Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When can I have toast again?

I'm almost 3 months out from loop duodenal switch surgery and jonesing for a BLT, club sandwich, heck even just half a slice with some Peanut Butter.< /p>

I certainly don't want to rush things. I was instructed to avoid bread, rice and Pasta for 3-6 months, but I've also read that toast isn't so bad? Is that just a myth you is there something legit in the toasting that isn't as bad as plain squishy bread?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using BariatricPal mobile app

I think if you want to try any kind of bread try either great low carb bread company bread or thin slim foods zero carb bread since both are a balance of low carb, low calorie, Fiber and Protein. I’ve had great low carb brand in the past.

the main thing is to get your protein, and be mindful when you try something new, that you continue to lose weight.

BariatricPal sells thin slim zero carb breads, I have not tempted myself to try it yet but the ingredients look good and chicory root is an excellent Prebiotic fiber

https://store.bariatricpal.com/collections/low-carb-protein-bread-bagels-buns-pizza-crust/products/thinslim-foods-zero-carb-protein-bread-plain

a decent substitute for Peanut Butter. It does have a little erythritol. It’s not supposed to cause gastric distress but depends on the person

https://store.bariatricpal.com/collections/nut-butters/products/nutilight-sugar-free-protein-hazelnut-spread-dark-chocolate

I did order myself some great low carb orzo Pasta ... 2 oz is 110 calories, 18 grams protein, 12 grams fiber and 7 net carbs.

https://store.bariatricpal.com/products/great-low-carb-pasta-rice-orzo

8 hours ago, Darktowerdream said:

I did order myself some great low carb orzo Pasta ... 2 oz is 110 calories, 18 grams Protein, 12 grams fiber and 7 net carbs.

Ok, girl. Spill it! Where did you get the Pasta. Can you hook me up to the link please? :) TIA!

(Also Chuck, you could make my lo lo psylli chaffles and have one of them without being off-plan. :) I'm trying to get the website and recipe up soon. ) Here's my take on PBJ: My Lo Lo Psylli Chaffle with Peanut Butter (I combine real peanut butter with peanut butter powder for a lighter version.) The chaffle only has like 37 calories or something crazy like that and has 4g protein and 4g fiber so zero net carbs.

peanut-butter-blueberry-lo-lo-chaffle_6557.thumb.JPG.98f707acc5d25d1eebfa0da701a41af1.JPG peanut-butter-blueberry-lo-lo-chaffle_6567.thumb.JPG.4cd81df1e2cb431e5035e7b3e9643265.JPG

if you're avoiding bread for carb reasons, then I don't think toasting it is going to make any difference.

I didn't eat bread at all during the weight loss phase, since I was following a moderately low carb diet (not ultra low carb like a lot of bariatric patients do). I do eat bread occasionally now that I'm in maintenance - but then thing to keep in mind is that it's not terribly nutritious, and it takes up valuable space in our tiny stomachs. You're usually better off filling the space with Protein and nutrient-dense things like vegetables.

1 hour ago, FluffyChix said:

Ok, girl. Spill it! Where did you get the Pasta. Can you hook me up to the link please? :) TIA!

I ordered it from the BariatricPal Store but you can also get it from netrition.com.

here’s the BariatricPal link:

https://store.bariatricpal.com/products/great-low-carb-pasta-rice-orzo

Overall their products are very good. I have not used them since my surgery though.

another product I highly recommend is better than foods better than rice, it’s a shiritaki rice. Cooked right it tastes good. Rinse and drain in a fine metal strainer and pat excess Water away. I’d put in a nonstick pan with a spritz of olive or avocado oil to remove excess water, I used braggs aminos instead of salt and seasoned liberally with whatever the dish I was making. I like frontier co-op seasoning blends liked Mexican fiesta, or harissa, or all purpose seasoning. (I haven’t made this in a while but would make one pot dishes with it.)

https://betterthanfoods.com

I’ve never made a Chaffle. Im trying to stay away from cheese. It’s nice and simple though one large egg and 1/2 cup finely shredded mozzarella.
I can’t imagine that it’s only 37 calories. Given that a Egglands Best large egg is 60 calories and 1/4 cup of fat free shredded mozzarella is 45 calories.

ive bought pancake mix on BariatricPal that’s 90 calories and 15 grams Protein. It’s actually good.

chaffles

https://thatlowcarblife.com/chaffles/

Edited by Darktowerdream

4 hours ago, Darktowerdream said:

can’t imagine that it’s only 37 calories. Given that a Egglands Best large egg is 60 calories and 1/4 cup of fat free shredded mozzarella is 45 calories.

I don't do the traditional recipe. Too eggy and too fattening. So I do them differently and they are very breadlike.

image.thumb.png.b65cdd74c606047efe2cf0070d64bf30.png

I made this Breakfast for only 202 calories this morning including the salad:

IMG_6854.thumb.JPG.55ef40a0469a7513f76f7a63f2516345.JPG IMG_6857.thumb.JPG.75979cb8e645b57abb8b8848df507fd9.JPG IMG_6862.thumb.JPG.a8bc90435160c2bdbe795e0abbc74480.JPG

16 hours ago, ColoradoCanuck said:

but I've also read that toast isn't so bad? Is that just a myth you is there something legit in the toasting that isn't as bad as plain squishy bread?

Depends on your treatment team's policy. We were allowed bread after 4 weeks.

1 hour ago, FluffyChix said:

I don't do the traditional recipe. Too eggy and too fattening. So I do them differently and they are very breadlike.

IMG_6854.thumb.JPG.55ef40a0469a7513f76f7a63f2516345.JPG

I wish I had energy for recipes like that. I can quite eat foods like that yet, still dealing with issues here. But that looks awesome 👏

I don’t think people realize there are healthy options for breads they can either make or even buy that have Protein and fiber and can be low calories.

like I saw an ad for this and it looks pretty interesting

https://www.outeraislegourmet.com/products/cauliflower-sandwich-thins

18 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

IMG_6854.thumb.JPG.55ef40a0469a7513f76f7a63f2516345.JPG IMG_6857.thumb.JPG.75979cb8e645b57abb8b8848df507fd9.JPG IMG_6862.thumb.JPG.a8bc90435160c2bdbe795e0abbc74480.JPG

Dear Lord @FluffyChix bag that up and send it to me NOW! I am drooling, orn i could just make it myself huh lol

1 hour ago, Bastian said:

orn i could just make it myself huh lol

Yes! This doooooo eeeetttt! (the 2nd ounce of cheese is to use between the 8 chaffles. Sprinkle a little on the bottom of the Iron, then place the dough and squish it out a little (it's thick) then a little more cheese on the top. That makes them brown and crispy!

I just saw these chaffle recipes posted on Facebook by Primal Kitchen

vanilla Blueberry
1 Egg
1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese
1 Tbsp Almond Flour
Primal Kithcne Vanilla Primal Fuel
1 Tsp Monk Fruit
Blueberries

Tagalong Chaffle
1 Egg
1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese
1 Tbsp Almond Flour
Primal Kitchen Peanut Butter collagen Fuel
1 Tsp raw Cacao Powder
1 Tsp Monk Fruit

Shop and SAVE with promo code VALENTINE25 at checkout:
http://bit.ly/2Smx4Ug
Promo code expires Feb 21st at 11:59pm PST. #eatlikeyourlifedependsonit

On 2/13/2020 at 8:47 PM, ColoradoCanuck said:

I'm almost 3 months out from loop duodenal switch surgery and jonesing for a BLT, club sandwich, heck even just half a slice with some Peanut Butter.< /p>

I certainly don't want to rush things. but I've also read that toast isn't so bad? Is that just a myth you is there something legit in the toasting that isn't as bad as plain squishy bread?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using BariatricPal mobile app

Don't waste this surgery and opportunity to get your weight off

You said, "I was instructed to avoid bread, rice and Pasta for 3-6 months " If its not on your plan, don't eat it. Trust your medical professional before anyone's advice on this site. (It does not matter what others are doing or if their plans look different)

Call your dietitian/surgeons office and ask if you can eat bread, Peanut Butter, or BLT . Or any foods you are questioning

Had a mate come over for a weekend and he eats whatever he likes...

He brought bread and the smell of fresh hot toast was lingering all over the room...

So I took a gamble and cooked a slice of toast with a little vegemite; I just ate the middle not the crust Omggg it was amazing my first bite of toast in 5 months...(3 months post op)

Didn't bother me at all..

Currently 10 days away from 6 months since starting this diet journey and I'm 140lbs down!

I was told by my bariatric practitioner that UNTOASTED bread an get Gummy, ball up in your pouch, and cause trouble. Toasting the bread makes it more crumbly thus making it easier to make it’s journey through the narrow passage.

I was allowed 1/2 slice of toast when I transitioned to a general diet, about 7 weeks post-op.