Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here with questions!

Hi all; I will be having my surgery on Feb 5th and I am nervous yet so anxiously excited.

Would you all guide me to which topics I should read up on to get more information!

Guess my biggest question that I wonder about is how soon will the weight start to come off?

I'm on my pre op diet and have no issue following it; I've lost 6lbs in 4 days and my knees already thank me.

:)

stay off the scale the first week. They pump you full of fluids in the hospital, and many of us come home from the hospital heavier than when we went in - but it's all just fluids. They should work their way out of your system in a few days. If you step on the scale a week after coming from home the hospital, you should start seeing a loss.

Walk walk walk! As soon as you can get up!! They pump you full of gas and walking helps it work it’s way out.

11 hours ago, JettK said:

Guess my biggest question that I wonder about is how soon will the weight start to come off?

It all depends on you Stay on a very low calorie diet - Move and walk, Follow the rules and it will flow off you. As you can see by my stats i flowed off me, This is a mind game also so get your mind and body in control and enjoy the journey, Being healthy is a great feeling

I would say the expect 15 pounds a month as a average for a female but the harder you work at it the better you will be off

Enjoy and congratulations

10 hours ago, Sarah.E said:

My VSG surgery is also the 5th! I am on preop liquid diet day 3. Good luck to you!!

You’ve got this!! Day 3 was the worst for me but once it’s over it’s better.

Great responses so far - agree with all of them.

1. Only weigh yourself once a week - your weight will fluctuate daily and it will be discouraging when you see it temporarily go up.

2. You will have stalls - they are normal. At around 3-4 weeks is when your liver will return to its normal storing of glucose, plus when the liver dumped its stores pre-op it causes dehydration - temporarily looking like more fat loss than really occurred (the pre-op diet shrinks it to help the surgeon) so a stall here is usual. Search "stalls" or "three-week stall" for more posts on this. From what I've read here, stalls will happen occasionally throughout the weight loss process but often the inches will continue to come off. It's the bodies way of taking time to adjust.

3. You didn't mention which surgery you're having. If it's gastric sleeve then initially your sleeve will be swollen so when you start on solid foods it won't hold much at all. But once the swelling goes down it will hold a little more (ounces.) Everyone is different. But don't worry, you didn't stretch your sleeve! That takes "one extra bite at a time over about a year" according to surgeon Dr. Duc Vuong.

4. I started losing right away, and write down everything I eat in a food journal. Don't ever allow fattening, unhealthy foods in again and especially not high calorie drinks - you can override the surgery and regain the weight even eating smaller portions especially if eating every couple of hours.

5. If you haven't discovered him yet, on YouTube I highly recommend watching as many of Dr. Duc Vuong's videos as possible. His Breakfast green smoothie is what I've been doing since surgery and plan to continue forever.

6. When your clothes start falling off you avoid spending on new clothes - visit the local Goodwill or thrift store. You'll turn them in for smaller ones the following month after month. It's fun! And costs little. I've found so many nice clothes in good condition available that frankly this will now be the first place I go to shop even when I reach my goal weight.

7. Take your Vitamins and get enough Protein (and don't forget some healthy fats.) It will help keep you healthy plus temporary Hair loss at 3-6 months is frequently talked about here but getting enough protein and the proper vitamins may help either prevent it or make it less than otherwise. They say it grows back - I'm only at two months so haven't reached that point yet.

8. Immediately post-op know that pain meds cause Constipation so will keep the gas in causing more pain. By all means if you're in pain and need to take them do so at your surgeon's direction! But be sure to drink enough water/liquids and walk as mentioned by others here.

Good luck! Having weight loss surgery was the best thing I've ever done for myself especially for my health. And my knees are no longer aching as well. Whew! Who wants knee surgery?

Thank you for all the great advice! I will take every and all suggestions to heart!

3 more days!

For real follow your doctors directions!!! I have had quite a few friends who had the surgery around the same time I did. Most of them regained their weight. I listened to my doctor....because I was scared. I kept my weight off.

I guess it helped that I still cannot eat a lot of sugar, oil, etc. So really I have no choice.