Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm new to the forum. I had my sleeve done six years ago and I loved it...that is until 4 months ago when medication was no longer keeping my reflux in check. I've lost 150lbs and have maintained that loss. I had a hiatal hernia repaired last month and I still have gerd symptoms and I'm terrified of having a revision. Has anyone had a revision completed? If so which one? Did you have complications? Did you have Hair loss again? Vitamin deficiencies? Any complications at all?

I'm in the same situation as you are. I'm having a revision February 11th.

RNY is the only currently done weight loss surgery that usually (not always - but usually) improves - if not outright cures - GERD.

5 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

RNY is the only currently done weight loss surgery that usually (not always - but usually) improves - if not outright cures - GERD.

Yes. That’s what I’ve heard. I just hope they the approve. When he said to me today don’t get your hopes up I’m second guessing the approval now.
I was fine and knew they would approve. The insurance they is, I called. When he said you never came back. Huh. Why would I. I was fine. lol

I revised from sleeve to rny almost 9 weeks ago because of gerd.
I am just now starting to have pretty bad Hair loss so it does happen with each surgery.

I am not due to have Vitamin levels checked until next month. I keep up with taking Vitamins and if there are any deficiencies, I will correct them. I think that a person just has to stay on top of being checked so that nothing gets too far out of control.

I no longer have gerd and my hernia was repaired. So far the surgery has been well worth it.

11 hours ago, Losingit2018 said:

I revised from sleeve to rny almost 9 weeks ago because of gerd.
I am just now starting to have pretty bad Hair loss so it does happen with each surgery.

I am not due to have Vitamin levels checked until next month. I keep up with taking Vitamins and if there are any deficiencies, I will correct them. I think that a person just has to stay on top of being checked so that nothing gets too far out of control.

I no longer have gerd and my hernia was repaired. So far the surgery has been well worth it.

How long ago did you have the sleeve surgery?

34 minutes ago, kglowins said:

How long ago did you have the sleeve surgery?

I had sleeve 3/26/18 rny on 11/22/19

Edited by Losingit2018

26 minutes ago, Losingit2018 said:

I had sleeve 3/26/18 rny on 11/22/19

Thanks for sharing. I did it six years ago. I know this may sound dramatic but it almost feels like I'm being punished to have to go through a revision when I've done so well. I don't want to start over...not that I necessarily have a choice. But if I had known at the time how common revision surgery was because of reflux I don't think I would've had surgery at all.

1 hour ago, kglowins said:

Thanks for sharing. I did it six years ago. I know this may sound dramatic but it almost feels like I'm being punished to have to go through a revision when I've done so well. I don't want to start over...not that I necessarily have a choice. But if I had known at the time how common revision surgery was because of reflux I don't think I would've had surgery at all.

Not dramatic at all!!!
I agree with you. I wonder why GERD is a big deal. I would have even done bypass instead of sleeve in the beginning.

2 hours ago, kglowins said:

I totally understand! That is exactly how I felt. I came very close to backing out of the revision and taking my chances with the ppis.
plus at the time of my initial surgery I almost switched to rny right up until surgery. My thoughts were that I did not want to have the surgery twice.
Don’t fear the bypass though. Just be sure to take Vitamins every single day. Keep up with having your bloodwork done and you should do just fine.

41 minutes ago, ge0rgette2 said:

Not dramatic at all!!!
I agree with you. I wonder why GERD is a big deal. I would have even done bypass instead of sleeve in the beginning.

Gerd leads to Barrett’s and cancer. Definitely have to get it taken care of. There is the option of taking ppis for life but they are finding out those can lead to all sorts of other problems such as dementia.

Here is an interesting article I read that helped me to feel better about revising

https://www.naturalnews.com/2019-12-03-dangerous-drugs-linked-to-fatal-diseases-and-cancer-heartburn-meds-death.html

4 hours ago, Losingit2018 said:

Gerd leads to Barrett’s and cancer. Definitely have to get it taken care of. There is the option of taking ppis for life but they are finding out those can lead to all sorts of other problems such as dementia.

Yes. That’s what I was told and have heard. I asked the doctor, I saw last week (my surgeon is on maternity leave!) and he said it’s very minimal that it causes cancer. I know I cannot live everyday, all day, with this heartburn! And the vomitting at night time, half the time anyways.
I def want to get rid of this. Had heartburn prior to sleeve and in my 20s but not like this. Can’t live the rest of life like it. Wow. I’ve been on PPIs for a while now. Years even before surgery. Went away and back now with a vengeance. I hope this coordinator is wrong when he says “don’t get your hopes up”