Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have trouble eating?

Good morning everyone,

I had my sleeve December 2, 2019 (8 weeks) and have had tremendous success so far. Here is the thing...I really have trouble eating/wanting to eat. Has anyone experienced this? I have this aversion to chewing in general and am swinging between stage 2 and 3. I know everyone is different, but there are times when I am chewing and I have this feeling like 'okay swallow that and it is coming back up.' I have had intermittent problems with keeping foods down, but have found a happy medium with the softest foods possible. No matter how soft i make the chicken - and I am talking slow cooked dark meat - I cant eat it. The only thing I can eat is ground meat, like meatloaf. I am sick of the pureed Soups and I am struggling to find agreeable foods. Any suggestions would be helpful.

I have my second post-op appointment tomorrow and surprisingly, I have already lost over 60 lbs and gone down 3 pants sizes. That is great and all but the body needs fuel. I rely on Protein Shakes to meet my Protein quota. Before surgery I could guzzle Water and now I am struggling to meet my daily goals. I think I average about 32 oz.

The irony is I want to eat EVERYTHING, you know the total see-food diet. I am not hungry but I am struggling with the loss of the ability to eat anything and everything. I feel a sense of grief and honestly, I know I want the magic pill that makes me skinny and able to eat whatever. I have a therapist and psychologist to deal with the underlying issues. Its just the day to day is the worse.

My diet right now is protein shakes, yogurt, tuna (a little), low fat cheddar cheese, meat loaf, creamed soups, mashed potatoes (sometimes), and when desperation strikes spaghettios (and yes they are as gross as they sound). I eat those when days have passed and I cant meet my real food requirements. There is no chewing and 2-3 oz and I'm full, so gross, unhealthy, but sort of perfect.

I used to love scrambled eggs and now I cannot stand the taste. I can manage boiled eggs and today I am going to try egg salad again. I do not eat any breads, pastas (besides the canned fake stuff), rice, or crackers. I want to plan my meals but I never know what to plan because I smell food and it makes me gag. I know my sleeve is small because I get that feeling like it never really left my esophagus.

Any tips and ideas are welcome!

E-

Right now I am expanding the different foods I can eat one food at a time. I eat .25 to .5 cups at a time. Currently trying out raw veggies like tomatoes and cucumbers. What about Ricota cheese, cottage cheese, laughing cow wedges, hummus? Deli ham? chicken hot dogs? Meatballs? Fish? tuna salad, chicken salad? Try different things to see what you can eat.....For a while I did not feel like eating but now I do. Not everything tastes like it did before.

Live the honeymoon phase as long as you can. You really don't need anything much more than the protien shakes for another couple months. Why rush eating unnecessary food. The average complaint on these boards is: I eat like a bird, and I am not losing any weight.

you are the exact opposite, and you should relish the concept. You've got years ahead of you to eat good stuff.

keep up the good work!

Yeah I'll be 3 months next week and still have shakes everyday with a little tuna it's definitely helped me lose weight pretty quickly :)

Hang in there! Right now your only goals should be getting your Water and Protein in. Keep striving towards those goals and the rest will improve with time. And remember... Protein Shakes do count toward water intake. As long as you are getting the protein shakes in, you are getting enough nutrition in to hold you until you are eating more healthy foods.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

BTW... At 6-8 weeks I lived on homemade chili and ricotta bake. I especially loved the chili. It had Protein from the meat and Beans, the broth helped the meat and beans go down. And I put a few veggies in (onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, and celery).... so I felt like I was getting a real meal in. And the flavor just made me happy. Avoid the canned pasta! Nothing nutritious in it. But if you find any food that does satisfy you, dont be afraid to make a big enough batch that you can eat it for days.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app