Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery is soon but I cannot stand the taste of protein shakes is there anything else I can drink to get proper protein?

I will most definitely do what I need to do when it comes to drinking the shakes in there isn’t any other alternative. Im going to abide by my instructions regardless of how something Taste......BUT......lolol......If there is something else that would give me the right amount of Protein without the Protein Shake taste please inform me......HL

8 minutes ago, HaroldL said:

I will most definitely do what I need to do when it comes to drinking the shakes in there isn’t any other alternative. Im going to abide by my instructions regardless of how something Taste......BUT......lolol......If there is something else that would give me the right amount of Protein without the Protein Shake taste please inform me......HL

there are so many brands of Protein Shakes out there that you may find one you can tolerate. I'd pick up some individual packets so you're not wasting a lot of money buying huge tubs of Protein Powder (which aren't cheap!)

a lot of people seem to like Fairlife products - it's a company that does some kind of magic with milk to increase the Protein content. But they also have some sort of shake-like thing out now. I haven't tried it, but several people on here have, I think - maybe one of them can chime in.

make you own out i do not like the pre made ones either -

Also i use Protein waters all day -

Is it the powder or the milk you do not like

I have recently discovered BariatricEating.com and they have amazing tasting Protein shakes!! The chocolate salted caramel is my favorite.

Also, you can get the "juice" type of protein powder drinks, too. I had Fuzzy Navel that I really liked. It is the Syntrax Nectar.

Try those out. I think you will like them.

Look into Isopure Zero Carb Protein Drinks. They are not thick and cloying like the shakes are, they are fruity and go down much easier. Plus one 20 oz bottle has 40 grams of Protein. No, I don't work for them--😁

Edited by JRT Mom

I have taken unflavored Protein powder and mixed it into pudding, Jello, broth, watered down oatmeal, etc. I have also tried some of the fruit flavored protein mixes and are great. I make them half strength using 16 oz rather than 8 as per directions. Good thing is that 16 oz counts toward my daily 64 oz and gives me 15 grams of protein.

My tastes changed after surgery and I couldn’t stand the taste of Premier Protein anymore. I tried a few others and now I love Iconic Protein. That’s been helping me get my protein levels back up. I also use GENEPRO unflavored protein powder and can mix that into anything.

Yeah tasted about 5 brands before I found one I love... I use my own powder with Water & shaker cup..tastes like chocolate milkshake :)

Syntrax Nectar chocolate truffle made with fairlife milk is what I use. If all else fails you could just drink fairlife milk. Add Sugar Free Chocolate Syrup to it or drink it plain.

The Bariatric Pal Store offers sample packs of the Syntrax nectar. Those are the best flavors that I have found to date.

Edited by Losingit2018

On 1/21/2020 at 4:07 PM, Megarooni said:

My tastes changed after surgery and I couldn’t stand the taste of Premier Protein anymore. I tried a few others and now I love Iconic Protein. That’s been helping me get my Protein levels back up. I also use GENEPRO unflavored Protein Powder and can mix that into anything.

I experienced the same thing. I loved Premier Protein shakes before surgery. After surgery, the only flavor that I can tolerate is the vanilla and even that makes me a little nauseous. I also like Premier Protein Water before surgery, and cannot stand it at all after surgery.

I agree with others... get some samples of different flavors to try both before and after surgery. Don't stock up on too much of anything before surgery. Just get enough to get you through the first 2 weeks maybe. I ended up giving away my stockpile of things I didn't like after surgery.

Also, in addition to normal whey protein that my nutritionist recommended... she suggested buying collogen protein powder. It is truly flavorless and can be added to anything. It mixes super well in hot liquids and on some foods. I have added it to Soups, oatmeal, and my green smoothies.

I also like the Iconic brand; they don't use aspartame or sucralose; they instead use stevia and Monk Fruit. You can buy a sample pack on Amazon. However, I am only 3 days post surgery and my tastes have changed; I still find the chocolate truffle and ginger with turmeric shakes more palatable than most, but I'm having a very, very hard time getting them down. I am on just Protein Shakes and Clear Liquids for another week, so I hope that gets a bit easier.

You can use Bone Broth, I like the Swanson chicken bone broth; it has some protein; about 9 g in 1 cup.

My surgeon gave me the option to take a Protein supplement if I couldn't handle the shakes. I'd always run things by your doctor, but that could be an alternate for you. I can't say how it changes, since I found a good Protein Shake that I liked.

On 1/21/2020 at 7:20 AM, HLsleeve said:

Apparently some people have been allowed to have plain greek yoghurt watered down. Check with your surgeon.

Edited by lisafrommassachusetts

Unjury chicken Soup flavor was a lifesaver for me. I put franks hot sauce in it. The Santa Fe chili flavor was a little too strong (flavor) for me after surgery but didn’t make me wretch the way Protein Shakes did.

Nature’s Best by Isopure is only 3gr sugar per scoop so it isn’t super sweet and doesn’t have the artificial sweetener taste. The vanilla makes
a fairly neutral base to add peanut
Powder or unsweetened cocoa for an even less sweet option.