Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I will be 2 years out on Apri 28. My program says that I should have 120-140 grams of Protein a day. That said I am lucky to get 50-70 grams of protein a day. Very lucky if I get 100 grams so most days I never get carbs as I have no room in my digestive track for carbs.

10 hours ago, ScoutCR said:

I will be 2 years out on Apri 28. My program says that I should have 120-140 grams of Protein a day. That said I am lucky to get 50-70 grams of Protein a day. Very lucky if I get 100 grams so most days I never get carbs as I have no room in my digestive track for carbs.

Wow, that is a lot of protein! Can you give some examples of what you might eat in a typical day to keep your carbs to a minimum? You look great by the way!

11 hours ago, ScoutCR said:

I will be 2 years out on Apri 28. My program says that I should have 120-140 grams of Protein a day. That said I am lucky to get 50-70 grams of Protein a day. Very lucky if I get 100 grams so most days I never get carbs as I have no room in my digestive track for carbs.

Base level protein should be calculated 0.36 grams of protein per 1 lb of body weight to support your body weight 58-60 is a good base goal. I understand they want to compensate somewhat for the bypass but 120-140 extremely excessive and your body won’t use protein that it doesn’t need. It just stores it as fat. Whatever you are doing is working great and congrats on 2 years!

I had bypass. We were told 60-80 grams of Protein a day. However, we found out early on that I malabsorb protein, so I have to average 100 grams a day, else my prealbumin level tanks. But I'm kind of an anomaly. So yes - your 120-140 level does seem really high for a "normal" bypass patient...most of them are half that.

On 1/31/2020 at 8:44 PM, BigLoser2020 said:

My surgeon didn’t make a recommendation. 30 or 40grams isn’t much but that may be a good number for me to stick with. I have wondered why these types of specifics were not laid out for me by either the surgeon or nutritionist. I guess that’s standard from the sound of it...

I was given a specific number for being only 3 months post-op. I have been advised to stay under 30 g of TOTAL carbs a day. Someone else did mention that each program can vary greatly though. I am in a program that is very strict on carbs.

It's so interesting how different everyone's plan is! At my 6 week appointment my nutritionist told me:

Protein first: 60-70 grams a day

No more than 50-80 grams of carb (I am generally much lower because I just don't have room

No more than 35 grams of fat (again, generally lower)

We are told to eat 3 times a day. No Snacks (Unless you need a Protein Shake to meet protein goals). I'm eating about 5 oz of food at a meal, although some days I portion 5 oz (usually ~3 oz lean protein plus veggies) and end up eating much less.

15 hours ago, loridee11 said:

It's so interesting how different everyone's plan is! At my 6 week appointment my nutritionist told me:

Protein first: 60-70 grams a day

No more than 50-80 grams of carb (I am generally much lower because I just don't have room

No more than 35 grams of fat (again, generally lower)

We are told to eat 3 times a day. No Snacks (Unless you need a Protein Shake to meet Protein goals). I'm eating about 5 oz of food at a meal, although some days I portion 5 oz (usually ~3 oz lean protein plus veggies) and end up eating much less.

That's so odd. I eat about 3 oz a meal on average. When I was eating closer to 5 oz, I struggled with vomiting.