Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Waiting for approval in GA

Good evening,
Hi everybody, I'm newbie here, currently waiting for revision approval. I'm a Lap Band failure case - Had it in for 11 years (actually loved it - it was a great tool), and got to goal weight after 18 months. I kept it off without much issue, until it eroded into my stomach, and pretty much almost killed me. This was the third issue that I had with the band. Two port infections, lead to port revisions, and one MRSA infection. It was finally removed in 2015, and sadly, now I'm back up to where I was before my banding.
I'm currently in my 5th month of 6 monitoring/counseling, for pre-op revision approval for bypass. Unfortunately, I've also since gained 6lbs. since I started that monitoring [during the holidays]. I know that I'm being a bit, "It's my last _______, and I want to enjoy it" .
I've followed every class, every appointment, and every health test, but still have not heard back about my "March" surgery date for bypass. I have one more nutrition appointment as required by BCBS, and one more evening 'STRIVE' support counseling meeting that must be done for revision surgeries as per my doctor's office.
I'm just panicked that I've been going through all of this, but have not heard anything regarding a yes or no at this point. I'm currently at a BMI of 39.4 with sleep apnea (on CPAP), severe heartburn, failed back fusion surgery, Lupus, Fibromyalgia, and am in LOTS of pain - 100% disabled since 1995, so Medicare is my primary with BCBS of GA secondary. Has anybody gone through the six month pre surgery hoops only to get turned down? I'm just so worried that it's going to be a no go decision.

I really appreciate that this page/group is here, and look forward to hearing from y'all!
Thanks 🙂

Hey! I’m in Georgia too... Near Augusta. My insurance required all that and I am finally having my surgery a week from today. During my 6 month observation I went up and down, finally ending up right where I started. I only really started losing weight after the first of the year. I went on Keto to lesson the effects of the Keto flu when on liquid diet- it worked!

As as far as your question- no I wasn’t turned down. But as my doctor explained it’s prob because they try to rush everybody through at the end of the year so they can leave for the holidays. This isn’t helpful to you in your situation, I know, but stick with it. Pray about it. And most of all, love yourself. You didn’t get here overnight.

Thanks for the reply - I'm in North Central Ga - near Athens. Great area! I'm a total Keto failure, but I think that a lot of that has to do with me being a vegetarian for 28 years. It's hard to be veggie keto when every model of the program is telling you to eat bacon, and Pork rinds for treats.
I still can't help but be worried. I am going to call tomorrow and see if there is any news or the like regarding my case. I honestly thought six months would drag by slowly, but It's almost February already - March will be here soon! Fingers crossed for the approval news!

Hi! I'm in the waiting stage as well. Luckily only 3 months here in TN, but I'm nervous something will come back and say, nope, you gotta wait more. I am a lapband failure - surgery in 2011, only lost around 40 pounds, but was able to keep it that way for years. I started having issues with reflux and weight gain, so they removed the band November 2019. Now just waiting on the new approval for RNY.

I'm in Georgia, right outside of Atlanta. It took me a year from consult to surgery, but that was mostly psychological versus diet. It took about two weeks for me to hear from Medicaid after the paperwork was submitted. I got the approval the Friday before surgery (which was on a Wednesday).

I totally forgot to update this post -- I'm scheduled for the 12th! Two weeks of liquids so far, with Clear Liquids only tomorrow. Thursday I'm to be at the hospital at 6AM for surgery at 7:30! I'm SOOO nervous!

1 minute ago, Greenfeather65 said:

Before & After Support

image-0.0010728836059570312.jpg

as much as I would love to attend, Warner Robins is well over two hours one way 😞 I'm very happy that my doctor's office also hosts support groups of many different types.