Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pureed Stage Nightmare

So I started the pureed foods stage today and I swear everything went to hell. I've been experiencing pain and burning after eating and can't seem to figure out why. I'm following the instructions on how to puree and am not eating anything with chunks. I'm taking my time between bites and am using my SWLC's (surgical weight loss center) recommended recipes in addition to waiting 30 min. before and after I eat before drinking Water again. Is this normal? Is it because it's a new stage? I don't know. I just know today sucked big time.

I left a voicemail with the SWLC. Has anyone else ever experienced this with the pureed stage?

What exactly did you eat?

Chili is bad or pepper

I skipped the puree for the most part as it was literally ruining the tastes of foods. I did an extra week of full liquid and added in some thicker Soups. Softs things really start to open up but you will find out what type digestive hell you are in for. eggs are rough on a lot of people for example.

I was told if that happens, it means to go back a step. I think like @Brent701 I'd probably go back a step to thick liquids. I'd try things like kefir then thinned down yogurt (Greek, fat free plain) mixed with bananas and cream or strawberries and cream or peaches and cream Premier Protein. Very delicious, not as sweet, etc. But make it more of a runny kefir thickness yogurt Soup. Then maybe do blended cream of chicken using fat free Fairlife Milk. And try those for a few more days. We heal only as quickly as we heal and it sounds like you have a lot of inflammation going on.

Water and hydration are KING! Even over Protein. Staying well-hydrated is the key to diet progression IMHO. Cuz it makes the inflammation go down and makes food slide through your new tool easier. ((hugs)) Let us know what the doc says!

TO early you body is saying F@#ck food - Slow down there is no set time line - Do liquid and very very slow pureed,

Pureed does not mean take a apple pie and Nutra bullet it, Use very light foods and go at it slowly,

Early out there is still a lot of inflammation and you might have to take food stages a bit slower. Also you fill a little faster than with liquid and it could be a bite too much food causing the burning, or it could be acid reflux. Just take it very very slowly. Keep a chart to see if it is a particular food combo or time of day. And if burning persists get the doc to prescribe a PPI.

4 hours ago, Brent701 said:

I skipped the puree for the most part as it was literally ruining the tastes of foods. I did an extra week of full liquid and added in some thicker Soups. Softs things really start to open up but you will find out what type digestive hell you are in for. eggs are rough on a lot of people for example.

I skipped puree stage and just continued with full liquids during this time as well (2 extra weeks worth). Not so much because of intolerance, but because the "ewwww" factor. I had purreed some beef, and I was like, um, NO THANKS.

Yes exactly what happened with me! Purree Crab? No thanks!

1 hour ago, drzrx said:

So how long were you on liquids total for those that took it slower? Thanks!

Here was what I did:

• 1 day clear fluids
  • 1 week full fluids
  • 2 weeks pureed ...did 2 more weeks of full fluids instead
  • 1 week minced food
  • 3 weeks soft food
  • Cleared for everything, as tolerated

2 hours ago, ms.sss said:

Here was what I did:

• 1 day clear fluids
  • 1 week full fluids
  • 2 weeks pureed ...did 2 more weeks of full fluids instead
  • 1 week minced food
  • 3 weeks soft food
  • Cleared for everything, as tolerated

The nutritionist at the SWLC did it a little different:

-Three days Clear Liquids

-One week and three days full liquids

-One month pureed foods

-One month soft foods, then cleared for everything as tolerated

9 hours ago, Sosewsue61 said:

Early out there is still a lot of inflammation and you might have to take food stages a bit slower. Also you fill a little faster than with liquid and it could be a bite too much food causing the burning, or it could be acid reflux. Just take it very very slowly. Keep a chart to see if it is a particular food combo or time of day. And if burning persists get the doc to prescribe a PPI.

Today I altered some of the recipes and was able to tolerate them. The foods I had yesterday had some pepper in them, so it looks like that could've been the culprit.

10 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

I was told if that happens, it means to go back a step. I think like @Brent701 I'd probably go back a step to thick liquids. I'd try things like kefir then thinned down yogurt (Greek, fat free plain) mixed with bananas and cream or strawberries and cream or peaches and cream Premier Protein. Very delicious, not as sweet, etc. But make it more of a runny kefir thickness yogurt Soup. Then maybe do blended cream of chicken using fat free Fairlife Milk. And try those for a few more days. We heal only as quickly as we heal and it sounds like you have a lot of inflammation going on.

Water and hydration are KING! Even over Protein. Staying well-hydrated is the key to diet progression IMHO. Cuz it makes the inflammation go down and makes food slide through your new tool easier. ((hugs)) Let us know what the doc says!

Hi! I haven't heard back from the doctor yet. I altered my pureed recipes today and that seemed to do the trick. At this point, the only frustration I'm having now is I'm not really losing any weight yet. I managed to lose some the first week and a half but now it seems I'm stuck. I hadn't weighed myself since last Thursday at my first post-op follow-up. Today I did and I'm very sad to see only 1 pound gone.

18 hours ago, Superman84 said:

What exactly did you eat?

Chili is bad or pepper

You were right. I took out the pepper and nothing bothered me today. Thanks!