Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When Did You Stop Wearing "BIG" Clothes?

I'm curious. As I was walking today and the wind hit me, pulling my shirt tight across my stomach, I wondered when I'll stop wearing my "BIG" clothes and be confident to be seen in smaller sizes. I mean, I've hidden my body the best I can for the last 20 years. When will my mind let the thinner me out?

I'll be interested to hear your comments on when you were able to put on smaller clothes and actually felt like you could go out in public in them. Thanks for your input!

Hi Machalo!

I'm six months out, and a little over 70 lbs down. I started shopping in the standard sized section a few months ago, and I bought my first pair of size large pants about a week ago! I still wear baggier tops when I am wearing my more form fitting bottoms, but if I am wearing a generous sized pant, I will wear something a little tighter on top. Slowly but surely getting used to the changes in my body and can't wait to go shopping again!

1 hour ago, MsMocie said:

I would also like to add, that I have lost around 40kgs since surgery in august. I went from a size europeean 48ish, to now beeing a 40/42 ish. I haven't bought a single new garmet to wear.

I had my closets full of clothes bought over the years because one day I would fit in them. I had clothes kept on the hanger because I would fit in the AGAIN. I've been 60kgs before, and I lost it completely then clothesways. I don't know anyone except Kylie jenner and the Kardashian that have more clothes than I had and still have lots of. I needed at one point to have a room just with my clothes, purses and shoes. It faded when i returned to the fats though. SO THIS TIME, I am buying only what needs to be ought. Today da is to buy ne underwear

I am the same way. I kept all my clothes as the scale crept higher and I am so glad I did. I have sizes all the way to 6, so I should be good for awhile.

I've lost 80 lbs. and am eight months out. I've had to pay about $200 for jeans and sweatpants ranging in size from 42 waist at surgery to 34 waist now, since surgery. I've kept all of my larger tops and just wear them baggy. I know I could go to thrift shops and get more form fitting outfits, but it's an expense I don't need to make. I only got the jeans and sweatpants because the bigger sizes were falling down below my underwear, even with a belt.

I'm older though -- 60 -- and so I'm not so focused on my looks.

I'm curious. As I was walking today and the wind hit me, pulling my shirt tight across my stomach, I wondered when I'll stop wearing my "BIG" clothes and be confident to be seen in smaller sizes. I mean, I've hidden my body the best I can for the last 20 years. When will my mind let the thinner me out?
I'll be interested to hear your comments on when you were able to put on smaller clothes and actually felt like you could go out in public in them. Thanks for your input!

I got rid of my big clothes as soon as I shrank below that size. Refuse to keep them as I refuse to ever wear them again!

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I’m getting rid of things as they get too big and replacing them along the way. I’ve bought a lot of jeans at Costco-did you know they carry Calvin Klein and other designer jeans! Less than $20 a pair makes it affordable for me to buy things I won’t be wearing for long.

I'm sixty five, semi retired and work part time in a hospital. I refuse to spend any money on uniforms since I'm retired. So I just keep pulling the drawstring tighter on the pants. Eventually I'll alter them, but like Prestonandme I don't care that they are baggy. I love working in a field that I get to essentially wear pajamas to work!

1 minute ago, JRT Mom said:

I love working in a field that I get to essentially wear pajamas to work!

Me, too. LOL. 😂

I don't know how much more money I would've spent on clothes if I would be working in an office. Being able to simply draw a smaller size out of the closet or unimat machine makes things easier (and less expensive).

Had sleeve 9/23/19. Closing in to 50 lbs. From HW its 85. Last year when some of my basic clothing items were on sale I bought 2. One in then current smaller size then one size smaller. I’m now wearing the smaller size. I get rid of any clothes that are truly too big & not flattering. Will wear some tops that are a little bigger but not bottoms. I’m proud of my hard work & have no problem showing it off.

Thanks everyone for your input. I work in a business-casual office and subsist on 2 pairs of stretch pants (black & grey) and about 8 baggy tops that I rotate. Not much into fashion, but then I've been out of the "fashion"able clothing for so long, I don't even know what the fashions are anymore. My go to place will likely be the thrift shops as I shrink so that I can get a couple of staple items that I can rotate for a while. Maybe something from one of the "shops," but we'll see.

Thank you again!