get excited about the changes you're making. Hang in there and good luck! ♡

I've had 5 lots of abdominal surgery...this one was the easiest recovery (because I wasn't actually ill to begin with).

Hello. I had the surgery last Monday. I was discharged Tues. I have not taken any narcotics since the recovery room. I had Tylenol IV and some Motrin IV; went home on just Tylenol. The 3rd day pre-op was the worst for me (Thurs.) I was having trouble getting the liquids in, and finally was told by the nutritionist to stop trying for Protein and just hydrate, it made ALL the difference. Gas pain was relieved by walking, walking, walking. I am not taking anything for pain now, because I really have no pain. So I also have not had that post op dopiness from having to take pain medication.

I have been working a bit. As long as you can take frequent breaks to walk around, and keep sipping, sipping sipping it is doable, and I actually found it helpfully distracting. TV shows and/or movies are ok, but they are only amusing for so long.

I also found my stomach really rumbling, and it felt like hunger. It has dramatically abated, I am not hungry like that anymore. I am sure it was part head hunger, part gas, and part that you still have hunger hormones and a very empty stomach. Anyway, for me day 3 it was hard, and watching people on tv eat made it worse. Also, until I got rehydrated, I was nauseous.

Good luck! For me, so far, it has been much less painful than I imagined.

pain is all across the board. Some people have it, some don't. I've been hanging out on various boards for five years, and from what I can tell, most people have little to no pain with this surgery. I'm not saying you won't, because some people do - but MOST have very little to none. I had no pain at all. I just had sore abs which felt like I'd done 100 crunches. I only felt it when I was transitioning from lying down to sitting up - or whatever. But just lying there or standing there or sitting there - nothing. No pain at all.

Thank you all so much for this info -- it's helping me cope with some major pre op nerves. I've had several laparoscopic procedures in the past, but this one is really making me nervous....and I'm finding I'm super emotional pre op!! Did anyone else experience crazy emotions prior to the surgery? I definitely have excitement, but also just a lot of emotion.

The discomfort from the laparoscopic puncture holes is minimal--seems like for most people the CO2 that they pump into your belly causes the worst pain. That certainly was my experience. Just walk as much as you can and that will help the gas pain subside, Other than the first 24 hours after surgery, I used NO pain meds.

You'll be tired and want to do nothing but sleep, but the pain won't be bad at all! Good luck and keep us posted on how it went!

Also it's totally normal to have all sorts of conflicting emotions! You ARE going through a major life change and you'd have to be a stone not to have them.

Edited by JRT Mom

1 minute ago, Elise1234 said:

Thank you all so much for this info -- it's helping me cope with some major pre op nerves. I've had several laparoscopic procedures in the past, but this one is really making me nervous....and I'm finding I'm super emotional pre op!! Did anyone else experience crazy emotions prior to the surgery? I definitely have excitement, but also just a lot of emotion.

If you didn't, you'd probably be a robot or something, hon. Emotions are normal to have. I was so scared when I went in for my surgery that I basically had a panic attack on the table, but I was just so worked up over what turned out to be thankfully nothing.

You just gotta remember to breathe and remind yourself why you're doing this.

No pain to speak of, mostly some soreness, like doing too many situps, which was taken care of by the meds. Was in the hospital for 2 days and didn't need any pain meds once I left.

2 hours ago, Sammi_Katt said:

If you didn't, you'd probably be a robot or something, hon. Emotions are normal to have. I was so scared when I went in for my surgery that I basically had a panic attack on the table, but I was just so worked up over what turned out to be thankfully nothing.

You just gotta remember to breathe and remind yourself why you're doing this.

Me, too - was calm as can be until they put the mask on me and had a panic attack, couldn't breathe which is unlike me. The nurse anesthetist calmed me down by placing her hand on my forehead and spoke softly, telling me to relax and breathe gently. Then I was out for the count.

Also had little pain post-op - like catwoman7 said about having done a lot of sit-ups. I never even opened the pain meds. Yes, use them if needed but be aware they cause Constipation and holding onto the gas which is a big cause of post-op pain (a catch-22.). Walking and sipping Water is so important to get rid of the gas and get things moving. I did have one episode of nausea a few hours after surgery, took one anti-nausea pill and never had it again.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned on the forum is that I had a few episodes the first day and night of feeling extremely cold - had to jump in a hot shower several times to warm up. It was probably slight shock from the surgery and it was gone by day 2.

Having this surgery was the best things I've ever done for my health - good luck!

19 hours ago, Stacy1234 said:

Hi there, I'm new to this....my Surgery is next Friday -- I am nervous for the pain during the recovery. How much pain are people in in the days following the surgery? I am planning on bringing my laptop and working from the hotel here and there the following week, 3 days after the surgery -- will that even be possible? Any insights on how days 1, 2, 3, and 4 were would be greatly appreciated.

I am beyond excited for the new chapter afterwards, but am just trying to anticipate what to expect. Thanks for any experiences.

The only pain that I had was a slight stinging from the wound from which they removed my stomach any other pain I did not have any, not even gas pains.The only pain that I had was a slight stinging from the wound from which they removed my stomach any other pain I did not have any, not even gas pains.

I will never forget day one sitting in the hospital room thinking, what the hell did I just do to myself. When I went home I couldn’t swallow Water it hurt too much, I would dip my tongue into the little medicine cup and absorb it I guess 😂. They gave me liquid oxy for home and it helped the pain but you will need to take something to help prevent Constipation if you can’t get enough fluids bc that’s miserable in itself. But best advice is set a timer, tell seri or Alexa to to remind you to drink. Walk, walk walk, don’t try to go hiking when you are still barely able to get food in bc you will feel good but if you over do it too quickly you will feel like or possibly pass out.

It was easy for me. I was able to get up and walk within an hour. I was able to go to the restroom. My son walked with me down the halls. I was able to sip and eat Jello. You will need to be kind to yourself. It's a major surgery and your body will need to heal and rest but make sure you walk and get them liquids in or you won't be able to go home. You have this! You can do it.