Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's something you wish you had known before losing all the weight?

50 minutes ago, curlz74 said:

Call me whatever you want to call me, but I'm slightly more worried about my appearance than the actual change in diet

I am right there with you! While I want to be healthy, I also want to look good! I am hoping to have as little plastic surgery done as possible after surgery, so any advice to help keep up the appearance is a godsend.

Something mentioned in some online videos watched prior to surgery still took me by surprise: Having so much less energy than before mainly due to the significantly lower calories taken in plus being off sugar (yes!.) Before I'd use sugar and food in general to fuel me through a busy day and of course it contributed greatly to my obesity and health problems.

Six months ago I bought a fixer upper home and am finding projects that would have been done in a few days now take weeks. What I expect to accomplish each day is much less than ever before and I've had to get used to it. But I decided that my health is and will be my #1 priority for the rest of my life, and getting off the sugar and overeating train is a big part of that.

So now when I plan my day it's: 1) Eat right, 2) Get some exercise - a walk or whatever, then 3) Maybe put a coat of chalk paint on a bookcase or work a bit on insulating my new shed. Sure before I'd have insulated the shed in one day, then put up the drywall in maybe two days, then painted the inside in one day - all fueled by mega calories and sugar. Now I'm on the the take-it-slow track and have needed to become accustomed to that. It helps that I retired early to focus on my health so don't have an employer pushing me to be super productive as was the case for much of my adult life.

On 1/31/2020 at 7:23 AM, RobertaMSN said:

Something mentioned in some online videos watched prior to surgery still took me by surprise: Having so much less energy than before mainly due to the significantly lower calories taken in plus being off sugar (yes!.) Before I'd use sugar and food in general to fuel me through a busy day and of course it contributed greatly to my obesity and health problems.

Six months ago I bought a fixer upper home and am finding projects that would have been done in a few days now take weeks. What I expect to accomplish each day is much less than ever before and I've had to get used to it. But I decided that my health is and will be my #1 priority for the rest of my life, and getting off the sugar and overeating train is a big part of that.

So now when I plan my day it's: 1) Eat right, 2) Get some exercise - a walk or whatever, then 3) Maybe put a coat of chalk paint on a bookcase or work a bit on insulating my new shed. Sure before I'd have insulated the shed in one day, then put up the drywall in maybe two days, then painted the inside in one day - all fueled by mega calories and sugar. Now I'm on the the take-it-slow track and have needed to become accustomed to that. It helps that I retired early to focus on my health so don't have an employer pushing me to be super productive as was the case for much of my adult life.

My energy was very low for several months after surgery. Your body is still recovering and adapting to all of the changes, including the new diet. I can't remember exactly when it happened, but after 11 months I definitely have much more energy than I did before (when I was eating sugar--and a whole lot of other unhealthy stuff). I think it's largely because I'm not dragging around so much extra weight, and also the fact that I'm using food to fuel my body. I no longer eat any processed sugar, and I have more energy than I have in decades!

Marena compression garments are used after liposuction to reduce swelling and helped my daughter after her 150 pound weight loss after RNY. She has very little excess skin, even on her belly where she carried all of her weight. They’re not cheap, but you only need a couple of full body garments. I’m wearing them now after my vsg and they really do help A LOT!!

I wish I’d taken more before photos.
I literally would run and hide anytime there was a photo op and therefore I don’t have a single HW snapshot.
The only thing I’ve got is a photo where my sister ambushed me on Christmas Eve 2018, which was after I’d lost some pre-surgery weight and I was already 20 pounds down from my HW.

As painful as it was to see those photos at the time, I regret that I don’t have a anything really as a point of reference.

I also have another one:

I wish I would’ve had more mutual hobbies with friends other than eating and drinking out before this process.
Your life takes such a 180 when it’s no longer food-centric and I’ve missed a lot of times with friends this year bc they can’t exactly figure out how I fit in anymore.
We are all still trying to figure it out, but the social life WILL take a big hit and I’m learning that it’s just unavoidable and that eventually things will get back on track.

On 1/30/2020 at 7:10 AM, MsMocie said:

I I can't eat anything that is a patty or a ball (burgers, meat balls, fish balls,etc

Fish balls? I didn't know fish had balls. I've heard of mountain oysters, but not fish balls. (Sorry couldn't resist!)

I didn't know that I was going to become so obsessed with food and drink. Not obsessed like wanting to eat things I can't have, but making myself eat three times a day, measuring everything, and force myself to drink liquids I don't want. Before my surgery I only ate when I was hungry, and just grabbed stuff and chowed it down. Now I have to practice "mindful eating", and I feel like I have become a slave to food more than I ever did when I was really obese!

18 hours ago, Sheribear68 said:

I wish I’d taken more before photos.
I literally would run and hide anytime there was a photo op and therefore I don’t have a single HW snapshot.
The only thing I’ve got is a photo where my sister ambushed me on Christmas Eve 2018, which was after I’d lost some pre-surgery weight and I was already 20 pounds down from my HW.

As painful as it was to see those photos at the time, I regret that I don’t have a anything really as a point of reference.

I was feeling the same once I started going through my photos. I have tons of flattering selfies, that don't show my chin, stomach, or anything else that I am otherwise ashamed of. I decided to put on some shorts and sports bra to take some 'honest' full-body pictures of myself so that I have reference once I lose weight. Its so hard to look at them now, and I don't even have the nerve to share them before weight loss. Just another reason to keep going!

18 hours ago, Sheribear68 said:

I also have another one:

I wish I would’ve had more mutual hobbies with friends other than eating and drinking out before this process.
Your life takes such a 180 when it’s no longer food-centric and I’ve missed a lot of times with friends this year bc they can’t exactly figure out how I fit in anymore.
We are all still trying to figure it out, but the social life WILL take a big hit and I’m learning that it’s just unavoidable and that eventually things will get back on track.

I noticed this as well while on my current diet. It's been hard, as that's the main reason I get 'invites' to go out. I think coming up with ideas that aren't related to eating and drinking and doing the inviting myself for these types of events will help. For instance, I have a group of people coming over tonight and we are gonna play some DnD (tabletop game) together. 👍

22 hours ago, Taj said:

Marena compression garments are used after liposuction to reduce swelling and helped my daughter after her 150 pound weight loss after RNY. She has very little excess skin, even on her belly where she carried all of her weight. They’re not cheap, but you only need a couple of full body garments. I’m wearing them now after my vsg and they really do help A LOT!!

That sounds promising! Do you have a link to some that you've bought? I'd like to see what I should be going for when I try to find them in my country. :)

6 hours ago, JRT Mom said:

Fish balls? I didn't know fish had balls. I've heard of mountain oysters, but not fish balls. (Sorry couldn't resist!)

I didn't know that I was going to become so obsessed with food and drink. Not obsessed like wanting to eat things I can't have, but making myself eat three times a day, measuring everything, and force myself to drink liquids I don't want. Before my surgery I only ate when I was hungry, and just grabbed stuff and chowed it down. Now I have to practice "mindful eating", and I feel like I have become a slave to food more than I ever did when I was really obese!

I can definitely understand the being obsessed with how you intake food and drink. I am still preop, but I am on a diet where I measure everything out (besides my water). I do feel a little obsessive about it, but I also kind of like the feeling of knowing EXACTLY what's going into my body.

3 hours ago, MsMocie said:

Haha! Is sort of like fish patties. I don't know if this is very known outside scandinavia, but it is a dish made of grounded fish and flour shaped into balls (yes) and then cooked in white sause. Served with potatoes, carrots, bacon and loads and loads of curry.

fiskebollerKarrisaus.jpg

I think I've seen the fish balls in stores here (Denmark) and always been weary. I like frikadeller and have found a way to make it more low carb friendly (replacing flour with almond flour, etc). It is my husband who is the Dane, though, so he handles our Danish dishes. I wonder if the fish balls are tasty, though! I am a big fan of fish, but usually only when its deep fried, so I've avoided it.

Agree - I was stunned the go to was to grab a bite or drink. Never to just take a class go for walk or see a show with no food. Also a ton of dysmorphia. - 5 years later I do not feel thin.

Positive reenforcement that is not food - spa stuff, a piece of clothes or jewelry. A day doing something - painting or such. Learning to make fish patties. Learning to dance.

Things i wish i had know before Sleeved? Hmmmmm good topic

1. Wish i would have known i was going to get drilled with all the questions, Are you sick? Cancer?

2. Wish i would have known that my head would be F#$cked up sometimes with head games?

3. Wish i would have know that i would look older when slimmer?

4. Wish i would have known that others piss me off the way they eat

4.5 Wish i would have know that i would get addicted to this forum, Protein powders and new tricks to get healthy

5. and the most important thing .... Wish i would have know how good and healthy i would feel after surgery, weight loss and getting healthy .....YOU KNOW WHY....i would have done this 15 years ago!

The unknown is exactly that unknown so go for the ride and enjoy the journey!