Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 month post up trouble sleeping

Hi,

I am 1 month post op and I have den having the hardest time staying asleep. I don't have a problem falling asleep but then I wake up 3 hours later and toss and turn. My Dr prescribed Ambien to help but it's not doing much. I am trying to get my fluids and Protein in but I feel like I am thirsty a lot. I also wake and my heart is beating fast in my chest. I'm wondering if I am dehydrated? Anyone else have the same issues?

could be - especially if you're feeling thirsty all night. I'm not sure about the heart palpitations, but I know dehydration can cause a lot of issues, such as nausea. But at any rate, that could very well be what's going on.

You have sent your body into a whirlwind between the surgery and the diet changes - Also you may have gone off the alcohol and caffiene -

I have always been a light sleeper and post surgery it has even got worse, I added a few new pillows and a sleep sound machine to my room and it seems to be helping

I'm having the same problem. I just had surgery Tuesday and I never have a hard time sleeping. The dr gave me Ambien too but after a few hours Im awake.

I'm having the same problem. I just had surgery Tuesday and I never have a hard time sleeping. The dr gave me Ambien too but after a few hours Im awake.

Are you napping during the day from pain meds? That could affect your sleep routine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327AZ using BariatricPal mobile app

I started my Ambien back a week after my gastric sleeve. And for that week every night when I would go to sleep, I would get up and sleepwalk up and down the stairs. Draw on the walls and the mirrors with red lipstick and I seen a little bitty, midget, looking trolls in the house.my doctor took me off of it quick. He said yeah it can have those kind of side effects so I guess it affects everyone different.

Oh, and let me add my daughter found me in the laundry room sitting on top of the dryer she was like mom what are you doing and she said I would just stare at her so I think I was sleepwalking and she would give me back to bed.

I've had insomnia forever and was on ambien before the surgery. I am a night owl and a grad student so I can go to sleep at 6am and be up sometime after 2pm. But even with ambien and benadryl, I'm lucky if I fall asleep after 10am. Yesterday was worse because I only slept for 2 hours. But I'm not tired at all. Does sleep get better? I'm only 3 weeks out.