Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice needed regarding which surgery to get

Hello everyone! This is my first time posting anything to a forum, so please bear with me! I am 5' 5" and 225lbs. I went into my first surgery consult last night thinking that I wanted to have the gastric sleeve. Because I have a history of heartburn, and already take Protonix, my surgeon also suggested a gastric bypass. He said that there is a much greater risk of my heartburn getting much worse with the sleeve procedure vs gastric bypass. I also have type 2 diabetes, with A1C's always at or below 7. I take Jardiance and Metformin, although the Metformin had been prescribed originally for my PCOS. What has your experience been? How did you decide which surgery was best for you?

If you already have GERD the better surgery would be the RYN. I had terrible GERD and gastritis because of my first surgery and my surgeon suggested the RYN. I am now off my blood pressure meds, and my heart burn meds! A goof friend of mine had it and is now completely off her diabetic medication! By the way our stats are almost the same, only I am an inch taller.

VRox33, Hello, and I’m a newbie as well😅. When I saw surgeon last Oct. my mindset was same as yours—set on sleeve, and only sleeve. He asked re: acid reflux and yes, I do have it at times. His explanation and picture drawing of what happens to GERD/reflux after sleeve was a major let down, but I (secretly) still held hope for sleeve. As I researched more, and especially the very real experiences on these support boards, I realized he’s SO on target.

The risks/dangers/incidents of increased reflux after sleeve seem far riskier to my situation than RYN. Yes, we’ll perhaps have a few more challenges with absorption and medication adjustment, but hopefully, ideally, our surgery will not only be a “one and done” requiring no revisions, but our acid reflux will be greatly alleviated, as well. I also feel great trust and confidence that RYN has been around the longest, and still considered the gold standard by many people.

Just my experience...Best Wishes in your decision!

I paid for mine by myself.

I orginally booked the sleeve, thinking it would be best for avoiding malabsobation for life and not having to take supplements. It also seemed less invasive. Like you, I use metformin, not for diabetes, but because I have complex atypical hyperplasia endometrium and my weight didn't help with that. They also suspectet PCOS, but never confirmed.

When sending my application to the surgeon, he advised me that though sleeve is a good method, for us with a little issues regardig the weight, who have also a long weight history, it is best with a bypass-version. This guarantees a a longer, lasting weight loss and more likelyhood that health issues goes away.

There are ways to work around the heartbrun, and likely it will go away with the weight. Though sleeve has good results for many, there are to little long time reasearch on this procedure to call it a sucess or what long term consequenses might be.

I am not mad about my mini gastric bypass. I have some issues due to the weight loss, but otherwise, no complaints.

MsMocie, may I ask what the difference is between Mini Gastric Bypass and regular Gastric Bypass? Thanks!

MsMocie...I looked up difference between mini & standard, no need to explain! Sounds very interesting and I wish my surgeon would have mentioned it. Thanks again and continued good health!

8 minutes ago, Lily66 said:

MsMocie, may I ask what the difference is between Mini Gastric Bypass and regular Gastric Bypass? Thanks!

I've copied this belowfrom https://www.bariatricservices.eu

My "tube" is the size of a mans thumb in diametere and can hold about 25-30 ml. The main difference between these two are less rerouting of intestines, and a single anastamosis on mini bypass, compared to bypass.

The Mini-Gastric Bypass or single anastomosis gastric bypass, is an effective and well-established procedure which combines some of the properties of a gastric sleeve and a standard gastric bypass. The upper part of the stomach is divided into a tube, similar to the top three quarters of a sleeve, and then joined to a loop of intestine.

The mini-gastric bypass can be used as a primary weight loss procedure. It can also be used in patients who have had previous gastric banding or sleeve surgery but have been unsuccessful with weight loss, or who have had band-related complications and have decided on revision surgery.

Mini-Gastric-Bypass

In this operation the top of the stomach is stapled to form a thin tube (30ml to 50ml in size). The thin tube becomes the new, smaller stomach and is completely separate to the rest of the stomach. This stomach is then sewn to a loop of the small intestine, bypassing the first part of the intestine called the duodenum and approximately 150–200cm of the bowel. The rest of the stomach and upper part of the small intestine remains in the body but is no longer used for food digestion.

The mini bypass procedure helps you to lose weight in different ways:

• By reducing the feeling of hunger through altered gut to brain signalling
  • By enabling an earlier feeling of satiety and fullness when eating a meal resulting in a healthy portion size
  • By decreasing the amount of calories you absorb from your food as a result of bypassing 150 to 200cm of the upper part of the small intestine

Rerouting of the food stream produces changes in gut hormones that reverse one of the primary mechanisms by which obesity-induced type 2 diabetes occurs.

Long-term effects of the Mini-Gastric Bypass

Several studies have been carried out and published on the long term (over 5 years) effects of mini-gastric bypass surgery. Two years after the surgery, weight loss is 75-85% of excess body weight; five years after the surgery, the excess body weight loss is 70-75%.

Weight loss with mini-gastric bypass is as good, if not better, than that achieved with standard gastric bypass surgery in people with a higher BMI.

Many diseases connected to being overweight like sleep apnoea, type 2 diabetes, joint diseases, high blood pressure or polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) improve or disappear as a result of the surgery.

Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass surgery is the most popular type of weight loss surgery in the world and the so-called gold standard of weight loss surgeries. The reason for this is good and sustained loss of weight, very good control of accompanying diseases and low risk of surgical complications. The long-term results of the surgery – weight loss, effect on accompanying diseases, low mortality rate – are well documented and reliable.

gastric bypass

There are two components to the procedure. First, a small stomach pouch, approximately one ounce or 30 millilitres in volume, is created by dividing the top of the stomach from the rest of the stomach. Next, the first portion of the small intestine is divided, and the bottom end of the divided small intestine is brought up and connected to the newly created small stomach pouch.

The procedure is completed by connecting the top portion of the divided small intestine to the small intestine further down so that the stomach acids and digestive enzymes from the bypassed stomach and first portion of small intestine will eventually mix with the food.

The main difference of gastric bypass surgery compared with sleeve gastrectomy is the shortening of the food’s path in the digestive system.

How does gastric bypass surgery work?

First, the newly created small stomach pouch necessitates significantly smaller meals. As a result, patients feel full after eating a small quantity of food, and thus consume less calories.

Secondly, because there is less digestion of food by the smaller stomach pouch and bypassed part of the small bowel, some extent less absorption of calories and nutrients will occur.

Additionally, rerouting of the food stream leads to changes in gut hormones that promote satiety and suppress hunger.

Thank you all for your responses! Keep them coming!

Hello! I'm 10 months post gastric bypass and chose that at my doctor's suggestion since I already had GERD, and the sleeve can make it worse. My diabetes is gone! Hope the same for you post surgery. My insurance doesn't cover mini GB, so it was bypass for me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Briswife15...With your G bypass, were you 2 nights in hospital or 1? Not sure what’s average... Thanks!

4 hours ago, VRox33 said:

Hello everyone! This is my first time posting anything to a forum, so please bear with me! I am 5' 5" and 225lbs. I went into my first surgery consult last night thinking that I wanted to have the gastric sleeve. Because I have a history of heartburn, and already take Protonix, my surgeon also suggested a gastric bypass. He said that there is a much greater risk of my heartburn getting much worse with the sleeve procedure vs gastric bypass. I also have type 2 diabetes, with A1C's always at or below 7. I take Jardiance and Metformin, although the Metformin had been prescribed originally for my PCOS. What has your experience been? How did you decide which surgery was best for you?

Your Surgeon is absolutely spot on, IMHO go with the RNY bypass

I chose VSG originally as I had no precursors to GERD/Reflux but I developed it along the way. I had to be converted to RNY.

*Please note: It doesn't happen that way for everyone*

The decision you may have to weight is if you are at a higher risk (which you are) will you be comfortable having a second surgery (revision/conversion)

Good Luck❤

Edited by GreenTealael

Hi, I had a slipped lap band that needed to come out. I thought I wanted a sleeve until my doc explained that it was easier to revise a lap band to a bypass because of the scar tissue the lap band causes. Then he explained about the GERD the sleeve can cause and that clinched it, because before I got the band I had TERRIBLE GERD. So I went with the bypass.

I stayed two nights in the hospital. They were willing to let me go late in the day after the first night, but I live five hours away by train, and was afraid of something popping up on the way back home, so they (and my insurance!) let me stay an extra night to make sure everything was OK.

Edited by JRT Mom

If you have gerd it is not a good idea to have the mini bypass. It carries a far higher risk of bile reflux. Personally I think the name mini bypass should be banned. It gives people the impression that it is a minor surgery which it is not. It should be referred to as an Omega Loop gastric bypass or Single anastomosis gastric bypass.

Generally the RNY is the procedure that has the best track record for preventing or alleviating reflux. There are of course people that still have issues but everything has an exception.

since you have reflux, this decision should be a no-brainer. RNY. I would not even consider sleeve.

P.S. I had gastric bypass for that very reason. I had GERD pre-surgery, and there's no way I wanted to risk it getting worse. I see a lot of people revising from sleeve to RNY for that very reasons - sometimes people who never even had GERD prior to surgery. I hav no regrets at all - I'm very happy with my RNY.

Edited by catwoman7

Briswife15...With your G bypass, were you 2 nights in hospital or 1? Not sure what’s average... Thanks!
My doctor requires 2 nights in the hospital for his bypass patients. I was glad to be there 2 nights as they kept me on pain and anti nausea meds.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app