Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't drink plain water

Ever since the hospital, the taste of unflavored Water makes me very nauseous 🤷🏼‍♀️ I do flavor my water with the sugar free stuff... But has anyone else had this issue ?! I can drink water with lemon juice and the sugar free flavors just fine... Weird [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using BariatricPal mobile app

28 minutes ago, kristieshannon said:

I don’t like plain Water either. I drink Vitamin Water zero.

I was fine drinking plain water prior to surgery. But now it just makes me sick every time I drink it. It reminds me of the saline they would flush my IV with. But it's so weird.

This is me! And I'm 16 months post op and was big Water drinker pre op. I put lemon juice or electrolytes in my water and I'm fine. Plain water and I'm nauseous or I throw up. My surgeon and dietician say that's how it is for some people :)

Try adding ice! That’s what helped me

I like Bae Water. My favorite is the pineapple coconut!

My Water preferences seems to constantly change over time.

At first I could only drink HOT plain water. Then I could only drink plain water with ICE. Then:

• carbonated with ice
  • carbonated with stevia flavoured drops
  • plain water with stevia flavoured drops
  • and now, 15 months post-op, I prefer it plain and HOT again, lol.

Moral of story: if you don't like it/tolerate it in a certain way, find another way of drinking it ❤️

15 hours ago, belikewater said:

This is me! And I'm 16 months post op and was big Water drinker pre op. I put lemon juice or electrolytes in my Water and I'm fine. Plain water and I'm nauseous or I throw up. My surgeon and dietician say that's how it is for some people :)

Ahhh okay ! So glad its something that happens and I'm not just being some kind of baby about water 😂 everyone's like "umm it's just water how does it make you nauseous?!" And I never had an answer except that I had no idea and I had to add flavor otherwise I felt so ill! Glad to know I'm not alone 😊😊

7 hours ago, ms.sss said:

My Water preferences seems to constantly change over time.

At first I could only drink HOT plain Water. Then I could only drink plain water with ICE. Then:

• carbonated with ice
  • carbonated with stevia flavoured drops
  • plain water with stevia flavoured drops
  • and now, 15 months post-op, I prefer it plain and HOT again, lol.

Moral of story: if you don't like it/tolerate it in a certain way, find another way of drinking it ❤️

Lol oh great so I'll probably experience taste change as well. Crazy how the body is after surgery!

I've been fine with Water, but find that sometimes lukewarm or hot water (latter in the form of tea) goes down easier than ice water. Especially in the morning. If you can get your fluids in with Crystal Light, that's fine. Any way to get them in, because that's the most critical thing right now.

5 minutes ago, cajunredpanda said:

I've been fine with Water, but find that sometimes lukewarm or hot Water (latter in the form of tea) goes down easier than ice water. Especially in the morning. If you can get your fluids in with Crystal Light, that's fine. Any way to get them in, because that's the most critical thing right now.

I use sugar free water flavoring. Or lemon juice. I try to drink 64 ounces a day but even that's been difficult since surgery because of taking smaller sips(not as small as right after surgery, but small to prevent discomfort). But I've been working on it 🤞

7 minutes ago, Rolltide87 said:

I use sugar free Water flavoring. Or lemon juice. I try to drink 64 ounces a day but even that's been difficult since surgery because of taking smaller sips(not as small as right after surgery, but small to prevent discomfort). But I've been working on it 🤞

I have a good bunch of Crystal Light and MIO flavors in my pantry, but haven't drank them much. I can get 64 ounces in easily, although I seem to be an outlier since I could drink that much very early on. Still, it's good to get as much as you can. I know you can do it.