Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Previous abdominal reconstruction before RNY

My RNY surgery is Monday and I'm starting to freak out. My surgeon is one of the best and I'm relatively healthy otherwise so I have no real reason to worry.

I had an abdominalplasty (tummy tuck) to remove skin and fix diastasis rectis (separation of ab muscles) five years ago. I've also had multiple orthopedic surgeries (hockey) and my gall bladder removed so it's not the pain I'm worried about, pain I got lol. But because of the previous abdominal surgery I'm worried there will be too much scar tissue inside and not enough skin to "blow up my stomach cavity" and will have to have an open surgery, which is such a longer harder recovery.

I guess I'm curious if anyone else has been in a similar situation? It seems everyone's recovery is so varied - some people are miserable and some are fine in days. I work from home in publishing and research so planned to work a few days after surgery (deadlines wait for no man lol).

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Hi, I didn’t even think about this but I had RNY surgery 12/30/19 And have had multiple abdominal surgeries (exploratory due to cyst/ Fallopian tube issue, abdomoplasty, gall bladder, and a scope to cut scar tissue that was pulling on my ovary and intestines). My surgery went great and they actually found a Hiatal hernia and fixed that, too. I’m pretty good with pain but admit the first two days were rough. I discovered the fentanyl was making me feel ill and switched to oral oxy and was sooo much better. 3 days post surgery I was taking my kids (adopted g-daughters) to school and taking Tylenol for pain although I had two sore/tired days in week 2. I’ve been working from home 4+ hours a day and caring for pets and kids after the first couple of days. The hard part is no lifting so be careful as walking my big dog was painful when he pulled. I’m 3.5 weeks out and feel a bit weak/woozy when I push too hard but otherwise I feel great! Wishing you an easy surgery and recovery!

Hi, I didn’t even think about this but I had RNY surgery 12/30/19 And have had multiple abdominal surgeries (exploratory due to cyst/ Fallopian tube issue, abdomoplasty, gall bladder, and a scope to cut scar tissue that was pulling on my ovary and intestines). My surgery went great and they actually found a Hiatal hernia and fixed that, too. I’m pretty good with pain but admit the first two days were rough. I discovered the fentanyl was making me feel ill and switched to oral oxy and was sooo much better. 3 days post surgery I was taking my kids (adopted g-daughters) to school and taking Tylenol for pain although I had two sore/tired days in week 2. I’ve been working from home 4+ hours a day and caring for pets and kids after the first couple of days. The hard part is no lifting so be careful as walking my big dog was painful when he pulled. I’m 3.5 weeks out and feel a bit weak/woozy when I push too hard but otherwise I feel great! Wishing you an easy surgery and recovery!

Thanks for sharing! I appreciate it !

Hi

All the best with your surgery on Monday, i am certain things will go well.

I am 8 days post op RNY and hiatus hernia repair.

Previously, i had a band and removed, gastric sleeve and a fleur de lis abdominoplasty with muscle repair..I too was worried about adhesions after multiple entries. I was kind of hoping for an open surgery as I didnt want the gas pain after. This is by far the worst one yet as like you, my stomach is flat and not much room for gas. Boy O boy i am feeling it. I am so bloated and rock hard. My upper stomach is so round and stretched out I hate this tight feeling. The swelling is worse than any other surgery including the fleur de lis. Wherever there is loose skin (upper thighs) are just full of swollen goodness..

I hope this is just part of the recovery, if anyone else has experienced this please feel free to reassure me.

Good luck on Monday

Hi
All the best with your surgery on Monday, i am certain things will go well.
I am 8 days post op RNY and hiatus hernia repair.
Previously, i had a band and removed, gastric sleeve and a fleur de lis Abdominoplasty with muscle repair..I too was worried about adhesions after multiple entries. I was kind of hoping for an open surgery as I didnt want the gas pain after. This is by far the worst one yet as like you, my stomach is flat and not much room for gas. Boy O boy i am feeling it. I am so bloated and rock hard. My upper stomach is so round and stretched out I hate this tight feeling. The swelling is worse than any other surgery including the fleur de lis. Wherever there is loose skin (upper thighs) are just full of swollen goodness..
I hope this is just part of the recovery, if anyone else has experienced this please feel free to reassure me.
Good luck on Monday

Ugh I hope you feel better soon! Did they give you an ab binder to help? People swear by them. I am packing my old one from the Tummy Tuck in my bag just in case they don't give me one.

No binder, i didnt think about it to be honest.

Thinking about it, the last thing i would want to do is put additional pressure on that area as it is our internal organs this time and not 'superficial' like muscle and skin with the abdominoplasty. Please keep me updated post op, if you have that swelling /bloating (mine started about day 3) and will let you know if/when subsides.

Good luck 😁

No binder, i didnt think about it to be honest.
Thinking about it, the last thing i would want to do is put additional pressure on that area as it is our internal organs this time and not 'superficial' like muscle and skin with the Abdominoplasty. Please keep me updated post op, if you have that swelling /bloating (mine started about day 3) and will let you know if/when subsides.
Good luck [emoji16]

Makes sense! I hope you feel better soon!