Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

going on vacation/holiday 7 weeks out of sleeve

hi there, I am having a sleeve at the end of May and due to travel on a 2 week holiday in the beginning of August. The holiday has been booked for some time, do you think I will be ok going on holiday 7 weeks after my wls? I suppose I am worried that there may be complications, or that I will still be struggling to drink or eat anything. I am not bothered about the all inclusive food (looking forward to not gaining for once) but I am more concerned that I might be at the airport struggling to get liquids down or keep food down at this stage. Any advice?

anyone been on holiday so soon after wls?

you will be fine and yes i traveled right after - Just plan accordingly

You should be absolutely fine, I would suggest bringing a shaker cup along with powdered protien and purchasing some bottled Water when you arrive, I did several road trips shortly after surgery and was just fine.

You'll be fine. I went on a cruise 9 weeks post-op and did fine. I just really paid attention to what I ate.

I have gone on several holidays already... one at 3 weeks post op, another at 5 weeks post op and 1 since then. By planning ahead, I was able to survive all of them! Even the trip to Disney with my daughter.

At 7 weeks, you should have most of your energy back, but still pace yourself. Make sure you provide yourself opportunities to rest between activities so you don't over-exert yourself. Eating WILL be a challenge, but it is a challenge you can manage. I make sure to have plenty of my Protein Shakes in a cooler, along with other quick/easy foods that I know I can tolerate. For food, I looked for places with a variety of Soups to try. Sticking with soups was much easier than figuring out what to eat on the rest of the menu. I also brought Snacks like cheese/nuts in single serving packets.

For the airport... you can buy Water past the security check point, and I recommend buying 2 water bottles for the plane ride. One can be used with Protein Powder for nutrition on the plane. The other is simply water. Stay hydrated as best as you can! You can buy individual serving Protein powder packets for ease of going through the security. Avoid eating foods you know you won't tolerate or you haven't already tried before getting on the plane. I really never threw up after my VSG. The one time I did was after I had anesthesia. Be careful not to overeat though... because I do get quite miserable when I overeat.

If you can, look at restaurant menus before you go to them. It takes me forever to figure out what to order that is high protein/low fat/low carb and cooked in a healthy way that my stomach will tolerate. Again... soups worked well for me.

I went to Disney world 8 weeks from my sleeve and didn’t have any problems at all. Go live it up and enjoy!

Thanks! my hubby was advising me to postpone the op until after the holiday but that takes me to Aug and I am already a bag of nerves waiting for May. I just hope that by week 7 I am able to eat and drink reasonably well with no nausea. We are going all inclusive so I am planning on having lots of Protein (fingers crossed my new belly likes chicken and meat) and Soups. I think there will be lots of options and I am hoping that this will be the first holiday I actually feel good about myself on. Usually I dread holidays and all the summer wear. Another reason for me not to delay wls, hopefully by the time I go in week 7 I will have shed some weight and be more focused on how I feel rather than the food etc!