Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two silly questions re: protein and lower starting weight

I have two questions that are admittedly silly.

Background: Had a RNY on 12/20/19. SW was 205, CW is 185, stalled for 2 weeks at 185. (I'm female, 46 yo).

• 1. How much Protein should I be eating daily? I've asked my NUT this question, and she says I should be "doing my best" to get in protein, but that they don't give out goal numbers. How am I supposed to know what the number I should be reaching, if they won't tell me? I then asked my surgeon, and he advised me to speak with my NUT. This seems ridiculously silly, so I'll ask you all: How much protein should I be eating daily? I exercise moderately 3x/week and have a sedentary job, if that helps at all.
  • 2. When I visited with my surgeon for my four-week checkup, he said, "You've lost pretty much all the weight you're going to lose due to the RNY. Everything you lose from this point on will have to be through exercise." OK, that sounded really strange to me. I was four weeks out at the time. RNY is a tool, which I'm working, but just because I started with a relatively low weight, it doesn't mean that there's no weight loss, right? Because that's just crazy. I track calories religiously, and I'm averaging 500 cals per day, about 50 grams of protein. I'll lose some weight just because the calorie deficit, I would think. I'll be honest, I wouldn't even be checking with everyone, but I've been in the three-week stall for two solid weeks now, it is making me a bit crazy. I'm ok with a stall, I'm not ok with this being the end of weight loss.

In writing this out, I think I feel better about getting medical advice from random people on the Interwebs, instead of my surgeon's office. Sigh.

Edited by CheerfulLoser
typo

Up your Protein to 75-90 and find a new nutritionist.

You should be getting a minimum of 60 grams of Protein your surgeon sounds like a quack! Why would he even do an rny if your only hope was to lose 20 pounds?
you are just in a stall. Increase your protein, continue on your plan and it will break.

hang in there!

Here re the guidelines for females that were given by my surgeon:

60" tall (5 feet) - 50-60 gm per day

65" tall (5 ft 5 in) - 60-65 gm per day

70" tall (5 ft 8 in) - 65-70 gm per day

Of course you are still going to keep losing weight! You haven't even completely healed from the surgery yet! You will most likely lose most of your weight in the first 6 months. Just hang in there. Keep your liquids up, get at least 7 hours of sleep a night, and start building an exercise program that you enjoy.

most of us are told to get 60-80 grams or Protein a day.

he may be telling you that because 180-ish is probably about an average low weight for a bariatric patient, but there are lots of us who have pushed through to a normal BMI. Just keep following your plan, logging your intake, and exercising. It's really up to you how low you want to go.

and yes - you're most likely in a stall. My first one lasted two weeks - and I know someone who's first one last 3.5 weeks (although that's a bit unusual). Mine also tended to last longer the closer I got to my goal weight.

3 hours ago, Losingit2018 said:

You should be getting a minimum of 60 grams of Protein your surgeon sounds like a quack! Why would he even do an rny if your only hope was to lose 20 pounds?
you are just in a stall. Increase your Protein, continue on your plan and it will break.

hang in there!

Oh my stars, this is exactly what i thought! I agree, it's time to amp up the protein, one way or another.

3 hours ago, AZhiker said:

Here re the guidelines for females that were given by my surgeon:

60" tall (5 feet) - 50-60 gm per day

65" tall (5 ft 5 in) - 60-65 gm per day

70" tall (5 ft 8 in) - 65-70 gm per day

Of course you are still going to keep losing weight! You haven't even completely healed from the surgery yet! You will most likely lose most of your weight in the first 6 months. Just hang in there. Keep your liquids up, get at least 7 hours of sleep a night, and start building an exercise program that you enjoy.

AZhiker, thanks so much for this recommendation. It looks like I need ~10-15 more grams of protein per day. Also, I wanted to thank you for some of your posts on exercise. I've found them really inspiring. I've started lifting a few days per week, and I'm adding in some yoga. Once I get stronger (and hopefully restart the weight loss), I'm going to start running again. I really can't wait!

53 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

most of us are told to get 60-80 grams or Protein a day.

he may be telling you that because 180-ish is probably about an average low weight for a bariatric patient, but there are lots of us who have pushed through to a normal BMI. Just keep following your plan, logging your intake, and exercising. It's really up to you how low you want to go.

and yes - you're most likely in a stall. My first one lasted two weeks - and I know someone who's first one last 3.5 weeks (although that's a bit unusual). Mine also tended to last longer the closer I got to my goal weight.

Thanks so much for this bit of potential context. I was just so flummoxed when he said it -- I really should have asked a follow up question, but my mind just sorta went into a "what the heck!?!?" space.

Thanks, folks, for the sanity check!

A lot depends on your height especially your goal weight but your Protein intake changes based on weight loss and activity. Baseline recommend protein would be 0.8 grams of protein per Kg of body weight which I believe is 0.36 grams per lb of body weight.

This would put you at around 67 grams of protein per day.

Stalls can be for several reasons. Protein (too much or to little) Calories (too much or too little’ , types of foods, or just a natural stall that will pass. My longest stall was two weeks as well but I can go even a week before losing. Slower now as I get closer to goal.

my starting weight was technically “low” at around 208lbs but I’m also only 5’ height and was 40.3 BMI. It seems strange for the surgeon to just outright say you are already done losing weight and need to exercise to lose more. To be honest besides metabolic disorders, one huge reason I had gastric bypass surgery was the fact I cannot exercise due to chronic illness.

In all reality exercise isn’t for weight loss. building muscle helps because muscle burns more calories than fat.

I guess just have patience, and set your own goal outside of what the surgeon expects of you.

I’m so frustrated in your behalf! Sorry you are not getting the necessary info from the ones who are supposedly know their stuff! Here’s what I learned:
RNY 70-90 grams of Protein daily
VSG 60-80 grams of Protein daily
64 oz of Water daily (more if can & exercising)
I’m suppose to be aiming for 600 calories daily (I’m about 3 weeks post-op).
You are not done losing!!! You’ve got this & I’m glad you found this site!