Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January 2020 Surgery Folks

Surgery Jan 13. Down 50. Last week been stalled. So hard in the weeks where there is no drop

Today marks 15 weeks out of surgery and I am finally down 50 - 52.4 pounds. Feels like a celebration to me. I got stalled in my 250's - it seems like for 2 1/2 weeks I was barely losing anything. But I never changed and stayed on course. Worked on making sure I ate Protein, drank Water and did 30 minutes of activity a day (usually ride bike or walk) I have casual tried some yoga. I live in California so we've been on lockdown (shelter in place) since middle of March so no gym workouts. Also for activity I've been dancing around a lot in my room with Twitch DJ's. Turned my bedroom into a "dance club" 😂

My husband has been calling me a shrinky dink lol and say I have chicken legs. No friends have seen me for awhile. When I get to finally see people, especially those who don't know about my surgery, they're probably going to be like WHAT happened to you.

How is everyone else doing emotionally, physically, mentally? How are my January surgery peeps doing out there?!!

My 4 month follow-up was yesterday. I'm down just over 50 lbs and (according to the numbers) have lost 33% of my excess weight. It's a good feeling, especially when combined with wearing clothes that wouldn't fit at the beginning of the year.

Fortunately, my dog keeps me active, even in the lock-down. I do miss going to the gym though, and I'd just gotten into a good workout groove when everything came to a grinding halt.

The people I see at work keep telling me "you're melting away" and my wife is very encouraging as well, so I've got plenty of support thankfully, but I know I've still got work to do. The biggest goal I have right now is to get under 250. I'm only about 7 lbs away. That will be a big day for me.

The only real struggle I have post-surgery is the uncomfortable "heaviness" feeling that comes when I eat beef or chicken. I'm told this is a normal thing and could last a while, so I'll continue to put up with it and/or avoid the steak and chicken breasts.

Hope ya'll are all doing well.

On 5/12/2020 at 1:13 PM, RMaxton76 said:

My 4 month follow-up was yesterday. I'm down just over 50 lbs and (according to the numbers) have lost 33% of my excess weight. It's a good feeling, especially when combined with wearing clothes that wouldn't fit at the beginning of the year.

Fortunately, my dog keeps me active, even in the lock-down. I do miss going to the gym though, and I'd just gotten into a good workout groove when everything came to a grinding halt.

The people I see at work keep telling me "you're melting away" and my wife is very encouraging as well, so I've got plenty of support thankfully, but I know I've still got work to do. The biggest goal I have right now is to get under 250. I'm only about 7 lbs away. That will be a big day for me.

The only real struggle I have post-surgery is the uncomfortable "heaviness" feeling that comes when I eat beef or chicken. I'm told this is a normal thing and could last a while, so I'll continue to put up with it and/or avoid the steak and chicken breasts.

Yep, I can't eat chicken 🍗 🐔 🐓 either. So far steak and most other types of meat have been fine. You'll be down those 7 pounds soon. Congratulations 🎉 🎈 🍾

I'm down 77 pounds and 7 pounds from onederland! :) I CANT WAIT!

7 must be my lucky number.

I had stalled pretty hard for awhile, but after forcing myself to get more calories, the weight started dropping off easily. It feels so backwards to have to force myself to eat more!

I have been stalling hard off an on over the past several weeks. I've been sweating my butt off at work though so I better start dropping lol. Good news is I finally got on the scale and the first number is a "2." It's SO nice to know that the first number will never be a "3" again. Ever!

17 hours ago, alissajs said:

Tried on my old jeans. These were tight in January!

image-0.00095367431640625.jpg

Fantastic work, well done. You must be so proud and feel a million times better!!

19 hours ago, alissajs said:

Tried on my old jeans. These were tight in January!

Keep one pair of those old jeans as a reminder of what used to be.

They will also serve as a way to measure how much you've progressed.

Doing great everyone! I think I'll hit onederland this week. I'll keep you all updated:)

This is beyond a stall at this point. Down only 7lbs in the last 6 weeks. I've been eating right, getting calories in, getting my Protein in, getting my Water in, just not losing. I was working from home for about 6 weeks and the gyms were closed so my activity level went down so I chalked it up to that. However I went back on site 2 weeks ago and have been very active and it's been hot as well. I figured for sure it would kickstart the loss again but nope, 0.4lbs one week and 0.8lbs the next. At my weight it should be falling off and it's not. Extremely frustrating at this point.

3 hours ago, SINISTER said:

This is beyond a stall at this point. Down only 7lbs in the last 6 weeks. I've been eating right, getting calories in, getting my Protein in, getting my Water in, just not losing. I was working from home for about 6 weeks and the gyms were closed so my activity level went down so I chalked it up to that. However I went back on site 2 weeks ago and have been very active and it's been hot as well. I figured for sure it would kickstart the loss again but nope, 0.4lbs one week and 0.8lbs the next. At my weight it should be falling off and it's not. Extremely frustrating at this point.

I understand the way you feel. What does your nutritionist or doctor say?

On 05/12/2020 at 14:13, RMaxton76 said:

I can not eat chicken breast but boneless skinless chicken thighs sit a lot better with me. I season and bake them! Yummy!!! You should try them. I also can’t handle beef. I am down 69lbs. Surgery Jan 14. Starting weight 289 current 220 height 5’8”

On 05/19/2020 at 06:11, SINISTER said:

You need to talk to your doctor and probably request labs. Also what Protein are you getting in? Form shakes or natural food. Protein from shakes add a lot of extra calories and sugar or aspartame etc that can stall a lot of people. Also my friend had surgery before me and she stalled for 3 months!!! And then started losing rapidly again.

On 5/19/2020 at 10:17 AM, FWJ said:

I understand the way you feel. What does your nutritionist or doctor say?

Nothing yet since I had a follow up right at the beginning of this stall. I was doing well at the time.

27 minutes ago, sarahSingh91 said:

You need to talk to your doctor and probably request labs. Also what Protein are you getting in? Form shakes or natural food. Protein from shakes add a lot of extra calories and sugar or aspartame etc that can stall a lot of people. Also my friend had surgery before me and she stalled for 3 months!!! And then started losing rapidly again.

I was supposed to do my blood work 2 weeks ago but I've been putting in 14hr days. I'm off Saturday though so I can finally get it done.

I get my protein from both meats and Protein Drinks. The protein I take is low on sugar and calories. Fortunately I haven't found any meats that upset me yet, aside from chicken breast when it's thick and/or dry, but otherwise I'm fine.

3 months?! Ughhh