Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone!

So I'm not sure whats going on but for the past few weeks I haven't been hungry. Some would say that's great because its preventing me from over eating but the reality is I've been under eating. I've lost my appetite completely and I've been getting in 200-350 calories a day. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'll have a few bites of my food then I'm done for the day and I don't want anything else. Yesterday and Sunday I had to force myself to eat something even though I really didn't want to and if I didn't force myself, I would have ended the day with 224 calories and 15 g of Protein. I've been trying to eat foods higher in calories so that my macros are higher but so far that's my only solution. I cant do the Protein Shakes because I throw up every time I have one.

I don't know what happened. Before this, I was eating without a problem. Every meal is forcing myself to eat and its really driving me nuts. On the weekends its worse because I'm always so busy I forget to eat. Because I'm not eating how I should my weight loss is slowing down.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a phase? I just hit 6 months so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it?

So I think this is normal...but it might not be normal for you? I would check with my doc and RD, but it kinda sounds like you are deep in ketosis and that's what happens when you are in ketosis. You lose your hunger and are SNAT (semi nauseous all the time) or at least can be--especially if dehydrated and ketones are really high.

It's ok to have food apathy. Embrace it. BUT. It's not ok, not to reach Protein goals. So somehow, some way you must find a way to get your protein in for the day. Cuz that will mess you up long term. You eat according to a schedule if necessary, just to get your protein in.

It's actually a good thing. And you will recognize it as such once you have moved beyond that stage and hunger returns. But talk to your team for sure to make sure there is nothing else going on!!!

Typical as can be... I lost my appetite the day i had surgery and to this day have to force myself to eat, I look at it this way - Better to set a timer to eat then be hungry all the time. I would let the doc know but mine said sometimes when the nerves and Hungry wires are removed it just does not come back for a long time.

look at it as a advantage No hungry No food Faster weight loss

I lost my hunger for five months. To be honest, I loved it and hoped it would never come back. But it did - roaring, unfortunately. After that, sticking to my plan was a challenge.

you do have to make sure you get the required Protein in, though, even if you don't want to eat. You'll get sick if you don't.

btw - losing hunger for a few months is pretty common for WLS patients. And it almost always comes back. Although if you experienced hunger before (post-surgery) and it just recently went away, then yea - I'd check with my doctor just in case. But it may be fine..

Edited by catwoman7

What kind of Protein Shakes have you tried? i struggled to eat at first as well, and i would have never hit Protein goals without my shakes. i drink the fairlife power core shakes, i highly recommend them and they taste amazing to me. I have one for Breakfast and lunch till this day. Good luck!

At six months, I had spans of days as well that I didn't want to eat. It didn't bother me too, too much because it wouldn't last longer than a week or so

Even now (well at least pre PS) I still had days here and there where food is just meh.

But I agree with the others here...talk to your team and see what (if anything) should be changed. Not meeting Protein goals for a couple weeks isn't going to do irreparable harm (i mean i didn't make protein goals for the first 2 months post op)...but doing so for a longer period of time might (just don't know what a "longer period of time" is for you though...).

3 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

So I think this is normal...but it might not be normal for you? I would check with my doc and RD, but it kinda sounds like you are deep in ketosis and that's what happens when you are in ketosis. It's ok to have food apathy.

It's actually a good thing. And you will recognize it as such once you have moved beyond that stage and hunger returns.

Thanks! Never knew that was a side effect of being in ketosis. I’m getting around 15-20 g of carbs a day so that could be it.

3 hours ago, AJ Tylo said:

Typical as can be... I lost my appetite the day i had surgery and to this day have to force myself to eat, I look at it this way - Better to set a timer to eat then be hungry all the time. I would let the doc know but mine said sometimes when the nerves and Hungry wires are removed it just does not come back for a long time.

look at it as a advantage No hungry No food Faster weight loss

I don’t mind not eating much it’s just the forcing myself thing that bothers me and the fact that I’m not getting much Protein in. I think it would be easier to just no eat lol

@FluffyChix @AJ Tylo
I’m glad to know it’s normal though. The problem is that I’m experiencing slower weight loss because I’m not eating. My body is thinking I’m starving it... and I guess I am.

@MsMocie That’s horrible :( so far I don’t have problems with taste but in the beginning I did. I couldn’t drink bottled Water, only filtered, and certain foods, even the smell made me gag. That’s gone away but maybe you’re right. I’ll make an appointment with my GP and see if tests are needed. I’ll look into that juice too! I haven’t had an issue with liquid. Thanks!

@catwoman7

5 months!? Wow! When did your hunger come back? I wonder how long this will last for me.

Post op after month 3 I started to experience hunger, some days hungrier than others. Now it just went away out of the nowhere.

2 hours ago, JAKE H said:

What kind of Protein Shakes have you tried? i struggled to eat at first as well, and i would have never hit Protein goals without my shakes. i drink the fairlife power core shakes, i highly recommend them and they taste amazing to me. I have one for Breakfast and lunch till this day. Good luck!

I’ve tried Atkins, Premiere Protein, Breakfast Essentials, GENEPRO, Muscle Milk, Orgain, Owyn, Proti, and a few other whey powders. I can’t tolerate any of them. I went through this whole process without drinking Protein Shakes. Pre op I chugged them because I wasn’t crazy about the taste but I didn’t think they were that bad. Post op I couldn’t even drink them, I threw up and gaged just looking at them. Idk what happened.

I drink plain fairlife milk but never tried the power shakes. I’m willing to give it a shot. Is it super sweet? I tried the chocolate milk (not protein shake) and it was too sweet for my taste.

1 hour ago, MarvelGirl25 said:

I drink plain fairlife milk but never tried the power shakes. I’m willing to give it a shot. Is it super sweet? I tried the chocolate milk (not Protein shake) and it was too sweet for my taste.

For those who find straight Protein Drinks gag-worthy too sweet try these hacks:

1. Combine in varying strengths with FF Fairlife Milk.

2. Combine in varying strengths with decaff coffee and decaff tea.

3. Mix with Greek yogurt.

4. Mix with cottage cheese.

5. Mix with instant pudding to make protein pudding.

6. Mix with hot unsweetened cocoa in Water or Fairlife milk and use the Protein Drink as the sweetener element.

7. Mix protein drinks with egg whites and bake in a water bath to make custards.

Hope that helps.

2 hours ago, MarvelGirl25 said:

@catwoman7

5 months!? Wow! When did your hunger come back? I wonder how long this will last for me.

Post op after month 3 I started to experience hunger, some days hungrier than others. Now it just went away out of the nowhere.

I didn't have any hunger from the day I had surgery (in June of 2015) to November 2015. Loved it. I've heard of some people going up to a year with no hunger..

16 hours ago, MarvelGirl25 said:

I’ve tried Atkins, Premiere Protein, Breakfast Essentials, GENEPRO, Muscle Milk, Orgain, Owyn, Proti, and a few other whey powders. I can’t tolerate any of them. I went through this whole process without drinking Protein Shakes. Pre op I chugged them because I wasn’t crazy about the taste but I didn’t think they were that bad. Post op I couldn’t even drink them, I threw up and gaged just looking at them. Idk what happened.

I drink plain fairlife milk but never tried the power shakes. I’m willing to give it a shot. Is it super sweet? I tried the chocolate milk (not Protein shake) and it was too sweet for my taste.

Maybe try protein waters, like Protein2O and such?

Hope you get out of your funk soon.

I agree to embrace any hunger free time frames you have. It is unlikely to last long term. So you can minimize your cals at this time and ramp up your weight loss.

I don't think there are any short term issues with missing your Protein goals, but longer term it very well might be.

I second the suggestion of Protein H2O, it doesn't have that weird protein flavor to it.

I became whey intolerant for a while post op, so I had to try out a lot of different Protein Shakes and powders. My favorite was Medifast Dutch chocolate shake blended with Fairlife and ice. If you use 1.5 cups of milk, the shake comes out to 33 g of protein, so a nice boost for the day. It's ridiculously overpriced and the autoship program is scammy, but at least I didn't dread drinking it!