Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is happening?!?!

So, I had VSG on July 25, 2019. I haven’t had any issues or stalls or anything for about 5 months. Then comes January. I lost about 5 lbs total that month. I had no changes in my diet or anything, and I was eating about 900 cals/day and going to the gym lifting/doing cardio 3-4 times a week. I gained and lost the same two pounds the last two weeks of that month. I had my birth control implant changed in December, so I started thinking that maybe hormones were playing a part because I was on point with everything else.

Now it’s February, and I’ve lost 17 lbs since last Thursday (according to my scale). Let me explain. I usually only weigh myself in Wednesday’s, but since I hadn’t been losing, I was temporarily keeping track of my weight every couple of days. I weighed in at 244.4 last Thursday. Last Saturday, I weighed 238.7. I thought this was reasonable because maybe I had been retaining Water and maybe I lost a couple of pounds. Fine. Yesterday, I weighed 234.5. I was shocked. I was expecting around the same number I had seen two days before. It’s worth noting that I only record my Wednesday weight. That’s the “official” one. The others are just to see if I need to make any tweaks. Well this morning, after weighing in at 234.5 yesterday, I weighed 227.5. HOW?!?! What is going on?!?! I weigh myself on the same scale wearing the same thing (which is nothing) each time. My brain can’t make sense of this. I stepped off the scale to clear it, let it turn off, then I stepped on again, and it was the same weight. Has this happened to anyone else? Because 17 lbs is like, first couple of weeks post-op numbers. I was afraid to record it because I’m terrified I’m gonna rebound or something. Any guidance you guys could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Yes

• STOP STEPPING ON THE scale - IT IS NOT A SET THING EVERY MONTH~!

Everybody except me is driving them self nuts with the scales, if you know you are on course and following the plan just enjoy your life and you are getting healthy and happy! The number does not matter but twice a month - then take those numbers and divide them by 52 weeks a year! This is a journey not a sprint i had weeks i lost 15 pounds then weeks i lost 3 - but after six months the average was great and i was happy and done!

I mean thats pretty awesome! lol But maybe just double check tomorrow morning. The body can do some weird things. Its certainly strange but see how tomorrow looks and then go from there maybe. Or try another scale and see if it comes back the same.

My rule of thumb is that I have to get the same number on the scale for three days in a row for it to be a "real" reading

1 hour ago, AJ Tylo said:

Yes

Everybody except me is driving them self nuts with the scales, if you know you are on course and following the plan just enjoy your life and you are getting healthy and happy! The number does not matter but twice a month - then take those numbers and divide them by 52 weeks a year! This is a journey not a sprint i had weeks i lost 15 pounds then weeks i lost 3 - but after six months the average was great and i was happy and done!

I definitely see your logic here, but I’m working with a trainer, and I have some very specific fitness goals I’m trying to achieve. Weekly weigh-ins, measurements, and progress pics are necessary. If he adjusts my diet, he’ll have me step on the scale a couple of days later to see what effect it has on me. He’s worked with bariatric patients before, but this is type of loss is making him scratch his head too. Thanks for your input tho!

1 hour ago, AJ Tylo said:

Yes

Not everyone is "driving them self nuts with the scales". Many of us are perfectly capable of weighing regularly and still keeping it all in perspective. There is not only one path to weight loss success. What works for you may not work for someone else.

There are a lot of bariatric rules I do not follow. But logging all my food and weighing myself regularly was critical to my success in my weight loss phase, and continues to be now that I am in maintenance

Check your battery. :) But any way you slice, you gotta love and give mad proppahs to THE WHOOSH! :D

(IDK...I kinda dig weighing nekkidy daily, the having my clothed PP/AP recordings that then get subtracted from the nekkidy total. Hahahahaaha! I keep some impressive data... ;) )

I weigh myself every morning... I don't get down on myself for stalls. Because i have been down this road before, i know that things can change quickly..... I found i will stall a few days and then bam!!! 1-2lbs. Just take it as it comes. If you are weight training... this could be why you stalled also.... i know after band removal and pre sleeve... i was doing crossfit and the scale was not my friend....

1 hour ago, BayougirlMrsS said:

I weigh myself every morning... I don't get down on myself for stalls. Because i have been down this road before, i know that things can change quickly..... I found i will stall a few days and then bam!!! 1-2lbs. Just take it as it comes. If you are weight training... this could be why you stalled also.... i know after band removal and pre sleeve... i was doing crossfit and the scale was not my friend....

Thanks for the advice! In this case, I didn’t care about the stall. I was more so concerned about losing 17 lbs in one week and being 6 months post-op. Us bariatric patients are a strange group. It seems like lose or not, we’re always finding reasons to worry. LOL! I’m just gonna go with what the scale says and not stress about it. Thanks again!!

8 hours ago, LessFee said:

definitely see your logic here, but I’m working with a trainer, and I have some very specific fitness goals I’m trying to achieve. Weekly weigh-ins, measurements, and progress pics are necessary. If he adjusts my diet, he’ll have me step on the scale a couple of days later to see what effect it has on me

You are on the right path i also have a nutritionist and do cross fit - We do a every two week weigh in, But more important to both of them is the exact measurements of my arms, waist and legs. I am going for the tighten up program/ TIp top shape cardio. Some bi weeks i lose 8 pounds some i lose nothing - I was just trying to say you have to goals - Lose the weight and get healthy - The scale is a tool - To me it is the least used tool, I am more into getting tight and fit then what the dang digital scale says. DO not get me wrong i watch my wieght but a few pounds here and there does not matter - I also know it is a f@#ckin Nightmare to get fit and healthy once you get the weight off so i truly understand - I am so pissed at how bad i wrecked this body and how much work it will take to get back - Makes me not sleep at night!

We all got this and it is a rough journey but still bets the URN

Seventeen lbs in a week this far along does sound odd.

Like @sillykitty weighing myself regularly is a good motivator for me too. I weigh myself almost everyday and allow for fluctuations - unexpected change of diet, Water retention, Constipation (lol). (Hormones aren’t an issue for me anymore but they were a b*tch for unexplained weight gain/loss.)

A lot of people take regular body measurements as well & have found the measurements will change even if the scales don’t.

Also keep your scales in the exact same spot. Electronic scales are sensitive to uneven floors (tiles are the worst).

I’m pleased to report that I’m back up 6 of those 7 lbs this AM!! Thank the lord! 😂 I don’t know what the hell was going on. Thank you guys for the advice and trying to help me make sense of everything!!