Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2020 Surgery Folks Come On in!

hello all,
I had an eventful day. I went back to work today—my first day back after two weeks out. Well all was fine until around lunch when I fainted at my desk. The manager wanted to call an ambulance and I was like oh heck naw!! I’m not going to a hospital while this virus is out there!
So I called my surgeon’s office and they told em to come in. I had to get my Mom to meet me halfway because I got dizzy while driving...so scary!!
They gave me fluids and Vitamins intravenous and sent me home for another week. Two weeks was def not long enough for my recovery. I know we’re all different, but so happy to have a surgeon who cares!

[mention=379354]Girlnextdoor00[/mention] I had the sleeve on March 3rd and yes I felt the internal pulling of my incisions! Oh it lasted Into the second week! My only advice is just because aware of your movements and take things slow. I hope it gets better soon.

@mello1 thinking of you and wishing you a speedy recovery! Sending you positive vibes!

[mention=378885]KokoA[/mention] That really sucks that your surgery was postponed especially after doing pre-op stuff!! I too had a postponement although mine was for insurance reasons but it was still put off for almost two more months. I finally had it March 3rd when my original surgery date was January 14th. I hope it rescheduled soon for you.

[mention=358158]asnirak [/mention] I’m not sure how many days out you are but just hold on!!! Everyday your new insides will get a little bit better. I wish I had more words but I’m two weeks post-op today so I know the first few days suck! What about sugar free Jello and /or sugar free popsicles?? I lived on sf popsicles for the first 4-5 days post surgery.
Oh my girlie! I'm so happy your ok and your surgeons were responsive. Yeah sounds like you definitely need more time off.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I have to be at the surgery center at 8 tomorrow for my sleeve. I’m nervous, scared, happy and elated all at the same time. Asking for prayers that it all works out good. Thanks
Definitely sending up prayers for a smooth operation and speedy recovery! Good luck!

I'm so glad you had your surgery. Mine was suppose to be today, but canceled. I'm in Michigan. Be well
So sorry to hear your surgery was cancelled. I hope all this crap clears up soon. This sucks.

My surgery was cancelled this morning due to my doctor being ill today. I’m supposed to find out tomorrow when I will be rescheduled. Disappointed, but understand it could not be helped. Hoping for next week.

Thanks to all of the well wishers! I'm back home now, so it's Day 1 Post - Op. Got a chance to walk around twice before I left and progressed better than I expected so far.

So to give others an idea of the experience -- those who are still waiting -- I want to share the following:

My surgery was around 8:30 am -- I was the first of the day. Even though I had taken a few things with me, I didn't use any of it.

I had to wash my belly with this towel with special solution on it and I was given a shot to prevent blood clots. I was rolled in the OR where it was very bright and cold as a refrigerator! They gave me lanocane? before they gave me the profocol to put me to sleep.

My surgery took a little longer because the surgeon had to remove old scar tissue from when I had my gallbladder removed and apparently I was a bleeder, but they didn't have to give me a transfusion.

In addition to the RNY, the surgeon repaired the hiatal hernia.

The hardest part after surgery was no drinking of anything for 24 hours. They wouldn't let me use this dry mouth spray that I had. They did give me liquid Tylenol for the pain and injection shots to combat nausea.

My legs were also wrapped with this device to promote circulation and no blood clots. I didn't give a lot of sleep last night because I was uncomfortable in that bed -- not made for tall people for sure.

I walked around the corridor twice yesterday and my sister patted my back to make sure the gas broke up.

They made 8 incisions into me because of the issues I described above, and the worst pain is my lower right abdomen. It feels like muscle pain mostly.

I do have some pain in my shoulders (the surgeon told me to expect that) and so now I'm trying to get all of the liquids in. I feel like I want to clug a lug, but! I know better than to do that. So now it's on to Day 1 post op liquids, practicing my breath and walking around the apartment,

Thanks to all of the well wishers! I'm back home now, so it's Day 1 Post - Op. Got a chance to walk around twice before I left and progressed better than I expected so far.
So to give others an idea of the experience -- those who are still waiting -- I want to share the following:
My surgery was around 8:30 am -- I was the first of the day. Even though I had taken a few things with me, I didn't use any of it.
I had to wash my belly with this towel with special solution on it and I was given a shot to prevent blood clots. I was rolled in the OR where it was very bright and cold as a refrigerator! They gave me lanocane? before they gave me the profocol to put me to sleep.
My surgery took a little longer because the surgeon had to remove old scar tissue from when I had my gallbladder removed and apparently I was a bleeder, but they didn't have to give me a transfusion.
In addition to the RNY, the surgeon repaired the hiatal hernia.
The hardest part after surgery was no drinking of anything for 24 hours. They wouldn't let me use this dry mouth spray that I had. They did give me liquid Tylenol for the pain and injection shots to combat nausea.
My legs were also wrapped with this device to promote circulation and no blood clots. I didn't give a lot of sleep last night because I was uncomfortable in that bed -- not made for tall people for sure.
I walked around the corridor twice yesterday and my sister patted my back to make sure the gas broke up.
They made 8 incisions into me because of the issues I described above, and the worst pain is my lower right abdomen. It feels like muscle pain mostly.
I do have some pain in my shoulders (the surgeon told me to expect that) and so now I'm trying to get all of the liquids in. I feel like I want to clug a lug, but! I know better than to do that. So now it's on to Day 1 post op liquids, practicing my breath and walking around the apartment,

So excited your home now! Thanks for the update. Enjoy a good nights sleep hopefully.

Oh man! I did not have the 24 hour no liquid thing. That’s a BUMMER. Other than that our experiences were very similar. Glad you are home and doing well!

I am one week post-op and down THIRTEEN POUNDS. 😲😲😲😲

Welcome back / home Mello 1. You had a lot done in one procedure, time to recover. You can truly focus on self and finally reap the fruits of your labor. The first 2 nights home for me where the hardest in terms of comfort, gas pains and the meds used during surgery lingering in my system. Hydration is key and Popsicles are good when you can't consume Water ot you need help hydrating.

Get some rest and put your feet up when you aren't walking.

@Mello1

My lower right is where I feel it most too. I bought a belly band from Amazon to make it easier to hold in that area. I am 5 days post op now. I still have no appetite and I try to get in as much fluids as i can but it's no where near the recommended amount. I was in a lot of pressure pain in the hospital. I took the pain meds for about 2 days but that was it. I started doing more little things around the house like sweeping and laundry. It takes me longer but I feel better moving then laying down.

I heard many people like the as popsicles, so I'm going to see if I can get my hands on some tomorrow.

Edited by Girlnextdoor00

One thing that's true for me is the 2-3 week stall. I'm not going to get my nerves in a bundle, 15 days out and I'm 12 pounds down, I'll take it. I have my ideas for this wls journey, I'm going to release control and go with the flow.

[mention=371067]Mello1[/mention]
My lower right is where I feel it most too. I bought a belly band from Amazon to make it easier to hold in that area. I am 5 days post op now. I still have no appetite and I try to get in as much fluids as i can but it's no where near the recommended amount. I was in a lot of pressure pain in the hospital. I took the pain meds for about 2 days but that was it. I started doing more little things around the house like sweeping and laundry. It takes me longer but I feel better moving then laying down.
I heard many people like the as popsicles, so I'm going to see if I can get my hands on some tomorrow.

I had that feeling one day in the middle of my belly...it was so weird. It came from me trying to get dressed too fast.But I remember reading others having the same experience. I used my abdominal binder or the little heart pilllow from the hospital. Hopefully that belly band will help you. But I would strongly advise you to take it easy and give your body time to heal. If you are feeling pain your body is telling you something. I promise after 2 weeks you will feel much better but still need rest. Whenever my abdominal area starts aching I stop and have a seat. Also I was still taking Tylenol 5 days post op. My first week and half was really really tough for me. I experienced alot of pain and slept alot. Please just take it easy. You'll be up and around in no time.

Sorry for the cancellations that keep coming up. Keeping my positive attitude because I know you all will get your surgeries in the proper time. It just wasn't in your plans to delay and I understand that.

I was originally scheduled for my surgery on 1/31/20, my son was shot on 1/21/20 and died on 1/22/20. He was going to be with me during my surgery and be my support and care system. I don't want to get into that, I'm sharing to say that sometimes we have to go with the flow and things aren't always in our control. Stay the course and if you are dedicated to your wls, it is going to happen for you. We will be right here cheering you on.