Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, this is my first post and I’m desperate for help. I’m 4 months almost 5 months post gastric bypass. I’m down 40 pounds. Only a few weeks ago did I notice I’m not feeling full like I was before. I thought it was just my body healing and I’d get back to my body limiting me on what I eat but it hasn’t. I realized that I picked up on drinking Water while I ate and I’m just finding out that this is the BIGGEST no-no after surgery. I’m a water freak and just didn’t know how serious it was. Is there anyway I can go back to the way I felt (aka full) or did I ruin this for myself? I was going to go back on my liquid diet for the next week but I need to hear that I haven’t messed this up and want to take any advice I can get. It’s been almost 4 weeks since I’ve felt “full”. Please help me.

Edited by SamDS

Don't stress you're 5 months out of course your ability to eat more will grow

Isn't the real question: how much have you been eating per day? Water, no water. Who cares. It's calories that matter. You can stop drinking and see if it makes you feel full, but really at this point it's just you choosing how much you want to consume.

there are a million excuses, and I have used many in life as we'll. But at some point in life you have to take control of you life, or all is eventually lost. WLS is a great tool to help people make change.

Drinking Water while eating will flush the food right through your pouch and you will not feel full. If you go back to no drinking 30 minutes prior to eating I think you will regain that "full" feeling.

your stomach can hold more food as you get further out, and also, for those who lose their hunger post-surgery (most people do, but not all), it often comes back around this time. HOWEVER, the Water pushing the food out of your stomach may be causing this as well. As someone else said, go back to waiting at least 30 minutes after eating before drinking anything.

I wanted to note that my surgeon and nutritionist said it's fine to drink Water right up until eating,, but definitely not for at least 30 minutes after.

1 hour ago, Recidivist said:

I wanted to note that my surgeon and nutritionist said it's fine to drink Water right up until eating,, but definitely not for at least 30 minutes after.

yes - some of us were told that. We (as in patients at my clinic) were told to not drink up until eating for the first few weeks, but once we were on solid foods, it was OK. Not sure of the rationale for that, but whatever... At any rate, I drink right up until I eat.

you should not be drinking with meals is like the #1 rule.

The way to stop..... don't have it on the table... and i say table because its the only place she should be eating. Even when eating out i tell the waiter to not even bring it to the table.... Because out of habit, you will pick up the glass and you will drink... it's not that you want to or even need to you just will.

Put a timer on your phone after you swallow your last bite.

You want to make it work... do your part and follow the rules.

Portion your food (i personally use 1/8cup), cut your food in tiny bites (everything), take one bite, put down the fork, let go of the fork, place hands under your butt/thighs, chew each bite for at least 20 seconds, swallow, wait and let go down (for me its' about 10 sec), assess my full triggers (for me it's left shoulder pain), pickup fork take another bite... repeat..... if you finish your meal, set timer for 30 min., get up and put dish in sink/dishwasher. This is when i normally start prepping a lunch meal for the next day for me and my husband (if he is in town). Start cleaning the kitchen... by then the timer goes off and i have a drink.

Don't beat yourself up, it's not the end of the world. Go back to not drinking while eating. It's a rule forever going forward. In terms of fullness, it's a natural progression that you're going to start getting some hunger back and be able to eat more, but keep portion sizes in mind and stick to the rules even if you feel like you could put more food in your stomach.

I am horrible at following this as I have been washing my food back with drinks for years. I know if i drink while eating I am in for a lot of pain yet I still find myself pushing it at times. I call it digestive hell when I eat and drink. If you absolutely must just take tiny sips as if you do gulp you are in for a lot of pain.

The main reason you don't drink while eating is to keep the food in there to help get satiated. It's not going to ruin you, but it's good that you recognized the difference. Good luck

Sent from my moto e5 supra using BariatricPal mobile app

Isn't the real question: how much have you been eating per day? Water, no water. Who cares. It's calories that matter. You can stop drinking and see if it makes you feel full, but really at this point it's just you choosing how much you want to consume.
there are a million excuses, and I have used many in life as we'll. But at some point in life you have to take control of you life, or all is eventually lost. WLS is a great tool to help people make change.
No.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using BariatricPal mobile app