Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I went through my hospital's weight loss supervision program. Only 3 months of classes and appointments. I was so stoked when I got approved for surgery (bypass) by the surgeon on the 17th of January. I was told it could be as little as 3-5 days before I would be called to schedule the surgery. Unfortunately, this practice is very short handed and it's nearly impossible some days to get ahold of anyone. Let alone figure out what's going on. So turns out my surgeon went on vacation for a week after my last consult. Ok. Then they had trouble getting it submitted to the insurance company. Several phone calls and transfers later, I finally got the prior auth submitted. Now to wait for approval.

Apparently my insurance company approved it within 3 days... But I still have not heard from anyone. It's now been 3 weeks since my last appointment and nothing. Not even a time frame. I called and got through to the scheduler (holy cow), and she said it's waiting on the financial woman. So I called and left a voicemail for her (yesterday). I didn't hear anything today and I intend on calling again tomorrow. But I have been advised to be patient by some and others (who went through the same office) told me to pester the hell out of them until I get results. Conflicted, depressed and thinking the surgery is never gonna happen! Anyone else have similar situation? I have been slipping into eating bad stuff again because I'm just bummed out.

When I have issues that never seem to resolve with phone calls or messages, I drive to the office and sit there until I can talk to someone who will give me answers. Somehow things seem to get resolved a lot faster when there is a polite face-to-face conversation.

Funny enough, I had considered doing that yesterday but didn't want to annoy them. I'm fearful they will just tell me to go take a hike. I'm going to make one more phone call tomorrow and if I don't have some sort of answer, I probably will go down there. It's just super unprofessional and leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I mean, it's literally their only job!

Call every day until you get an answer.

DON'T GIVE UP! I started this process in June last year at 462lbs. They sent me home with a diet and required me to lose 50lbs, go thru sleep study for apnea (now have CPAP machine), have a colonoscopy, do these strengthening exercises, extensive lab work, mental evaluation to determine if I was a good candidate and 3 classes to understand it all!

By November I had lost 60lbs and was never as motivated to get this done and get on with my life as I had been the last 4 months! With all my ducks in a row, I let all involved know I had done what I was supposed to do and was ready to schedule surgery. Two weeks later I was told they are currently scheduling out to APRIL!

I freaked out and made enough noise (not rudely) that I finally got a surgery date 2 weeks ago of the 20th of this month. I got discouraged and was frustrated and it led to about 1 1/2 weeks of not caring and eating my way through the emotions. But that's what got me here in the first place and I didn't want to go back. I have currently lost 75lbs and started my 2 week pre-op full liquid liver reduction diet today! Stand up for yourself and go let them know you mean business! You deserve this!

1 hour ago, TheAngryMeow said:

Funny enough, I had considered doing that yesterday but didn't want to annoy them. I'm fearful they will just tell me to go take a hike. I'm going to make one more phone call tomorrow and if I don't have some sort of answer, I probably will go down there. It's just super unprofessional and leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I mean, it's literally their only job!

Persistence. It is so hard to be persistent and advocate for yourself. Back in the 70s the feminist movement actually had "assertiveness training" sessions for women, because we are socialized to be too dang polite for our own good! (Must have worked with me because I am a trial attorney....). We mistake asking people to do their job or at least offer a cogent explanation of what the problem is, with being "annoying", or, gawd forbid "pushy". Good luck!

I cannot tell you how many things were not resolved until I went to the office in person. It's like until they actually see a face, they put you on the back burner. First of all, my surgery got denied because the doc office didn't send the psych eval in. They said they didn;t have it. But I HAD A COPY of the report which I gave them in person. So I went again in person and gave it to them again, and guess what? They checked their computer and found it had been there all along! Then there are the bills, bills bills - that didn't get coded or submitted properly. They sit on someone's desk until I go down in person, and then it suddenly gets resolved with a couple of phone calls while I wait! I've saved at least $1500 in bills. Then there are lab reports I request but never get until I show up in person.

It really is ridiculous. I used to worry about them black balling me, but that hasn't happened. I try to be nice, but firm. If I have to be the "squeaky wheel," then so be it. It is a 90 minute round trip for me, which is a pain, but I have learned that I must advocate on my own behalf to get what I need (like resolving bills before they get turned over to a collection agency and ruin my good credit score.) I need to have my year labs drawn, but don't dare until they fix the coding mess with my 6 month lab bill. Sheesh! It takes persistance, but I know I have to take care of all my own follow up and not depend on them to do it.

***** KEEP COPIES OF EVERYTHING! All your reports, labs, evals, etc.*******

In the meantime, eating junk is not going to help you get to goal after the surgery. Not implementing stress management tools will haunt you post surgery. I’m speaking from experience... I would drop by the office like others suggested.

While you’re waiting, YouTube Dr. Jason Fung.

Sounds like your surgeon has crappy office staff. My surgeon and his staff made the date for my surgery that day. And it was like six months out.

You need to get on that staff. Do you know the name of the person who coordinates the surgeries? You need to speak to them asap.

Good Luck and stand up for yourself.

It's amazing how a good office staff can make or break a practice. When I first started exploring getting my lap band out, I went to the closest bariatric office, three hours away, I liked the surgeon and his PA, but the office staff was a DISASTER. You could never get hold of anyone on the phone, and they gave me a lot of incorrect info about Medicare benefits. So I started seeing the next closest surgeon, 5 hours away. The difference was like night and day! The office always answers your questions, and if they can't, they get you an answer the same day.

There are a lot of good surgeons out there, so if the office staff is bad "shop around" if there are other options where you live.

Thank you all for your feedback! I talked to the woman in the finance office which is supposedly the last step before scheduling. She took down a bunch of information and told me to expect scheduling to call me in 2-5 days. I've started my pre-op liquid diet and sticking to it! That way I'm ready to go by the time she calls! You guys are very encouraging. Thank you again so so much. 🤗