Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions for Right After Surgery

Hey all

I had my sleeve on Monday and overall I feel pretty good, but have some questions for some of you veterans:

1. Does anyone know a liquid Tylenol without sugar? I am having a terrible time getting my medication in me in a reasonable amount of time.

2. Does the nausea feeling fade? I am having a difficult time choking down Protein drinks; I tried a protein Water but it was so sweet and chemically I threw it back up. I can tolerate the taste of Iconic Protein Drinks (have Stevia instead of the other fake sugars) but after 4 to 6 ounces I get nauseous and cannot finish the drink;

3. Did anyone else have headaches? I am wondering if it is from a bit of dehydration and just plain hunger. Once I get the Tylenol in it goes away.

4. Any ideas for protein water that does not taste so sweet?

5. When did you weigh yourself?

Thank you!

I'm too far out to remember some of this stuff, but as far as weighing yourself goes, wait a week. They pump you full of salt Water (IV fluid) during your hospital stay, so most of us come back home weighing more than what we did when we went to the hospital. But it's all Fluid. If you wait a week, that fluid will have worked its way out of your system - and you may be down an additional couple of pounds as well.

15 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

I'm too far out to remember some of this stuff, but as far as weighing yourself goes, wait a week. They pump you full of salt Water (IV fluid) during your hospital stay, so most of us come back home weighing more than what we did when we went to the hospital. But it's all Fluid. If you wait a week, that Fluid will have worked its way out of your system - and you may be down an additional couple of pounds as well.

Thanks. I feel really large and bloated, so I've avoided the scale. (I've had lots of practice in avoiding that thing...)

17 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

I'm too far out to remember some of this stuff, but as far as weighing yourself goes, wait a week. They pump you full of salt Water (IV fluid) during your hospital stay, so most of us come back home weighing more than what we did when we went to the hospital. But it's all Fluid. If you wait a week, that Fluid will have worked its way out of your system - and you may be down an additional couple of pounds as well.

This is so true! I came home after 4.5 days in the hospital weighing in at 229 when I went in for surgery I was 214! It took almost 2 weeks to lose the Water weight from the hospital.

1 hour ago, lisafrommassachusetts said:

1. Does anyone know a liquid Tylenol without sugar? I am having a terrible time getting my medication in me in a reasonable amount of time.

2. Does the nausea feeling fade? I am having a difficult time choking down Protein drinks; I tried a Protein Water but it was so sweet and chemically I threw it back up. I can tolerate the taste of Iconic Protein Drinks (have Stevia instead of the other fake sugars) but after 4 to 6 ounces I get nauseous and cannot finish the drink;

3. Did anyone else have headaches? I am wondering if it is from a bit of dehydration and just plain hunger. Once I get the Tylenol in it goes away.

4. Any ideas for protein Water that does not taste so sweet?

5. When did you weigh yourself?

1. I do not think they make sugar free Tylenol the taste would be unbarable

2. Yes as time goes on you will be less Nausea, Try the Core Power brand of PDs The banana is reall good

3. I did not get headaches

4. Dilute the protein water Half and Half with water or a gatoraide

5. Do not get addicted to the scale - I logged and weighed myself twice a month

2 minutes ago, AJ Tylo said:

1. I do not think they make sugar free Tylenol the taste would be unbarable

2. Yes as time goes on you will be less Nausea, Try the Core Power brand of PDs The banana is reall good

3. I did not get headaches

4. Dilute the Protein Water Half and Half with water or a gatoraide

5. Do not get addicted to the scale - I logged and weighed myself twice a month

Thank you for the suggestions. I know this is a short term issue, but all this fake sweet is making me nauseaus!

26 minutes ago, MsMocie said:

I didn't weigh myself for about 2 months out. I didn't need it.

Wow! That is a long while to wait, I think the curiosity will get to me before then!

5 minutes ago, AJ Tylo said:

That looks perfect, except my surgeon wants me on Tylenol, not Advil, because of stomach bleeding issues with Advil. I am going to do an internet search for children's liquid Tylenol, maybe there is one buried out there somewhere! Thank you for your efforts!

1. I don't think they make a sugar-free Tylenol liquid. That being said, there are alternatives. Me, I used children's chewable Tylenol. I only used it for about a week or 2, so I wasn't concerned with the sugar in it. If you're that averse to any form of sugar: crush regular Tylenol (NOT EXTENDED RELEASE) and put it in whatever SF medium you like: Protein Drink, pudding, etc.

2. The only nausea I had was while I was in the hospital. It went away by the time I got home.

3. Headaches can be caused by multiple things. Yes, if you're dehydrated, you can get a headache. You can also get them from carb-withdrawal. 2 possibilities I see here. Stay hydrated and stay the course. It should get better.

4. Sorry, no suggestions for non-sweet Protein Water. BUT, Unjury brand protein supplements offer savory varieties. I like the chicken Soup one. *They're a little high in sodium content, but a welcome break from the sweet varieties.

5. I didn't weigh myself for at least a week after surgery. I honestly didn't really care. I was so focused on recovering that I wasn't worried about it. Besides, I didn't think it would be terribly accurate because of all the Fluid shifting related to surgery. They pump you full of IV fluids and your body itself is adjusting to the trauma of surgery. Be patient.

15 minutes ago, S@ssen@ch said:

1. I don't think they make a sugar-free Tylenol liquid. That being said, there are alternatives. Me, I used children's chewable Tylenol. I only used it for about a week or 2, so I wasn't concerned with the sugar in it. If you're that averse to any form of sugar: crush regular Tylenol (NOT EXTENDED RELEASE) and put it in whatever SF medium you like: Protein Drink, pudding, etc.

2. The only nausea I had was while I was in the hospital. It went away by the time I got home.

3. Headaches can be caused by multiple things. Yes, if you're dehydrated, you can get a headache. You can also get them from carb-withdrawal. 2 possibilities I see here. Stay hydrated and stay the course. It should get better.

4. Sorry, no suggestions for non-sweet Protein Water. BUT, Unjury brand Protein supplements offer savory varieties. I like the chicken Soup one. *They're a little high in sodium content, but a welcome break from the sweet varieties.

5. I didn't weigh myself for at least a week after surgery. I honestly didn't really care. I was so focused on recovering that I wasn't worried about it. Besides, I didn't think it would be terribly accurate because of all the Fluid shifting related to surgery. They pump you full of IV fluids and your body itself is adjusting to the trauma of surgery. Be patient.

Thank you so much. I really am not adverse to the small amount of sugar that would be in liquid Tylenol for kids, but the nurse at the hospital said it could cause "dumping", which of course I don't want.

I'm hoping the nausea gets better soon! the thought of anything other than just Water makes me queasy. I had some chicken Bone Broth yesterday it was a nice break from the sweet stuff, but I could not get it all down. I am going to practice patience.

If I have to do the protein drinks 1 oz at a time all day alternating with water then I'll try that. I want to heal.