Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to do When You Can't Eat

Hi All,

I am 25, and will be getting my sleeve in a month. What I am most worried about is my mental state afterward, and finding things to do when I can't eat. What are some new things that you have tried since your surgery?

Pilates and running up large credit card bills buying cute smaller clothes. :)

When you can drink Protein Drinks and have popsicles, soft food will come soon. Before you know it, you'll probably be able to eat a lot of the things you like, just in different preparations and smaller portions. Your taste for unhealthy food may change too.

I am 10 days Post-OP from a sleeve and I have little hunger. I am more thirsty than hungry most days. I do have some head hunger, but nothing like before surgery.

You have to find other sources of pleasure. Just make sure they are healthy ones. There seems to be a point where people become a bit impulsive after WLS. Maybe it has to do with more energy, feelings of empowerment, feeling more comfortable in social settings, gaining control back, I don't know. Some go on shopping binges, some start bad habits like gambling or drinking, or even using drugs. I have felt this, too. I really have to watch my shopping, and I have never been a shopper - never. I try to exercise, even if it is only a 10 minute walk, when I feel stressed, anxious, or upset. That's all it takes to get my brain in a better place. I have also read more books this year than every before - mostly on health, diet, exercise, and lifestyle. You will still have the emotions - you just have to redirect the behavior so that you aren't trying to eat yourself to a better place. We all know how well that works!

Edited by AZhiker

some people knit, do jigsaw puzzles, go to the gym, color in adult coloring books. Anything to keep your hands busy. I Just try to stay out of the house. I'm not a stress eater, but i'm a "bored eater". If I'm sitting around the house, I'll be in the refrigerator. It's key for me to leave the house - or find something to keep my hands busy if I can't. I also drink fluids a lot - tea, coffee, Water, Crystal Light - whatever. That helps sometimes, too.

11 hours ago, kg2519 said:

Yea, I guess I will feel more open to trying new things. @JessLess was 9/23/19 your surgery date?

10/15/18! Good luck.

10 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

Some people knit, do jigsaw puzzles, go to the gym, color in adult coloring books. Anything to keep your hands busy. I Just try to stay out of the house. I'm not a stress eater, but i'm a "bored eater". If I'm sitting around the house, I'll be in the refrigerator. It's key for me to leave the house - or find something to keep my hands busy if I can't. I also drink fluids a lot - tea, coffee, Water, Crystal Light - whatever. That helps sometimes, too.

^^^^This!! Great advice!!! I did all of this! :D Still do! Oh and log in and participate often on BP!!!

I bought a Dog! and Travel to remote places. My view is you have Pre OP head games already started, Do not panic it will be the best decision you make, Start focusing on the good things that will come from it, I cross fit and stay busy so do not worry you will find something to do. You can always find a partner and keep buys with them.

My temptations come when other people are eating, particularly my husband's evening eating during movie time - so beware if you are going out with a group.

I craft all the time - sewing, crochet, beading. I do love shopping for clothes now or even just trying stuff on is really fun. I also dance - folk dancing. You might look up a community dance program when you are up for activity, Google Contra dancing - they are very open to newcomers. Take up golfing or tennis or join a community baseball team.

I live alone so I don't have anything but prepared meals in my fridge. No Snacks are available in my home.

I have very little control over snacks if they are available.

If I want a snack I have to make an effort. I usually don't feel like going out to get snacks.

I drink a lot of Water and sugar free drinks if I feel genuinely hungry. That usually does it for me.

I too am a bored eater. I am trying to address this by starting a hobby.

19 hours ago, kg2519 said:

Hi All,

I am 25, and will be getting my sleeve in a month. What I am most worried about is my mental state afterward, and finding things to do when I can't eat. What are some new things that you have tried since your surgery?

Hydrating

Good Luck 💚

I picked up painting because it's super cheap and after six months I am still terrible at it. Read a lot of good books. Did some writing of my own. Thrift store shopping to buy smaller clothes cheap. I also picked up running and keep myself going by scheduling lot's of 5K's at steady intervals.

Meal times are great for conversations. Seriously buy smaller plates, I picked up small ones at target for like .98 each. Little black square plates. It helps with Portion Control. Eat slow. Enjoy what you have knowing your only going to have a few bites and spend the rest of the time enjoying the company of others. Get used to politely refusing food. It's such a custom in our social society that people will continuously offer. It's not intentional and they don't mean anything by it. It's just ingrained habit. Servers at restaurants will question you a lot, they will be concerned you didn't like it. Try to be patient.

I completed the couch to 5k run programme and worked my way up to running 5days a week and completing a lot of races. I also mountainbike. I clean and garden and work.

I really enjoy cooking healthy food for other people.