Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Emotional eating

I lost my father a week ago. I have been emotionally eating ever since. Fries food, sweets, I make myself sick. I’m 2 months in. Advice on how to stop??

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I would advise to stay busy, maybe get some walks in when you feel like eating off plan. Hugs

My condolences, its a tough time for sure. For emotional eating I find it best if I find ways to keep me occupied other than eating. Going for walks, catching up with a friend or family member over the phone, etc. If you are inclined knitting or crocheting (or some other crafts) are good ways to keep both hands and mind occupied.

I would try to focus on the things your father wanted you to do that would better you......im pretty sure he would encourage you to keep on your healthy path and try to make sure you stay strong on your journey.

Maybe try going to see a therapist or a priest or even just a friend to talk out your emotions? Don't be afraid to let it all out, it may help you turn to food for comfort less often. Best wishes and I'm sorry for your loss.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327AZ using BariatricPal mobile app

On 1/31/2020 at 4:14 PM, Tomkat said:

I lost my father a week ago. I have been emotionally eating ever since. Fries food, sweets, I make myself sick. I’m 2 months in. Advice on how to stop??

So sorry to hear, I can completely relate. I found out early January that my dad passed. Although I'm not looking for fried foods or sweets (just was never my thing) I am looking for larger portions of hearty comfort foods like cheeseburgers etc...I have also been hanging out wit my friend Jose (Quervo) and my buddy Josh (cabernet) so needless to say I have created my own stall. I find the one thing that helps me though is to try and keep drinking herbal tea.

On 2/1/2020 at 9:50 AM, breavsg said:

Maybe try going to see a therapist or a priest or even just a friend to talk out your emotions? Don't be afraid to let it all out, it may help you turn to food for comfort less often. Best wishes and I'm sorry for your loss.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327AZ using BariatricPal mobile app

I’m soooo sorry for your loss. I agree, at this trying time when you must also perform to get the best surgery results, I would see someone that will keep up with you. I was worried about the same thing for myself because I have anxiety and depression. I ended up reaching out to my counselor at my college and he is helping me a great deal while I am searching for someone to see regularly. Remember, we all got to this weight and maintained it for a reason. Especially during times like these, drench yourself with self-care.