Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not enough weight for surgery

Yes, those of us with lower BMI's are very likely to go from XL or plus size to normal sizes very fast. I initially only bought workout clothes while I was on FMLA. When I knew I had to go back to work, I ordered size large Tunics and stretchy work appropriate pants. I figured the tunics would cover the tighter then looser pants. And they did. But... about a month later they were way too big still. I am 5 months out. I wear a size 8 pants with medium tops most of the time, but am also wearing some size 6 and smalls.
Okay. Currently I'm a size 16/18 and am hoping to end at a 7/8. A 5/6 would be amazing though I'm not sure that's in the cards for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Yes, I am scheduled for RNY on March 11, and have struggled both with my feelings and with others’ perceptions that since I “only” have 100 lbs to lose that this step is too extreme. I’m a 40 BMI. But the two things that I keep telling myself are 1) I gained the most recent 30 lbs bc of some meds I am on, and immediately obesity-related health problems came up. So this is no only about me wanting to wear a single digit dress size. This is about my actual long-term health and being healthy and alive for my family. And 2) I have TRIED all the “traditional” strategies, and no matter how hard I try, I just never really lose. I just keep gaining. So, why wait until I’m 200 lbs overweight instead of 100?

So, I’m still working through this myself, and I’m happy to share thoughts with other lower BMI patients as we go through this. I do believe though in my heart that I’m doing the right thing.

1 hour ago, Slimmy-mommeee said:

Okay. Currently I'm a size 16/18 and am hoping to end at a 7/8. A 5/6 would be amazing though I'm not sure that's in the cards for me.

It is definitely a possibility! I was a 16 for the most part but some were too small. Getting down to a 5/6 depends on bone structure too... but my friend is definitely a 6 now, I am getting there. There are a few who get to smaller sizes I have seen on this board!

Yes, I am scheduled for RNY on March 11, and have struggled both with my feelings and with others’ perceptions that since I “only” have 100 lbs to lose that this step is too extreme. I’m a 40 BMI. But the two things that I keep telling myself are 1) I gained the most recent 30 lbs bc of some meds I am on, and immediately obesity-related health problems came up. So this is no only about me wanting to wear a single digit dress size. This is about my actual long-term health and being healthy and alive for my family. And 2) I have TRIED all the “traditional” strategies, and no matter how hard I try, I just never really lose. I just keep gaining. So, why wait until I’m 200 lbs overweight instead of 100?

So, I’m still working through this myself, and I’m happy to share thoughts with other lower BMI patients as we go through this. I do believe though in my heart that I’m doing the right thing.
I've tried multiple weightloss strategies also. Even went to the weightloss management clinic at the hospital I'm have surgery at. My primary doctor is with Jefferson Hospital and my surgery is through that same hospitals bariatric center. I've done phentermine, topiramate, saxenda... thru it all I would lose maybe 20lbs and gain it + more back. This battle has been going on for years and it's time for this portion to end. The next stage is battle food addiction and get back to the active me.

Hi. My BMI was 35.8. And my weight at the start of pre op was 222. Day of surgery on 10/15/19 was 207. I am now 162ish with a BMI of 26.

I’m thrilled with my progress so far. I’m getting so close to a normal BMI I can taste it! Lol

I had several co morbidities (except diabetes). I’m much healthier already after only 4 months!

I don’t know your age but I can tell you that unless you get your weight by some means, it will only get worse.

Best wishes!!

My starting BMI was 43.7 and I had one surgeons office lady tell me I needed to be 50 BMI for bypass & they tried pushing the sleeve.

so I politely hung up the phone and went elsewhere lol found out later that surgeon wasn't very experienced!

Finally got my RNY and I'm now 24.7 BMI :)

On 2/13/2020 at 3:04 AM, Slimmy-mommeee said:

So I have a 38.8 bmi, fatty liver disease, type 2 diabetes (barely and the number has gone down) and my insurance approved me for surgery on 3/2/20. I'm really excited but I keep feeling like like I'm not heavy enough for surgery. Does anyone else with a bmi under 40 feel that way? The crazy thing is I'm in constant pain from my joints neck and back so I'm not sure why these doubt keep coming.

my bmi was 36 no comorbidities. So you will be fine.

I have a BMI if 36 with no comorbidities at all but I’d lost 100lbs+ in my own. I’m having surgery because it’s impossible for me to continue losing more weight. I’ve been less but I was always starving. I feel like this tool will help me finally lose the weight and my goals will stick. My sleeve surgery is 2/25/2020. The only thing was I was too healthy for my insurance to cover it but I didn’t want to sit around and wait to develop health issues or gain more weight.

I have a BMI if 36 with no comorbidities at all but I’d lost 100lbs+ in my own. I’m having surgery because it’s impossible for me to continue losing more weight. I’ve been less but I was always starving. I feel like this tool will help me finally lose the weight and my goals will stick. My sleeve surgery is 2/25/2020. The only thing was I was too healthy for my insurance to cover it but I didn’t want to sit around and wait to develop health issues or gain more weight.
How are things going? Your surgery date is right around the corner!

Honestly I am very happy that my BMI is 35 and not 40, it’s less distance that I need to go. If it weren’t legit, insurance wouldn’t approve it so maybe that is one way to look at it!