Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have the sleeve. I had great success with it. However, I was having significant acid reflux. I went to my surgeon (I let it slide for a long time) Now I am being told that my acid is so bad that I am around 6mo out from cancer..... Barrett's esophagus. I'm really afraid of the bypass. I never wanted it. But she said if I don't get it, I am on the road to cancer. I have three lesions in my esophagus and I am inflamed. The example of the color of my esophagus was.... Healthy, the pink part of a nail bed....Me....USC MAROON. Also, after my endoscopy, my surgeon put me in to operate. That was a week before I spoke to her in person. She said it was better to book surgery and have me opt out. I'm scared. I know I need it. I wake up with my throat on fire, vomiting. Please, can someone help me make peace with the gastric bypass??

Sent from my moto e5 supra using BariatricPal mobile app

there are slightly more potential complications with the bypass, but complications on either surgery aren't common, and most are minor and easily "fixable". Many of us have never had any complications at all. It was the gold standard for a long time, and there's a ton of long-term research on it. Surgical techniques have improved greatly over the years, so problems they used to have years ago rarely occur anymore. As long as you're diligent about your Vitamins (even moreso than with the sleeve), you'll likely be fine. A lot of people are afraid of it because they move your small intestine - but cutting out 80% of your stomach and throwing it in the trash is pretty radical, too. Since you have acid reflux, I would definitely go for it. Uncontrolled, severe reflux can be VERY dangerous. You're likely dealing with a more dangerous complication now than you would by getting a bypass.

I just revised from sleeve to bypass 8 weeks ago. Like you I was afraid if the. Bypass. I got the sleeve early 2018 ended up with large hernia and gerd.
now that I have the bypass, I am very happy with it. As long as you keep up with having bloodwork checked, take your Vitamins and eat healthy, there is nothing to fear from the bypass.
you have to do this or deal with cancer. There is no other option.
Please make peace with it so that you can get healthy. You will be glad that you did it I once it is behind you. My only regret is that I did not start out with bypass and avoid having surgery twice.
hang in there and come here for support. Please keep us updated as well. You got this.

Wow, that's horrible about the cancer scare. I'm so sorry to hear it. I think you'll likely have a lot of success with the bypass because you did with the sleeve.

Sorry you are going through this! Cancer is scary larry! :( ((hugs)) You won't regret doing the conversion. It is more complicated, but I hope you will feel immediate relief from the reflux and GERD!

7 hours ago, Christina.Rose said:

I'm really afraid of the bypass. I never wanted it. But she said if I don't get it, I am on the road to cancer.

Sorry for the rough news but honestly the greater fear may be Cancer...

Returning GERD or the sudden onset of GERD is a known risk of VSG. This revision surgery is about preventing a malicious disease from developing and improving your quality of life.

Good Luck 💚

Edited by GreenTealael

My wife's grandfather died from esophageal cancer and it was heartbreaking. Get the bypass. It's much, much better than cancer. I won't do VSG after hearing the GERD horror stories and bypass has been done for decades now. It's plenty safe, much more so than a cancer diagnosis. Plus I'm sure it will make you feel better immediately! That has to be worth something too!

I agree that the bypass sounds scary, but to me it's not as scary as having 80% of your stomach removed! It's theoretically reversible, and the mortality data for both the sleeve and bypass are comparable. But the risks and mortality of cancer is much higher, so I wouldn't hesitate to revise. It'll likely save your life!

Having any op is scary but when you have an experienced surgeon it shouldn’t be something you need to fear. Living with a bypass is fine. I feel like a perfectly normal person except I eat smaller portions and I’m now officially skinny! To me a bypass was far less scary than a sleeve and you already had that. You need to do everything you can to avoid cancer.

I developed Barretts esophagitis from my reflux, including a lovely precancerous Barrett's polyp. Gastric bypass was my only option for WLS. Guess what?!?!?!?! My Barrett's is now gone! No more reflux, no more polyps, and my esophagus is normal. :) So glad I had the bypass surgery.

I had the RNY bypass and its the best choice I ever made and I've not suffered from any kind of complications at all 3 months post op today 66lbs gone :) since surgery 132lbs overall

I definitely still feel restriction and have very little cravings and healthier than I've been in 20 years 😀

I developed Barretts esophagitis from my reflux, including a lovely precancerous Barrett's polyp. Gastric bypass was my only option for WLS. Guess what?!?!?!?! My Barrett's is now gone! No more reflux, no more polyps, and my esophagus is normal. [emoji4] So glad I had the bypass surgery.
Barrett's esophagus is what my doctor said would likely happen without intervention! And then, of course, cancer....I really hoped I could hang on to my tiny banana stomach. But, here I am. Not happy. Afraid of all of the reasons I never wanted a bypass. However, my doctor, Monali Misra, is such a wonderful person. I truly trust her with my life. If she says she's not comfortable with revising my sleeve, I am confident. I have to make alot of changes.

Well bypass stomach is better smaller :)

If it's any consolation, gastric bypass surgery has been around for a long time, with a lot of success. You will always find someone with a complication - to either surgery, actually. If reflux and the possibility of Barretts/cancer is an issue, please don't be afraid to take the GB plunge. There are advantages and disadvantages to both surgeries. The sleeve is not a "minor" surgery, nor is it without risk or complications. If you choose to go ahead with GB, you need to reframe your thinking to a positive mindset, focusing on all the advantages GB will give you, most importantly the decreased risk of esophageal cancer.

On 1/22/2020 at 11:09 PM, Christina.Rose said:

I have the sleeve. I had great success with it. However, I was having significant acid reflux. I went to my surgeon (I let it slide for a long time) Now I am being told that my acid is so bad that I am around 6mo out from cancer..... Barrett's esophagus. I'm really afraid of the bypass. I never wanted it. But she said if I don't get it, I am on the road to cancer. I have three lesions in my esophagus and I am inflamed. The example of the color of my esophagus was.... Healthy, the pink part of a nail bed....Me....USC MAROON. Also, after my endoscopy, my surgeon put me in to operate. That was a week before I spoke to her in person. She said it was better to book surgery and have me opt out. I'm scared. I know I need it. I wake up with my throat on fire, vomiting. Please, can someone help me make peace with the gastric bypass??

I just met with my surgeon, Dr. Quilici last Monday (1/27/20). I wanted to do the sleeve but I have really bad GERD and have a hiatal hernia. He said he recommends the bypass because of my condition. I was in tears when I left. I also didn't want to do bypass but after researching, I know that it is the best option for someone like me. I feel you. The surgeon said the bypass will help my hernia and GERD, practically curing it. My surgery will be towards late March.