Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Building up for my first marathon

Hi everyone! Im a sleever who achieved goal weight 9 months post op. Im currently under goal but would like to loose another 10lbs.. but thats not the point of this post!

Love to hear from anyone who has ran a marathon, im aiming for a 4 hour goal time and currently running 5 days a week and increasing distance by 10%. No injuries yet (except my currently broken wrist from my downhill mountainbike hobby!). Im a plant based runner who is more or less a veggie. I do not eat processed foods - and by processed i mean food with anything on the label that is not an actual food. No ****. I live in New Zealand, so thankfully we eat very differently here and this has been easy.

Any tips from experienced runners very welcome. I have an excellent baseline of fitness as I've been running since 6 weeks post op and credit it with my success.

Edited by Lyndor

The only marathons I do are the ones that come on TV🤣

Seriously, good luck with your marathon! I ran in my younger days before my feet and knees went bad. The longest race I did was a half-marathon on a really hilly course and it really messed with my mind. So make sure your runs include hills!

Hooray for you! I’m five years post-RNY and ran my first marathon last June. I’m one-and-done with marathons and plan to stick with the half distance going forward. Sounds like you’re doing great!

I am coming up on my first year post op date, and have completed a sprint triathlon and a 52 mile bike race. Am currently training for my second tri and a rim-to-rim (in one day - 24 miles) Grand Canyon hike. I am also going to try a 100 mile bike race at the end of year. I am also whole food plant based and I am loving it. I have so much energy and I NEVER get sore, even after long workouts. (I am not allowed to run, as I've had a knee replacement and my ortho wants it to last as long as possible, so distance biking and hiking are my sports of choice.) Anyway, I am totally sold now on plant based, whole food eating. No processed foods of any kind allowed. I just made up a batch of granola for the week, and will be having some lentil/potato/tempeh stuffed peppers for dinner, with sweet potato and fresh broccoli from my organic garden. So yummy!!!!!

It is so good to hear from other WLS patients who are doing endurance sports as part of their new lives!

Edited by AZhiker

1 hour ago, AZhiker said:

lentil/potato/tempeh stuffed peppers

Recipe, please?

I am trying to make stuffed peppers out of quinoa and Quorn crumbles. Tastes OK but falls apart once it's out of the peppers....

Edited by JRT Mom