Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best decision ever to get RNY

Even with the leak (in hospital for 3 months) and the sleeve not working so had to get RNY... no regrets. Could not have lost 130 lbs without it. I felt like I was dying when I was 360 lbs... I'm pretty sure I would be on my way by now to a heart attack. So no... none.

19 hours ago, Losingit2018 said:

Some of the things that made me think hard about having the bypass in the beginning was that I did not want to have to do surgery twice.

This is what I'm worried about. As you said, some people do just fine with the sleeve. But I'm afraid that if I went with the sleeve, it might cause GERD. I've had acid reflux in the past, but it went away after the removal of my gallbladder. But I'm really worried it may be a problem for me and then I may need to do a bypass. I've been contemplating the bypass for the last week now, it's definitely alot to think about that's for sure.

On 01/28/2020 at 15:58, froufrou said:

Even with the leak (in hospital for 3 months) and the sleeve not working so had to get RNY... no regrets. Could not have lost 130 lbs without it. I felt like I was dying when I was 360 lbs... I'm pretty sure I would be on my way by now to a heart attack. So no... none.

Oh wow! Did you have the sleeve done local or did you go medical destination? I’m glad things worked out in the end for you though!

I too am 7 days out. My emotions have been all over the place...scared as hell, mostly for the surgery itself and immediate recovery (sick, nauseous, fear of never being able to swallow?!? Yes, these are my fears after reading so much about "can hardly get anything down". I have amazing children and family and worry every day that im making a mistake in messing up my perfectly happy (albeit chubby) tummy. Then on flip side, Im anxious to have weight drop off, to learn to eat so much more healthy and feel good about myself. My biggest fears are the physical changes that will happen and fearing i'll never feel 'good' inside again. I hope I am wrong!

too am 7 days out. My emotions have been all over the place...scared as hell, mostly for the surgery itself and immediate recovery (sick, nauseous, fear of never being able to swallow?!? Yes, these are my fears after reading so much about "can hardly get anything down". I have amazing children and family and worry every day that im making a mistake in messing up my perfectly happy (albeit chubby) tummy. Then on flip side, Im anxious to have weight drop off, to learn to eat so much more healthy and feel good about myself. My biggest fears are the physical changes that will happen and fearing i'll never feel 'good' inside again. I hope I am wrong!

too am 7 days out. My emotions have been all over the place...scared as hell, mostly for the surgery itself and immediate recovery (sick, nauseous, fear of never being able to swallow?!? Yes, these are my fears after reading so much about "can hardly get anything down". I have amazing children and family and worry every day that im making a mistake in messing up my perfectly happy (albeit chubby) tummy. Then on flip side, Im anxious to have weight drop off, to learn to eat so much more healthy and feel good about myself. My biggest fears are the physical changes that will happen and fearing i'll never feel 'good' inside again. I hope I am wrong!

You'll do great. I was sleeved on 1/8 and had no nausea, and was able to take tiny sips right after surgery with not too much pain. The hospital will take good care of you, and don't be afraid to ask for your pain meds, you'll want to be comfortable so you can walk. The day of surgery and until the following day around noon I was on a Patient Controlled pain pump with dilaudid, any time I had pain I'd push the button and poof, back to sleep. Recovery at home is much less painful, I think I only took the pain meds for 3 days and then the pain was minimal. If you haven't yet, I would say invest in an abdominal binder for post op, I woke up with one on and it helps a ton. I hope this helps a little! Know that you're making a life changing (for the better) step and your family will get to have a happier, healthier, longer living you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327AZ using BariatricPal mobile app

I don't regret it for a moment. Literally the best thing I could have done. I remember being a week out and nervous as could be constantly thinking "What am I about to do to myself". Honestly, the best advice I could give would be to stop reading the horror stories online. I went in on June 10th 2019. I waited in pre-surgery for what seemed like forever which they gave me Water and Tylenol. The docs came out and told me what was going to happen and then a short while later I was wheeled in to the room. It was chaos, but the nurse who had been with me stayed by my side. I was in the room for maybe three minutes when they said we just gave you something that's going to make you sleepy. That was it. Out like a light. I woke up in recovery and I was sore but not in incredible pain. Still groggy I slept off and on until about midnight when I had the gas pains in the shoulder and neck that I had been warned about.

The night nurse was great, she came and walked me every half hour and every time I walked the pain lessened. I spent most of the night walking, eating Popsicles and drinking water. (I hate Jello but it was available)

Swallowing hurt at first but it was similar to strep throat. Not impossible or agonizing. By noon time the next day I just wanted to go home. I felt okay and was ready to be free from the boring hospital room.

For the first few weeks I slept in a recliner rather than my bed because the incisions were uncomfortable when I laid down. Not horrible pain but nagging enough to keep me awake. My wife set up Protein Shakes in shot glasses in the fridge so every hour or so I would get up and walk around and take a shot. I moved on to Soups and finally that first scrambled egg meal was the best. I ate a lot of single egg omelets with cheese. In fact, my wife says I got so good at making omelets in the first thirty days that she'll put my omelets against any Breakfast joint in town.

The hardest part was coping with not eating with everyone else when I returned to work and social outings. That and staying in clothes that fit. Thrift stores became my best friend as I was dropping a pant size every couple weeks at first.

A lot of people are put off as they feel others treat them differently as they lose weight and it becomes a mental barrier for them. For me, I completely understood because I was treating myself differently. I wasn't the same as I was before. My normal just isn't the same as it was before, but it's better. My quality of life has improved so much since June. I run now. Not like just a little. I run 3-4 times a week. Miles at a time. Before I could barely walk .3 of a mile. My confidence is through the roof and I actually like buying new clothes. I can go out and do things I was afraid to do before. So of course the people around me are treating me differently. I am different.

Will you ever feel like the normal you felt before? Probably not, but if you're like me your normal from before felt pretty bad. The new normal will be worth every second of discomfort and struggle.

P.S. If your surgeons office offers support groups. Do it.

P.S.S Take lots of pictures, you'll regret not having them later as you reach the big milestones.

So glad I did it. Sure there have been odd times when I’ve thought oh if I hadn’t had the surgery I could ... but then I think if I hadn’t had the surgery I’d still be obese.

I was fortunate pre surgery in that I wasn’t diabetic, no high blood pressure, no sleep apnoea or other health issues related to my weight, however, I realise that was all probably ahead of me.

I‘ve had a few hiccups along the way but generally it has been pretty straight forward.

I had some reflux, a very acidic stomach & a lactose insensitivity (thanks to a parasite I picked up teaching in central Queensland). I was pretty successful managing these probs prior to surgery (avoided any food or drink which would aggravate). Post surgery, I don’t think my stomach is anywhere near as acidic, dairy products don’t seem to bother me (the parasite can live in the lower stomach or upper intestines for ever so I wonder if it was removed with my stomach) & my reflux is about the same though I do still restrict my diet. I still get hiccups but no where near as extreme & gurgle a bit but ... shrug.

Regardless if you progress with the sleeve or change to bypass, in the long term you will be so glad you had the surgery.

My biggest regret is not having surgery sooner.

No regrets. 18 months out, secret sleever. Currently dealing with a 4lb regain, but now i have the control and tools to manage. (Up to 74kg from 72kg, still under my goal weight)

Stay on top of your weight, understand that surgery is a choice and a tool only, it doesnt stop you putting rubbish into your body. You are the only one who can do that. Plenty of idiots blending up mcdonalds to make it fit. Educate yourself and exercise.

The thing is, that this is massive though and if you want to change your life that means it all has to change after surgery and it has to be a life long change.

Hello. My surgery was 2/11 and I’ve been feeling so down since. Any advice? I feel like I made the wrong decision even though I know made the right one for my future.

1 hour ago, rosey1115 said:

Hello. My surgery was 2/11 and I’ve been feeling so down since. Any advice? I feel like I made the wrong decision even though I know made the right one for my future.

@Rosey115, I had my surgery (sleeve) on 2/10. I will tell you yesterday was the worst day I had since the surgery, and my friend who is a recovery room nurse said that is not uncommon.

However, if you are feeling pervasively sad, and it sounds like you are, I would hope you reach out to your surgeon's office for someone to talk to. Are you mourning food? Are you struggling with the all liquid diet (I can't imagine anyone doesn't struggle with this). Are you in a lot of physical pain? Do you not have support at home, either through family or friends? Are you having intrusive thoughts about things you used to enjoy, and are now worried you won't? I think that some or all of those thoughts are probably very, very common and normal, but if you are that down, you should get someone to talk to. This recovery is no joke, so you don't need it to be any harder.

If you are having thoughts of hopelessness, or hurting yourself, PLEASE reach out. At the risk of being intrusive, but I'll take intrusive, the National Suicide Prevention Hotline is: 1-800-273-8255.

You've made a decision that is life affirming and there are great and wonderful things ahead. Our lives will be more than sip, sip, sip, walk, walk, sip....Hang in there.

I don’t feel suicidal just upset. I think I have been mourning food. Also worried I’m not getting enough Protein. I wasn’t following completely but I’ve gotten in touch with my surgeons office and they helped put me on a better diet. I need to get passed these few weeks and I will be ok I’m sure. I just need to get over it ASAP. I’ve always had anxiety like post partum baby blues. Lasts for about a week. This also happened to me the last time I went cold turkey on a diet. I’m just in my head. Thank you for your advice! We can all do this together.

@lisafrommassachusetts I’m still leading this app lol also any help in getting through this phase?