Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dealing with Water Retention after Off-Diet Days

I'm 10 1/2 months post-sleeve, and I've had what I KNOW is a lot of success--HW of 406 exactly one year ago, 368 on surgery date, and I'm 228 today. Though...I was 221 only five days ago, but dear friends in town equaled two days of fantastic wine and eating all day as we played tourists in my hometown...aaaand I found myself at 231 on Tuesday morning. And now I want to scream: How did I screw up my own great progress, after a January of doggedly trying to break a stall, finally succeeding...and now I have to re-lose these ten pounds before getting back to it?? What's making it so anxiety producing is, I know this "weight gain" is mostly water--I mean, I can clearly see that my wrists and my feet especially are swollen, but the Water weight is being pretty stubborn these past two days in coming off. This might be a fight. Dang it! How did I set myself back like this!!

I have two questions, then: First, any tips on how to shed off the excess water? I am hydrating throughout the day, since a friend said that it's good to keep flushing your system (or something, it sounded believable). Tomorrow, I'm cutting way way back on salt (though I have to have some sodium or else I get light-headed)...any other tips?

Second, anyone else go off-diet and yet found themself get back into the groove?? I have had some off-days before--just a couple over almost an entire year, and never more than two days in a row, but this feels different. Scarier. Like I derailed myself and there's no correcting it--maybe because I felt SO CLOSE when I saw that 221 on Friday morning. Like I could actually do it--my surgeon set a goal of 180 which I always thought was ridiculously impossible but when I saw the 221, yeah, suddenly I thought I really COULD get to the 180, let alone the 200 I had dreamed of when I thought of a "goal weight" pre-surgery. And now I've just slid so far back. Any experiences that you've had successfully coming back on the tracks, I'd love to hear--or even just bald reassurance, because I'll take any encouragement you have!

One thing I know can help is drinking more Water, which will pull the excess from you. Another thing I read was to add a magnesium supplement. I googled it and here are the results: https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+deal+with+water+retention&oq=how+to+deal+with+water+retention&aqs=chrome..69i57j35i39l2j69i65l2j69i60l3.6987j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Hope this helps!

there's pretty much no way you could gain 10 lbs in a week unless it was mostly Water. You're doing what you need to do to get rid of it - cut back on sodium and drink lots of fluids.