Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Discouraged and need advice

Hello. I had a friend suggest this site to me. I'm 6 weeks out tomorrow and i have overall lost 11 lbs. From surgery til now.. The entire 6 weeks.. 11 lbs. The dr told me I was in the 1% that hasnt lost 20 lbs in the first 2 weeks. I follow the diet. I walk everywhere. I mostly eat just meats.. And vegetarian friendly alternatives. Last week my friend suggested i start measuring myself. I have lost 2 inches around the biggest part of my belly. But im not sure what to do anymore. I'm trying to keep on top of everything it just seems the more i try the less I lose. Does anyone out there have some much needed advice for me?

Did you lose a bunch of weight, pre-surgery?

Just stick with the diet, and as you can, increase your activity. Keep a log of all your food and bring it with when you see the nutritionist. From there, the nutritionist can evaluate your diet and let you know what changes need to be made (if any). Are you eating anything that makes you retain Water? Do any of your medications make it hard to lose weight? Do you need to use a CPAP (and wear it nightly if you do?)? But definitely track your measurements. I measure once a month. Even in my low weight loss months I am seeing ongoing changes in my body shape. And remember... you are TWENTY POUNDS DOWN! May not be what you hoped for, but it is progress!

11 minutes ago, momof3_angels said:

Just stick with the diet, and as you can, increase your activity. Keep a log of all your food and bring it with when you see the nutritionist. From there, the nutritionist can evaluate your diet and let you know what changes need to be made (if any). Are you eating anything that makes you retain Water? Do any of your medications make it hard to lose weight? Do you need to use a CPAP (and wear it nightly if you do?)? But definitely track your measurements. I measure once a month. Even in my low weight loss months I am seeing ongoing changes in my body shape. And remember... you are TWENTY POUNDS DOWN! May not be what you hoped for, but it is progress!

Thank you for the advice. I do see the nutritionist tomorrow.. And will try to remember to start a food diary. I have been drinking an excessive amount of Gatorade and Powerade. But was told that was good to help me stay hydrated. Maybe cut out that and switch with more Water. All really good ideas. Thank you for no judgement. And great suggestions

He's wrong or you misunderstood him. Ninety-nine percent of people do not lose 20 pounds in 2 weeks. Most likely you hit the 3 week plateau which slowed you down. Hang in there.

Edited by nevermore71

7 minutes ago, Seimmaj said:

Thank you for the advice. I do see the nutritionist tomorrow.. And will try to remember to start a food diary. I have been drinking an excessive amount of Gatorade and Powerade. But was told that was good to help me stay hydrated. Maybe cut out that and switch with more Water. All really good ideas. Thank you for no judgement. And great suggestions

Are you drinking regular gatorade/powerade? Or the "zero" verson? Definitely drink more water... but my nutritionist is OK with the "zero" versions of these and/or Vitamin Water. She does recommend putting crushed ice in them so it dilutes the drinks with actual water.

And definitely no judgement!

9 minutes ago, momof3_angels said:

Are you drinking regular gatorade/powerade? Or the "zero" verson? Definitely drink more water... but my nutritionist is OK with the "zero" versions of these and/or Vitamin Water. She does recommend putting crushed ice in them so it dilutes the drinks with actual Water.

And definitely no judgement!

I have been drinking the regular versions. I tried the zero versions.. However they are much too sweet for me.

I will discuss this too with the nutritionist tomorrow. And the crushed ice idea is great i will try that as well

28 minutes ago, Seimmaj said:

I have been drinking the regular versions. I tried the zero versions.. However they are much too sweet for me.

I will discuss this too with the nutritionist tomorrow. And the crushed ice idea is great i will try that as well

Regular sugar drinks are a definite no-no for me, and probably most of us. Definitely talk to the nutritionist and see was s/he says. I would say, at the very least... dilute them! It took me a few weeks to get used to the "zero" versions of these drinks. And they are definitely less "sweet" when you have the crushed ice start to melt in them.

Edited by momof3_angels

1 hour ago, Seimmaj said:

Waaaaay too much sugar in regular and sugar turns into fat...

Water them down or look for sugar free cordial

I think you have untentionally been consuming a lot more calories than you think you have...regular gatorade and Powerade do have a lot of calories and sugar in them. Two bottles of 600mls gatorade for instance has nearly 300cals and 66 grams of sugar. The sugar is probably playing havoc with your insulin levels too.

I think once you reduce the gatorade and powerade that you will find your weight loss will improve.

Edited by Hop_Scotch

8 hours ago, Seimmaj said:

There are some clues: 1) You haven't been keeping a food diary, and 2) you are drinking calories.

Logging your food is absolutely essential to knowing how much Protein and calories you are actually consuming. It will show you trends and allows you to make beneficial tweaks. Drinking your calories is a big no-no. You are taking in hundreds and hundreds of extra empty calories if you are hydrating with sports drinks. Switch to Water or herbal teas that taste good, and keep sipping to keep hydrated.

You need to fill in your profile with info like your starting weight, surgery date, type of surgery, etc. That will help others understand your situation better and can give more specific suggestions.

you may be walking too much Your body is healing and you are probably not consuming a whole lot of calories right now. That could also cause you to slow down.

DO not Panic - lets look at this as basic math -

6 divided by 11 is approx 2 pounds a week!

52 weeks in year times 2 pounds EQUALS 104 POUNDS A YEAR!

i do not think you could loose a hundred plus pounds the way you used to live Pre OP! Do not let the head demons get you, Stay on track and the math above does not lie! You got this - Plus when you can add some Gym time you will increase the math above!

Stay focused Stay Happy and Enjoy the journey!