Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2020 Surgery Folks Come On in!

2 hours ago, Krimsonbutterflies said:

My hospital provided an Abdominal binder for me after surgery. Very useful the firsr few days following your procedure.

And the folk at the Surgeon's office said that I really didn't need it... uh huh. I'm using a back brace that I have...

5 minutes ago, sweetsmith78 said:

My date got moved from april 2 to March 26.

It's getting very real!!! No preop diet as of yet, since my b.m.i I sent that high. Would you suggest to do a liquid diet on my own ?

You probably want to get in touch with your doctor's office. There is quite the variation in pre-ops diets. For me, it was 14 day liquid fast, for others only 7 days and some fewer than that. And then others were allow to eat a soft diet with Protein Shakes. Since your date is next week, I would get in contact with them to see how you are to prepare. Congratulations on your date, because so many have been cancelled for the latter part of March/early April.

14 minutes ago, sweetsmith78 said:

It's getting very real!!! No preop diet as of yet, since my b.m.i I sent that high. Would you suggest to do a liquid diet on my own ?

I would definitely follow your surgeon’s instructions when you get them. The liquid diet is to shrink your liver which in turn aides in the success of your surgery and your safety. With that said, every surgeon has different requirements. Are you getting sleeve, bypass, RNY? I had sleeve on March 3rd. I think it would be a good idea to do some sort of diet or cleanse prior to surgery. Good luck on your journey!!

Thank you all for posting about your surgeries. You all have made me feel so prepared. My surgery is tomorrow and im hoping it doesnt get cancelled. The hospital called me twice already to make sure im on my clear liquid diet and this morning to make sure i dont have any corona virus symptoms. Everytime they called me i thought they were going to tell me its cancelled. Its making me really anxious. To top it all off they said i cant bring my husband with me and that it would be drop off/pickup only. Kinda sucks not having someone there for me.

@Casey2020 that does suck not having anyone there with you. So are you outpatient? I was outpatient. If so, you get to see your hubby very soon!

once you get int there and get going, it goes pretty quick. There will be all kinds of nurses in out doing different things getting you ready so you’re not going to be alone, but I understand wanting someone you know and love there with you. I wish you best of luck and congratulations on having your surgery!!! We’re gonna say it is happening to put that energy out there and so it is!

Edited by CammyC

18 minutes ago, CammyC said:

@Casey2020 that does suck not having anyone there with you. So are you outpatient? I was outpatient. If so, you get to see your hubby very soon!

once you get int there and get going, it goes pretty quick. There will be all kinds of nurses in out doing different things getting you ready so you’re not going to be alone, but I understand wanting someone you know and love there with you. I wish you best of luck and congratulations on having your surgery!!! We’re gonna say it is happening to put that energy out there and so it is!

@CammyC Im inpatient. They said i will be there 2 nights. Thanks for the good energy! This is an odd question but do they let you wear a bra in the surgery room. Im trying to figure out what to pack/wear.

3 hours ago, Krimsonbutterflies said:

How are you feeling? I'm devastated and trying to get through this process and honestly I don't know how I do this, but I do it. I believe in God and I have to believe in myself to be a good grandmother to my son's child. I have to be, I appreciate BP because of people like you Mello 1, GreenTeal, Fluffy chick, Catwoman and this March group is amazing. So was my old January group of people, I'm thankful for the opportunity to transform my lifestyle and better health.

Sending you love and healing hugs. You’re so strong and will get stronger every day through this hard time.

@Casey2020 no girl, no bra. You gonna be naked under that hospital gown. I went in my pj’s essentially with granny panties and a very comfortable sports bra. My surgery was scheduled for 10:30. I arrived at 8:30 and was clothed for about 30 minutes. Whatever you pack, pack comfortably. You’re going to be VERY bloated and full of the gas they pump into you for the surgery. Think Of what you would wear when you left work on Friday with no plans the weekend and you plan to lay on the couch and binge your favorite movies all weekend. They are going to have you up and walking ASAP, so make sure it’s easy to walk in.

Edited by CammyC

44 minutes ago, Casey2020 said:

Thank you all for posting about your surgeries. You all have made me feel so prepared. My surgery is tomorrow and im hoping it doesnt get cancelled. The hospital called me twice already to make sure im on my clear liquid diet and this morning to make sure i dont have any corona virus symptoms. Everytime they called me i thought they were going to tell me its cancelled. Its making me really anxious. To top it all off they said i cant bring my husband with me and that it would be drop off/pickup only. Kinda sucks not having someone there for me.

Oh no, sorry Casey, that does suck. Was really nice to have him to lean on to walk around, but I will say the nurses were awesome at my hospital so hoping you have the same at yours. I know you’ll do great! You’ve wanted this for a long time and worked hard for it, so I’ve got tons of positive vibes for ya girl! Keep us posted and ask any questions needed. The people here have been sooo helpful!

Just found out my new surgery date is next Thursday 26th. Was cancelled yesterday due to my doctor being ill. Hoping that I really get it done next week with no other delays.

8 hours ago, sweetsmith78 said:

Your surgeon/nutritionist/center should have some sort of guidelines for you pre-op. Not every pre-op diet is liquid only. For me I was allowed to eat 800-1200 calories a day, having two Protein Shakes and one proper (lean) meal a day. The day before surgery I was allowed to have a carb-rich meal for dinner (I had a Pasta salad). My surgeon believes that the extra calories helps recovery go faster and based on my experience I'm totally on board! Even with my first surgery, I was allowed a similar pre-op diet with Clear Liquids only the 3 days before surgery. But on this board you'll find people who had to do 1-2 weeks liquids both pre- and post-op. It really depends on where you are getting your surgery. Whatever they suggest, follow it. If they aren't suggesting anything however, I'd be a little worried about that (and find out why).

Edited by biginjapan

20 hours ago, sweetsmith78 said:

I started out w 2 Protein Shakes and a healthy meal for dinner. It helped me get used to the diet before I had to start the pre op diet. Drink lots of Water. I also went to every meeting for the bariatric surgery, it helped me understand what was going to happen etc... Good luck and keep on moving! 😃😃😃

On 2/22/2020 at 7:40 PM, StarlaK said:

I watch Dr. Voung on utube also. I love them and get some great information from them. My surgery is March 30.

Mines is the 30th too

My surgery was canceled on Wednesday after a week on the all liquid diet. So frustrating! But those soft scrambled eggs and Keto toast as a first meal? Sooo good. It's frustrating when there are so few cases in my county but I know it's more about the supplies and concern of a future surge than the current situation. I'm hoping the hospital will reassess on Apr. 1 like the other hospital system in my area, but for now Peacehealth's stance is "indefinitely". This is hard as I work with special education students as a paraeducator and I am trying to also work with my teacher to figure out how we can support our 26 kids from a distance in April... when I would also hope to have surgery instead. This would have been so much easier if life had not gone insane for us all!

Upside, I am very techy and she is very supportive. We collaborate well on curriculum and a lot of what we use I've put online or in our Google drives. Downside, I have 15 kids from multiple classes who need reading/writing support alone through 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades and 5 more who need early literacy and math supports at all different skill levels between K and 2nd. And I have an 8th grader and 10th grader of my own at home to support. I worry so much for our most vulnerable kids and am really having to consider putting off my surgery until the end of June.