Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's something you wish you had known before losing all the weight?

On 02/04/2020 at 05:42, BoredFatGirl said:

That sounds promising! Do you have a link to some that you've bought? I'd like to see what I should be going for when I try to find them in my country. :)

https://recovery.marena.com/products/sfbhl-compression-girdle?variant=14424287477802&gclid=CjwKCAiAyeTxBRBvEiwAuM8dndrFQNGnUKFxgIO-PmvArBmKzdBtlURZoZEgCfqnrHQKLSCtZsA_fBoCu2cQAvD_BwE
I like this one because the bra on the full body one doesn’t fit me. They also have completely full body for the arms. The Marena have openings in the crotch so you don’t have to pull them down to use the potty. They’re not easy to get on, but worth the struggle.

On 02/04/2020 at 01:58, MsMocie said:

Haha! Is sort of like fish patties. I don't know if this is very known outside scandinavia, but it is a dish made of grounded fish and flour shaped into balls (yes) and then cooked in white sause. Served with potatoes, carrots, bacon and loads and loads of curry.

fiskebollerKarrisaus.jpg

Omg!! I wish our bacon looked like that in the US! Our bacon is more fat than meat.

Find a bra with side support to hold in the loose side boob. Stretch pants with a snug high waist will help hold in the loose skin muffin top. I saved one pair of jean shirts from prior to surgery for the days I look it my hanging belly and dream of a Tummy Tuck, to remind myself of how far I’ve come.

What I wish I knew before I had surgery five years ago.

When vets told me you will be able to eat more as you progress was so true.

Working on the mental battles of weight loss was not easy. Overcoming my behaviors was one of the best gifts out of surgery. They are not 100% gone. I manage them much better.

I'm older 45 day of surgery - 51 now. All the stress over vanity was a bit ridiculous for me. Honestly, I look better not obese. My loose skin is livable and I have gained muscle weight lifting. It has filled out the skin a bit. I looked into plastics twice. I backed out both times. I am happy with my body and rock my old fart self.

Transitioning to maintenance was not what I had expected.

My sense of smell is so out of whack. My mom was eating Cheerios the other day and I thought it smelled like dog food.

I'm 60 pounds down from my highest (40 since surgery) and I'm already seeing loose skin on my arms and thighs. I'm dreading what they'll look like after more weight loss. Now, I'm grateful that I'm finally under 300 for the first time in years. It's just shocking that I'm already seeing that. I don't feel much different in my stomach or face despite my body measurements telling me otherwise; my clothes mostly fit the same.

Had I know how fast my body would change, I wouldn't have spent hundreds of dollars worth of interim clothes and tailor costs on items I would wear for less than a month

🙄

15 hours ago, ms.sss said:

Had I know how fast my body would change, I wouldn't have spent hundreds of dollars worth of interim clothes and tailor costs on items I would wear for less than a month

🙄

Yeah, I think investing in some stretchy leggings and tank tops is going to be my best option for keeping it cheap while losing all this weight!

1 hour ago, BoredFatGirl said:

Yeah, I think investing in some stretchy leggings and tank tops is going to be my best option for keeping it cheap while losing all this weight!

actually now that I think of it...i want to add to the "something-I-wish-I-had-know-before-losing-the-weight":

➡️➡️ I would have scheduled my surgery so that the rapid weight loss phase was over the summer:

• Summer clothes are cheaper, and I would've been at goal weight by winter so I could invest in the more expensive winter clothes and not have to replace them...
  • Running outside would have been easier when I first started.
  • I was soooooo cold in the beginning, the summer heat would have helped comfort-wise.

* I had my surgery in Oct. So my weight loss phase happened during Nov-May. If I could do it over again, I would have had the surgery in March or April.

* Of course, if I lived in an year-round warmer climate, this would not matter, LOL.

4 hours ago, ms.sss said:

actually now that I think of it...i want to add to the "something-I-wish-I-had-know-before-losing-the-weight":

➡️➡️ I would have scheduled my surgery so that the rapid weight loss phase was over the summer:

• Summer clothes are cheaper, and I would've been at goal weight by winter so I could invest in the more expensive winter clothes and not have to replace them...
  • Running outside would have been easier when I first started.
  • I was soooooo cold in the beginning, the summer heat would have helped comfort-wise.

* I had my surgery in Oct. So my weight loss phase happened during Nov-May. If I could do it over again, I would have had the surgery in March or April.

* Of course, if I lived in an year-round warmer climate, this would not matter, LOL.

That's fair! I am hoping that I will be scheduled sometime soon after I see my dietitian, but we will see what they have to say when I get there! I bought a winter jacket online last year that was pretty expensive and it ended up being at least 3 sizes too big on me, but I am stuck with it and have been.. I will be happy that by the time I need something like that again, I could grab myself something more realistic to wear outside!

Hi y’all I’m a year and three month post op and I go through phases of dang I wish I knew that.

I wish I had prepped myself more first coming out. (Had a shitty recovery lol) I would have given myself a better support system, instead of trying to do it alone.

I wish I had more mental preparation because it is a huge lifestyle change. Even a year out I struggle with all the changes and how different my life is.

Im extremely happy with the decision to get the sleeve. I’d definitely encourage anyone struggling like I was to do the same. It’s a journey and it’s not always easy, but it really is amazing and worth it.

5 hours ago, Sami.xo said:

I would have given myself a better support system, instead of trying to do it alone.

I definitely understand this. I've been telling pretty much everyone in my inner circle that I am going through with surgery, even updating my Facebook with my current weight loss progress, and it seems like I've got a good amount of outside support! :)

I wish I had more mental preparation because it is a huge lifestyle change. Even a year out I struggle with all the changes and how different my life is.

My main concern is I drink like a fish (not alcohol, but Water, for instance) and it seems like I won't be able to chug water like I am able to now. I think I can handle the food, though. I've been replacing 1-2 of my meals a day with a Protein Shake as of recently and its not terrible!

Im extremely happy with the decision to get the sleeve. I’d definitely encourage anyone struggling like I was to do the same. It’s a journey and it’s not always easy, but it really is amazing and worth it.

I am happy to hear that you feel that way. I honestly think its the best choice for people who struggle with their health and losing any weight at all is a step in the right direction to a longer, healthier life. :)

On 2/4/2020 at 3:28 AM, Sheribear68 said:

I wish I’d taken more before photos.
I literally would run and hide anytime there was a photo op and therefore I don’t have a single HW snapshot.
The only thing I’ve got is a photo where my sister ambushed me on Christmas Eve 2018, which was after I’d lost some pre-surgery weight and I was already 20 pounds down from my HW.

As painful as it was to see those photos at the time, I regret that I don’t have a anything really as a point of reference.

Same here...and probably true for most of us! I avoided getting photographed when I was fat and only kept the most flattering shots. As a result, I have no photos now to truly show how far I have come....although I guess the most important thing is that I know.

I wish I had known how many foods my stomach wouldn't tolerate anymore and that food wouldn't be fun, just fuel, going forward.

On 2/6/2020 at 3:09 PM, BoredFatGirl said:

I definitely understand this. I've been telling pretty much everyone in my inner circle that I am going through with surgery, even updating my Facebook with my current weight loss progress, and it seems like I've got a good amount of outside support! :)

My main concern is I drink like a fish (not alcohol, but Water, for instance) and it seems like I won't be able to chug Water like I am able to now. I think I can handle the food, though. I've been replacing 1-2 of my meals a day with a Protein Shake as of recently and its not terrible!

I am happy to hear that you feel that way. I honestly think its the best choice for people who struggle with their health and losing any weight at all is a step in the right direction to a longer, healthier life. :)

I’m not sure if it’s different for other people but I still can’t chug water. I miss it so much lol

3 hours ago, Sami.xo said:

I’m not sure if it’s different for other people but I still can’t chug Water. I miss it so much lol

Awww! I know I will miss it too. I've always been one to drink a whole lot of liquids. I recently switched to only ice cold water and omgg.. *drools* I can't get enough!