Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can we blend tripe?

Hello everyone my name is Raquel I had gastric sleeve surgery two weeks ago I got through the first stage

the liquid diet now I am in the second stage the puree food, is it okay to eat tripe Soup I mean blended. Please confirm or please help with suggestion on other puree food.

thank you,

Ok since i am Culinary skilled by gut feeling is saying NO - For one main reason Stomach of Animals is high in fat which will most likely tear you up so early, also that is a thick heavy meat 0

However you could pressure cook Ox Tail and then blend it up.

Fluffy This is a very common meat outside of the USA

I agree with FluffyChix. When I saw the original post all I could think was, "who would want to?".🤢

I have been thinking about menudo too and how will be able to eat it again. I agree with Aj Tylo this is one food you should hold off on and revisit down the line.

NO STOMACHS of any animals till you can eat rubber full textured food! - Plus the calories in it are high but so is the Protein - However Fluffy land JRT mom Devore Lamb Fries - So guess that is ok to eat

2 hours ago, maggie78 said:

I have been thinking about menudo too and how will be able to eat it again. I agree with Aj Tylo this is one food you should hold off on and revisit down the line.

7 Wks today and was going to try some menudo this week. 2-4 weeks is to soon.

3 hours ago, JRT Mom said:

I agree with FluffyChix. When I saw the original post all I could think was, "who would want to?".🤢

Its good. :)

Is tripe even a food?

2 minutes ago, elcee said:

Is tripe even a food?

Yes. Mostly Mexican food. I like it in menudo .

I love Mexican food, but Beans, rice, enchiladas, chiles rellenos, that sort of stuff. Not the innards of some animal...

I was just thinking of menudo, has anyone successfully had some? If so, how long did you wait and were you able to eat it normally with lime and all?

38 minutes ago, Ready2slimdown said:

I was just thinking of menudo, has anyone successfully had some? If so, how long did you wait and were you able to eat it normally with lime and all?

pureed it at 3.5wks. not to bad. :)

image.png.be931bdd8719609a11181debbd4fa308.png

I actually find all the reaction pretty funny. Don't get me wrong, I personally cannot handle tripe, the texture literally causes a gag relflex. My mother in law chuckles every time she talks me into trying it again.

However, if you really think about it, every country has delicacies, comfort foods, or Snacks that the other countries consider repugnant. Caviar? Who in their right mind would ever look at that and actually want to eat it? Foie gras? Sick SOB's to eat that morally or based on flavor. Fried chicken livers? (I personally love them!) Gross!

Tripe and a lot of the so called sweatbreads (internal organs) were long considered peasant foods. Now they are considered trendy. Tripe is a source of complete Protein and is low in fat. While I find the idea of eating or drinkings a puree of it, nutritionally it sounds like a winner. By this time (3 weeks post op according @Raquel M. info) it should be fine. But of course, the last word must come from her surgeon.