Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice needed regarding which surgery to get

Hello everyone! This is my first time posting anything to a forum, so please bear with me! I am 5' 5" and 225lbs. I went into my first surgery consult last night thinking that I wanted to have the gastric sleeve. Because I have a history of heartburn, and already take Protonix, my surgeon also suggested a gastric bypass. He said that there is a much greater risk of my heartburn getting much worse with the sleeve procedure vs gastric bypass. I also have type 2 diabetes, with A1C's always at or below 7. I take Jardiance and Metformin, although the Metformin had been prescribed originally for my PCOS. What has your experience been? How did you decide which surgery was best for you?

If you already have GERD the better surgery would be the RYN. I had terrible GERD and gastritis because of my first surgery and my surgeon suggested the RYN. I am now off my blood pressure meds, and my heart burn meds! A goof friend of mine had it and is now completely off her diabetic medication! By the way our stats are almost the same, only I am an inch taller.

VRox33, Hello, and I’m a newbie as well😅. When I saw surgeon last Oct. my mindset was same as yours—set on sleeve, and only sleeve. He asked re: acid reflux and yes, I do have it at times. His explanation and picture drawing of what happens to GERD/reflux after sleeve was a major let down, but I (secretly) still held hope for sleeve. As I researched more, and especially the very real experiences on these support boards, I realized he’s SO on target.

The risks/dangers/incidents of increased reflux after sleeve seem far riskier to my situation than RYN. Yes, we’ll perhaps have a few more challenges with absorption and medication adjustment, but hopefully, ideally, our surgery will not only be a “one and done” requiring no revisions, but our acid reflux will be greatly alleviated, as well. I also feel great trust and confidence that RYN has been around the longest, and still considered the gold standard by many people.

Just my experience...Best Wishes in your decision!

MsMocie, may I ask what the difference is between Mini Gastric Bypass and regular Gastric Bypass? Thanks!

MsMocie...I looked up difference between mini & standard, no need to explain! Sounds very interesting and I wish my surgeon would have mentioned it. Thanks again and continued good health!

Thank you all for your responses! Keep them coming!

Hello! I'm 10 months post gastric bypass and chose that at my doctor's suggestion since I already had GERD, and the sleeve can make it worse. My diabetes is gone! Hope the same for you post surgery. My insurance doesn't cover mini GB, so it was bypass for me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Briswife15...With your G bypass, were you 2 nights in hospital or 1? Not sure what’s average... Thanks!

4 hours ago, VRox33 said:

Hello everyone! This is my first time posting anything to a forum, so please bear with me! I am 5' 5" and 225lbs. I went into my first surgery consult last night thinking that I wanted to have the gastric sleeve. Because I have a history of heartburn, and already take Protonix, my surgeon also suggested a gastric bypass. He said that there is a much greater risk of my heartburn getting much worse with the sleeve procedure vs gastric bypass. I also have type 2 diabetes, with A1C's always at or below 7. I take Jardiance and Metformin, although the Metformin had been prescribed originally for my PCOS. What has your experience been? How did you decide which surgery was best for you?

Your Surgeon is absolutely spot on, IMHO go with the RNY bypass

I chose VSG originally as I had no precursors to GERD/Reflux but I developed it along the way. I had to be converted to RNY.

*Please note: It doesn't happen that way for everyone*

The decision you may have to weight is if you are at a higher risk (which you are) will you be comfortable having a second surgery (revision/conversion)

Good Luck❤

Edited by GreenTealael

Hi, I had a slipped lap band that needed to come out. I thought I wanted a sleeve until my doc explained that it was easier to revise a lap band to a bypass because of the scar tissue the lap band causes. Then he explained about the GERD the sleeve can cause and that clinched it, because before I got the band I had TERRIBLE GERD. So I went with the bypass.

I stayed two nights in the hospital. They were willing to let me go late in the day after the first night, but I live five hours away by train, and was afraid of something popping up on the way back home, so they (and my insurance!) let me stay an extra night to make sure everything was OK.

Edited by JRT Mom

If you have gerd it is not a good idea to have the mini bypass. It carries a far higher risk of bile reflux. Personally I think the name mini bypass should be banned. It gives people the impression that it is a minor surgery which it is not. It should be referred to as an Omega Loop gastric bypass or Single anastomosis gastric bypass.

Generally the RNY is the procedure that has the best track record for preventing or alleviating reflux. There are of course people that still have issues but everything has an exception.

since you have reflux, this decision should be a no-brainer. RNY. I would not even consider sleeve.

P.S. I had gastric bypass for that very reason. I had GERD pre-surgery, and there's no way I wanted to risk it getting worse. I see a lot of people revising from sleeve to RNY for that very reasons - sometimes people who never even had GERD prior to surgery. I hav no regrets at all - I'm very happy with my RNY.

Edited by catwoman7

Briswife15...With your G bypass, were you 2 nights in hospital or 1? Not sure what’s average... Thanks!
My doctor requires 2 nights in the hospital for his bypass patients. I was glad to be there 2 nights as they kept me on pain and anti nausea meds.

12 hours ago, Briswife15 said:

My doctor requires 2 nights in the hospital for his bypass patients. I was glad to be there 2 nights as they kept me on pain and anti nausea meds.

Thanks...I concur, the longer they keep me to get this started the better!☺️

Mini bypass can also cause reflux issues..

RNY is the best option