Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise high vs decreasing weight

I've always been interessed in exercise and fitness. I am a good weightlifter and have competed several times. But the cardio part has always been a bore.

I started taking spinning classes a couple of weeks ago. Last time I biked I weighed 30-40kg more. The first class I had my doubts about finishing it since the last time with all the weight was a gruesom experience. I really thought I was just in bad cardio shape.

Now I have gone thru some classes in a couple weeks. And boy. I was not in bad cardio shape. I was just to heavy. I bike very good, have good resistance and it is not that bad to bike. I kinda like it. I am not at all grumpy at myself during the class. I am impressed by myself that it is so easy.

The journey the last months after surgery has been...well I learned a lot. Many things I thought was about my health and challenges due to my health was actually just a too heavy body. I had back aches and thought I had a bad back. My feet stinged after walking to much. I got tired in my back by walking the stores and had to sit down every five minutes to rest my back. I biked and it was too hard. I walked on the treadmill on level 4 and could barely keep up with the mill. Inclines were a nightmare. Today a level 6-7 is a normal stroll speed for me.

It took me a few days after surgery to notice that my cardio shape was in better condition. It took me about 2 weeks to notice it was easier to move around without all the aches and pains. I noticed more progressively that with lower weight things got so much easier. But the spin class I avoided because of the last time experiences.

Today I realized just how much weight has to say in your life. I used to hide behind beeing in good shape despite my weight. And I was, but now just utterly, utterly shocked as to how fast your overall shape changes when loosing a bit of weight.

Edited by MsMocie

1 hour ago, MsMocie said:

Today I realized just how much weight has to say in your life. I used to hide behind beeing in good shape despite my weight. And I was, but now just utterly, utterly shocked as to how fast your overall shape changes when loosing a bit of weight.

Said Perfectly - I also was 350 plus however carried it very well - People are shocked when i tell them now that i hit 377 and said F@#ck This and had surgery. I was on my feet all day and outside moving around, I fished hard offshore. Road Harleys and was very active.

However

I never realized what a toll the weight and unhealthy lifestyles were taking on my body. I still to this day am no angel but as the journey progressed i felt stronger and stronger and so much healthier. You said it perfectly and I second it!