Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein shakes and nausea

Hi, I’m almost a month post surgery and every time i drink Protein Shakes i get nauseas. I had no nausea or vomiting following this surgery, it just started this past week. Any advice or has this happened to anyone else?

You may be allergic to whey or lactose

You may be allergic to whey or lactose

Dear lord i hope not! I grew up on a dairy farm so a milk allergy developing now would be a problem! Lol

some people DO develop lactose intolerance after surgery, but it's sometimes temporary. However, I'm thinking this may have shown up right away if this were the case - not a month later. I'd run it by my surgeon.

...I was lactose intolerant already before surgery, but it seems to have got worse afterwards (and still is). I'm 1 yr 3 months post op.

Have you tried switching Protein Shakes? Like others said, you may have developed a whey or lactose or gluten intolerance and just need to try one that's lactose-free, not made with whey, etc. They also make clear fruity Protein Drinks, which might work for you better. You can get them at Sam's Club.

Have you tried different flavors to see if that makes a difference? I’m 6 weeks out and have just started getting nauseous after drinking the vanilla Premier Protein shakes, though I have no issues with the other flavors (and didn’t have any issue with vanilla before).

On 1/28/2020 at 8:01 PM, brooksbrittanyanne said:

Hi, I’m almost a month post surgery and every time i drink Protein Shakes i get nauseas. I had no nausea or vomiting following this surgery, it just started this past week. Any advice or has this happened to anyone else?

I drink Ensure Plus on ice and it will take over 30 minutes.

Damn, all of a sudden Ariel (my stomach) is refusing Premier Protein shakes. The shake is behaving like a diuretic, wth!!!! Trying to meet my Protein goals and this chick is acting up. I don't want to waste my money and product, going to drink the Isopure Black Tea flavor for the next few days and see how Ariel's feeling.

I would highly suggest making your own shakes - after doing so for years I have a hard time drinking any of the pre-made ones, they just don't sit right. That way you can try non-dairy alternatives (at least for the time being) like soy or almond milk. I also like the juice Protein drinks (like Syntrax) - they mix easy and go down easy.

Note: I noticed that this is a slightly older thread, but the advice still stands for anyone new to the discussion.

I have one Ensure Max on ice every morning. It is chocolate and I shake it well. Right after surgery, it was not my favorite drink, but later it was fine. It is low in calories, sugar and high in Protein 30g. I don't like any of the powders and found I could only use the vegan powder, very expensive, then after adding the fruits and stuff the calories were high and sugar was high. It is an acquired taste, but so is my new way of eating. Good luck.

I get nauseous just THINKING about Protein Shakes. There is something about their taste and texture (and I've tried several) that is just disgusting to me. For the first few weeks after my surgery, I was okay with clear Protein drinks, but those started grossing me out after a while, too, and now the thought of those makes me gag.

Sent from my SM-T820 using BariatricPal mobile app