Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 years post sleeve

I have many questions. Had my sleeve 2 years ago. Still have 15lbs to lose for goal. What and how much should I be eating now? My serving sizes are 1 cup or less, meaning a total of 1 cup per meal. I am eating regular foods. More Protein than carbs. I feel I may be eating too big of portions. Also, how soon after eating can I drink fluids? Can anyone let me know how those that are 2 or more years out, how are you doing and how are you keeping the weight off?

at that far out, it's going to be a very individual thing. If you're not already doing so, log your food intake for a couple of weeks to get a sense of your average calorie intake per day. To lose more weight, you'll have to cut your calories back, so try cutting 100 calories from your average. If your weight doesn't budge after a couple of weeks at 100 calories less than what you're currently eating, then cut another 100 calories. Rinse and repeat. You'll eventually find your "sweet spot" where you're losing weight again.

Keep in mind, though, that the closer you get to a normal BMI, the harder and slower it is to lose weight. It took FOREVER for me to get the last 20 lbs off.

the eating/drinking thing is for life. Most of us are told to wait at least 30 minutes after eating before drinking anything (although my surgeon wants us to wait for at least an hour, which I USUALLY do...)

I am 2 years out exactly. I lost 75lbs, but still need to lose 20lbs to reach goal. I too am stuck, and have been for about 6 months. I have been very slack about counting calories, and getting exercise. I don't think your portions are excessive, but maybe what's in them? I love eating all fish and seafood, and until recently didn't realise that salmon fillet is 2 x the calories of a white fish like barramundi. I love scallops and they are very low in fat. Prawns, crab, oysters (baby octopus... Yum!) are a little higher, but compared to other Protein foods such as rump, they are very rich in protein and very low in fat. My dietician told me that to get a general idea of the fat content of most fish species, look at the color of the flesh. The leanest species such as cod and flounder have a white or lighter color, and fattier fish such as salmon, herring, and mackerel usually have a much darker color.

On 2/13/2020 at 1:09 AM, JerseyNanny said:

What and how much should I be eating now?

Depends on so many things.

How much you should be eating depends on what position sizes satisfy both mental and physical hunger.

What you should be eating depends e. g. on your taste preferences, intolerances, allergies, meeting nutritional requirements, some common sense and (if that is important for you) ethical and/or environmental considerations.

What some people trying to lose weight are doing is logging their food for a few days and then cutting the calories by e. g. 300 or 500. Others cut out meals without counting calories. There is more than one way to Rome and you'll have to find yours.

Pretty much what all the previous statements made. I have about 15 - 20 more pounds before hitting my goal as well. For me, I eat one small meal and drink my Protein (shakes, Water, nectar, fruit juices....all found in the store). I rarely hungry!

On 2/12/2020 at 11:52 PM, catwoman7 said:

at that far out, it's going to be a very individual thing. If you're not already doing so, log your food intake for a couple of weeks to get a sense of your average calorie intake per day. To lose more weight, you'll have to cut your calories back, so try cutting 100 calories from your average. If your weight doesn't budge after a couple of weeks at 100 calories less than what you're currently eating, then cut another 100 calories. Rinse and repeat. You'll eventually find your "sweet spot" where you're losing weight again.

Keep in mind, though, that the closer you get to a normal BMI, the harder and slower it is to lose weight. It took FOREVER for me to get the last 20 lbs off.

the eating/drinking thing is for life. Most of us are told to wait at least 30 minutes after eating before drinking anything (although my surgeon wants us to wait for at least an hour, which I USUALLY do...)

Thank you so much for that Catwoman! I'm in the process of re-losing 15lbs to my goal weight. I've noticed that I also had to go back to keeping a food diary and being stricter than normal with my food choices. I'm upset that I allowed myself to gain 15lbs once I achieved my goal weight. I became very lax with my food choices. But now I am exercising, toning, and eating more balanced than I was before. This time I don't have the 'skinny' look. I look more 'toned.' This is what I wanted. But it truly starts with your diet and finding your 'sweet spot.' It is all worth it in the end for a healthier you!

May 25th it will be 2 yrs for me. I did so great in the first year and a half. Then I don’t know what happened. Well I know. I started to be bored and ate. Small meals all day. Ridiculous! I’m so mad at myself. I was 215 the day of my surgery. I got down to 155. Wanted to get just to the other side of 150 and I would of been in cloud 9. But nope. I’m now 172 pounds. I’m trying to get back to 160. I’ve started to keep a log on what I eat. Chewing my food. And small plate abs fork. I feel hungry. When I eat I don’t get the filling I used too. Witch is so sad to me. I turned 60 in February and I’m so disappointed in myself. So coming in here and reading helps. So thanks everyone on this post for the suggestions. I haven’t had a Protein Shake in awhile. So when I think I’m hungry, I’ll turn to those. Thanks again.