Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid diet struggles

39 minutes ago, 3sonsitk said:

I just posted on this. First 2 days, Thursday and yesterday (Valentines Day) was a wash. Today is better except for 3 slices of sandwich ham. I feel like I’m starving but pushing through. You can do it. I’ve read many posts where people have cheated and still had surgery. Not that I’m saying that you will but it happens.

Well, I ended up having some crackers. I read somewhere that you can put them in Soup an it makes it liquid? Idk. But I just needed to crunch on something before I went bananas. I'm still sticking to it, and I've lost weight, but it's definitely more difficult then I imagined it would be. I know it will all be worth it in the end. You're lucky to have some ham slices! I wish I could. 🤤 But it's just liquids. 😩

On 2/15/2020 at 3:26 PM, TheAngryMeow said:

Well, I ended up having some crackers. I read somewhere that you can put them in Soup an it makes it liquid? Idk.

Assuming your bariatric surgeon’s office has a dietitian, I would bounce that question off them first. I had all kinds of issues with the liquid pre-op diet last year, it was one of the reasons why I opted out at the last minute, 2 days before surgery last year. I am not looking forward to doing it again, but health matters dictate I must get past it this time around.

I kept in contact with three others who were in my pre-op support group who went through the sleeve surgery in 2019. All three are now reaching a year post-op and the feedback I am getting is encouraging, but cautious. One of them has not been as successful as the others but she knows what she is doing wrong. From what she tells me, she “grazes” and eats small amounts of food constantly during the day and evening. She has gained back about 35% of the weight she initially lost and is now considering revision surgery and moving to full bypass. She says her biggest mistake was not reaching out for help.

I plan to be active in this support group, I know I am going to need help and I want to make myself available to help others.

I'm doing ok so far. I've talked with someone and it's not a big deal. The last 10 days of the pre-op diet I plan to stick exclusively to liquids. I've read on here that there are people who had popcorn or something along those lines during liquid diets and they still have had surgery. I've lost nearly 10lbs in a week, and the whole point is to shrink my liver.

I also talked to a friend who had RNY, and he kinda scared me straight the night I had cravings for taco Bell. I have been so tempted to eat anything besides Soup, but I haven't.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey.