Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK, so if 90+ lbs from goal weight do I just wait or start researching dr's and procedures now?

While I was much bigger at 390...I'm still rather LARGE+++ at 250 lbs (ok, scale said 253.2 today..sigh). It seems that most of the people I've followed when I've had time were already at their goal weight before finding dr's and talking procedures/options.

I can see that this probably is required as it would be hard for a doctor to correctly advise/tell what I'm going to have leftover at 170 vs. 253.2.

170 is my first goal - obviously the 'charts' want me at 140-150..sigh. I guess the ONE thing that I can do is start saving money...a whole LOTTA money!

I wish I could tell 'now' what procedures I'd want done and in what order. I KNOW I want my arms done - they have always been bad even when I was a 135 teenager and on the swim team for years. Getting up to 390 and I have arm flab the size of small cities.

The 'girls' are deflated balloons that breastfeeding 2 kids..or attempting to...did nothing to help. Just had mammogram and it was 'clear' but it hurt like a you know what. My last one was done when I was 390 7 years ago. They are now so totally deflated it felt like the tech was trying to roll out pizza or bread dough with the machine. They don't class me as high risk yet as my Mom diagnosed with breast cancer in 60's. My maternal cousin, however, was diagnosed at 49..and hard partial breast removal. Honestly, I figure mine are going to turn on me some day and I'd like to beat them to it.

Just wondering what I should simply leave alone until I'm down to 140-170....

most surgeons want you at your goal weight for 6-12 months before they do body contouring surgery. Or I guess I should say your desired weight, which may or may not be a normal BMI. Most will advise you not to gain or lose more than 10 lbs or so after plastic surgery, since it'll affect your results. So....weight-wise you need to be where you plan to stay for the rest of your life.

if you did it now but hope to lose 70 more pounds (and succeed at that), you'll probably need it done again.

I personally would use the time to save up money, as you said, and also start researching surgeons. It took me quite awhile to whittle it down to a short list of about 10 - and then further whittle it down to the four I had consults with. Spend some time searching on here and other internet forums for names - and also, realself (it's a Web site that has reviews of doctors - most of them (not all - but most) are plastic surgeons, and lots of people post before & after pictures, which are helpful - since if you go to the surgeons' Web sites, they usually only post photos of their best work. You can often see more "normal" results on a site like realself).

I asked this question at my 6 month and much to my surprise he he said to start the research process now as it will take time to get an appointment then they will advise where they suggest being weight wise before they can do whatever procedure to get my desired results. I have my 9 month follow up today and next week I see the plastic surgeon for the initial consult (took 3 months to get an appointment) I am still 30lbs from my goal and my progress has slowed to a crawl. I could still get in a lot more activity and really need something to motivate me as I can feel complacency of my "new normal".

I waited until I was 19 months post to have anything done. I still have weight to lose and I'm not completely happy with the results, I definitely needed the excess skin removed and it's helped me be able to move more. I know I'll never be 100% happy as body dysmorphia is a real thing. I'm just happy I'm not where I was 2.5 yrs ago. If you're interested start looking at realself and asking around. Hugs

I agree with starting to save the 💰 now but using your research as a motivating force to make it to your goal.

You're absolutely right that you'll have no clue what your body will look like after 70- 90 lbs more of loss but problem areas now will not improve so that is at least an indicator.

Also you'll be surprised how fast plastics can happen if your paying out of pocket ❤

Good Luck 💚

17 hours ago, Brent701 said:

I am still 30lbs from my goal and my progress has slowed to a crawl. I could still get in a lot more activity and really need something to motivate me as I can feel complacency of my "new normal".

@Brent701 - you just nailed something I've been trying to identify as 'off' with me the past 2 weeks...I know one huge area if physical activity and previously I was actually getting kind of a 'healthy high' as I'd like on beginner trails.

Don't know if it is the tons of extra hours I"m working...but I feeling the dread stirrings of complacency..and I'm too far away to have this settle in. I'm been so happy running around with new clothes that I think i'm starting to lose my focus on the prize...I simply cannot give into to patterns of behavior which will, for me, deter me from my goal in the end.

Start researching. It’s a lot of work finding the right surgeon. Not all are created equal. I’m still researching mine. It’s daunting.