Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January 2020 Surgery Folks

On 10/02/2020 at 08:47, Duke483 said:

How do you plan on getting enough Protein if you cut the meats?

Its several other ways to get Protein and a few examples are smoothies add your Protein Powder and also Beans. Basically plant base items also will help you with any digestive issues..

On 10/2/2020 at 12:51 PM, NovaLuna said:

I weighed in at 321 on my surgery day and today I weighed in at 221. So I'm officially down 100 pounds since surgery and have just 41 more left to lose! 😊

That's awesome! Way to go

Just hit my next goal. Now down over 100lbs since surgery and over 130lbs total. Feels good! I've hit quite a few peaks and valleys along the way and sustained a couple of injuries that have kept me out of the gym for the past few weeks, but I'm forging ahead. I have noticed that I'm physically able to eat more so I have to be very mindful of my portion size! Keep up the good work everyone!

Congratulations!!!!! You should be so proud of yourself! I understand about the struggles.

I have just been released from the doctor 4 months after shoulder surgery. Prior to then I was on my own target to reach my goal by the end of this month. I must admit, I have been struggling. I have been up and down in my weight and noticed that I can eat more too. I have recently begun counting calories in vs calories burned. Just trying to get a handle on me! I still have until January to get the last 11 pounds off. I am just going to keep working at it... I have made a lot of revelations about my eating and I am trying to change accordingly. I cannot eat out as much as the sodium content keeps me bloated. I can eat waaayyyy more junk/snack food that regular food (even nuts). I just never seem to get full from it. So I try to stay away from it. Any tips on getting my mind back right?

12 minutes ago, FWJ said:

I have just been released from the doctor 4 months after shoulder surgery. Prior to then I was on my own target to reach my goal by the end of this month. I must admit, I have been struggling. I have been up and down in my weight and noticed that I can eat more too. I have recently begun counting calories in vs calories burned. Just trying to get a handle on me! I still have until January to get the last 11 pounds off. I am just going to keep working at it... I have made a lot of revelations about my eating and I am trying to change accordingly. I cannot eat out as much as the sodium content keeps me bloated. I can eat waaayyyy more junk/snack food that regular food (even nuts). I just never seem to get full from it. So I try to stay away from it. Any tips on getting my mind back right?

My dietician suggested using small, dessert size, 7" plates for meals. Half the plate Protein, one third veggies, the rest carbs. Don't pile the food high, just normal. It has worked for me.

Tough on the shoulder surgery. I've had both rotators done and the last also had a torn biceps. The CV shut me out of the gym but I've been back the last two months. I'm 74 and my bench is up to 145 now. Not great but not bad for my age.

I've found that when I'm 'starving' between meals, one or two saltine crackers does the trick.

I'm down eighty pounds, my body fat is 17.5%, I weigh 199 and my lean body mass is 170. I'm very pleased. (So is the wife).

There are days I struggle with junk as well, but I try to make sure I only take a bite or two, just to satisfy the craving, then move on. It is such a TOUGH mental struggle!

I am doing well though. I have lost 125 pounds, and I have surpassed my original goal. Now I have decided to try for another 20 pounds. If I get there, great! If not, I'll still be proud of my accomplishments so far. I'm now in a size 10 pant and medium shirt!

Edited by alissajs
misspelling

1 hour ago, FWJ said:

Congratulations!!!!! You should be so proud of yourself! I understand about the struggles.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, FWJ said:

Have you ever heard the phrase "carbs beget carbs?" It's absolutely true for me. If I start on salty and carb-rich snack/junk food before I knew it the whole bag was gone. No wonder I got so big. Now when I'm hungry between meals I try to stick with Protein Snacks. They're better for me and keep me fuller. If I simply have to have a "bad" snack to satisfy a craving, I'll stick to small pre-packaged bags of ~100 calorie snacks so I know I won't overdo it. You just have to stay focused and keep your eye on the prize!

1 hour ago, Duke483 said:

My dietician suggested using small, dessert size, 7" plates for meals. Half the plate Protein, one third veggies, the rest carbs. Don't pile the food high, just normal. It has worked for me.

Tough on the shoulder surgery. I've had both rotators done and the last also had a torn biceps. The CV shut me out of the gym but I've been back the last two months. I'm 74 and my bench is up to 145 now. Not great but not bad for my age.

I've found that when I'm 'starving' between meals, one or two saltine crackers does the trick.

I'm down eighty pounds, my body fat is 17.5%, I weigh 199 and my lean body mass is 170. I'm very pleased. (So is the wife).

Absolutely on the small plates, I do the same. Keep up the great work!

1 hour ago, alissajs said:

There are days I struggle with junk as well, but I try to make sue I only take a bite or two, just to satisfy the craving, then move on. It is such a TOUGH mental struggle!

I am doing well though. I have lost 125 pounds, and I have surpassed my original goal. Now I have decided to try for another 20 pounds. If I get there, great! If not, I'll still be proud of my accomplishments so far. I'm now in a size 10 pant and medium shirt!

That's fantastic! I was recently able to fit into a size XL shirt. XL! Me! It's cut a little bigger than normal but I don't care, I never thought that would happen again lol.

9 hours ago, alissajs said:

There are days I struggle with junk as well, but I try to make sure I only take a bite or two, just to satisfy the craving, then move on. It is such a TOUGH mental struggle!

You should be proud! That is an awesome accomplishment! I don't know if anyone else has gotten to this point, but shopping is so overwhelming for me now! I used to just go straight to the plus sizes in a store and it wasn't too large to shop. But NOW! I am in "regular" sizes and there are just too many choices!!! I am definitely not a size 10, but I am no longer in plus sizes either...

8 hours ago, SINISTER said:

Thank you!

Have you ever heard the phrase "carbs beget carbs?" It's absolutely true for me. If I start on salty and carb-rich snack/junk food before I knew it the whole bag was gone. No wonder I got so big. Now when I'm hungry between meals I try to stick with Protein Snacks. They're better for me and keep me fuller. If I simply have to have a "bad" snack to satisfy a craving, I'll stick to small pre-packaged bags of ~100 calorie Snacks so I know I won't overdo it. You just have to stay focused and keep your eye on the prize!

Absolutely on the small plates, I do the same. Keep up the great work!

That's fantastic! I was recently able to fit into a size XL shirt. XL! Me! It's cut a little bigger than normal but I don't care, I never thought that would happen again lol.

Believe it or not, I am good in a large or XL, depending on the cut...

Hey there, I've also been struggling lately. When I really focus, I do lose weight, but some weeks I definitely lose out to the cravings and I do see myself gain half a pound here and there. That generally kicks me into shape and I get back on the wagon asap. I'm 176 today, 175 two weeks ago, and I'm determined to get to 150 (I'm super short!) But these last 25lbs are not easy. I've started working out more regularly, but even that's getting more difficult. Got to get back to the Protein first mentality. It certainly gets me full faster and keeps me full longer. Anyways, down 105 overall and 75 since surgery. Dealing with a lot of indigestion and some heart burn, so I'm having an upper gi with contrast next week. Hoping it's not a serious issue cause I do not want to have surgery again. Glad to hear from everyone!

On 10/23/2020 at 7:38 PM, FWJ said:

Believe it or not, I am good in a large or XL, depending on the cut...

I've found I do better in the Tall cuts, ie, LT, XLT, etc., rather than the Large or XLarge.

I mostly in LT's now but I do wear my XLTs too since I want to maximize the wear I get from them.

Very much the same in pants. I can wear 34s but I'm wearing my 36's to maximize their wear. The 36's are getting rather baggy so it won't be long till I'm pretty much in the 34's.

FWIW, I was wearing 3XLT and 48 pants before the surgery. I've had to downsize my shoes from 12 Wide to 11's.

On 10/24/2020 at 7:25 AM, PostVSGandKeto said:

Hey there, I've also been struggling lately. When I really focus, I do lose weight, but some weeks I definitely lose out to the cravings and I do see myself gain half a pound here and there. That generally kicks me into shape and I get back on the wagon asap. I'm 176 today, 175 two weeks ago, and I'm determined to get to 150 (I'm super short!) But these last 25lbs are not easy. I've started working out more regularly, but even that's getting more difficult. Got to get back to the Protein first mentality. It certainly gets me full faster and keeps me full longer. Anyways, down 105 overall and 75 since surgery. Dealing with a lot of indigestion and some heart burn, so I'm having an upper gi with contrast next week. Hoping it's not a serious issue cause I do not want to have surgery again. Glad to hear from everyone!

I wouldn't worry too much about small weight movements on the scale. scales are not necessarily all that accurate. I found my weight on my old scales could vary by one or two pounds. I could step on the scale and get one weight, step off, reweight immediately and get another weight that might vary by as much as a pound and a half.

My new scales (renphro) always repeat the same weights. Still I can be up or down slightly from day to day. I might weight 201, 202, 201, for several days and then drop three pounds the next day. Then I'll go 198, 199, 198, etc.,

3 hours ago, Duke483 said:

I wouldn't worry too much about small weight movements on the scale. scales are not necessarily all that accurate. I found my weight on my old scales could vary by one or two pounds. I could step on the scale and get one weight, step off, reweight immediately and get another weight that might vary by as much as a pound and a half.

My new scales (renphro) always repeat the same weights. Still I can be up or down slightly from day to day. I might weight 201, 202, 201, for several days and then drop three pounds the next day. Then I'll go 198, 199, 198, etc.,

I use renpho also. Ive had it a couple years now and I love it!