Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am scheduled for my mini gastric bypass on Feb. 10th. Started the 3 week liquid diet yesterday. (3 specific Meal Replacement drinks and up to 250 cake of specific veggies). I think it will be doable, but man I am hungry.

Anyhow, the main question I have: how long until you returned to work afterwards? My surgeon said I’d need 7-10 days off and can then go back if I’m feeling well enough. I had my gall bladder out a few years ago and they wouldn’t clear me to return for 10 days, and I felt well enough to go back after 3. How long were you guys off work? Was the recovery easy? Is jumping back into work after 7-10 days reasonable? Just for reference, I teach kindergarten. It can be tiring at times, but I love it. I just want to make sure I have realistic expectations.

I don’t work but can tell you one of the things that would have held me back was exhaustion. I am 8 weeks out from full bypass and still don’t have my energy back. Everyone is different though so you may be just fine at 7-10 days.
once you move on to soft foods it will get easier. The liquid stage is just an energy zapper.

I feel sure that others will chime in soon.

10 days is pushing it. Your body has been through major surgery. You are barley eating at 10 days. Take it slow and easy & take off as much time as your employer allows.

Just save up now and take unpaid leave for the 3 weeks

I took three weeks off but could have gone back after two. Recovery wasn't bad - after the first couple of days, I was mostly just tired. It took several weeks before all my energy was back. But I definitely could have worked my desk job after the first two weeks.

i had the sleeve on a Thurs and was back to work by Monday... I do have an office job.. walking around was slow.. but when you sit all day.. at a computer is different than if you have to be up and around.

I had gastric sleeve I was back at my desk job in 4 days. I was just sitting pretty much all day. If it was something more strenuous I would have waited till pureed foods at 2 weeks. Just because I tried easily that first week.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, Winchell said:

I had gastric sleeve I was back at my desk job in 4 days. I was just sitting pretty much all day. If it was something more strenuous I would have waited till pureed foods at 2 weeks. Just because I tried easily that first week.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

I have had similar experience. I had surgery 6 days ago and I am back at work this morning. BUT I work from home doing IT so it is not very strenuous.

I had a bypass and returned to work two weeks after surgery. It was a 10 hour shift and I was EXHAUSTED. Take as long as you can!

I was unfortunately out of work for 2 and a half months. I couldn't retain any Protein Drinks and I kept throwing up.

I have a sedentary job and took 2 weeks off, then worked from home the 3rd week. If I had a job that required being on my feet, I still wouldn't be back at work!

I completely underestimated the level of fatigue I would feel! For the first few weeks, I got by with lots of naps! I'm not taking naps now, but little things like going up a flight of stairs completely wears me out!

I would definitely take all 10 days so you can be prepared. However the other tip I would offer is to not start back on a Monday. So maybe if you go back on Thursday then you can push through those first few days and have a weekend to recover before going to work for an entire week straight. Also try to preplan if you usually carry something heavy from your car to your classroom to get a cart or have it already in your room etc. so you don't have to carry anything.

My doctor puts you out for 4-6 weeks