Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello! I am currently in my 5th week post gastric bypass. My question is when did you all eat a Protein Bar? What ones were you able to tolerate and taste good? I will
Be traveling to Europe around week 11 and I want to bring something that I know I can eat.

I keep a Premier Protein bar in my purse just for emergencies. They’re too high in carbs and calories to fit in my plan regularly.

I love Protein Bars for Breakfast, but I didn't start eating them until I was at least six months after surgery. As Kristie mentioned, they are too high in calories early in the process.

I think I had half of one about 2 months out. I’m now 5 months out and have only had them a couple times.

Yes, there are a lot on the market that are high fat, carbs &/or sugar so do your research & compare the nutrition value first then taste test. Same for Protein balls.

I started including a bar a couple of times a week as a snack once I hit maintenance. Sometimes I find them gluggy & I often only eat half a bar.

I agree, they are handy to have when travelling but so is throwing in some Protein Shake mixes. A friend did this while in Europe for a month recently. She bought a cheap shaker & tossed it on her last day.

I can't remember at what point I started having them. Maybe call your nutritionist or surgeon and ask if it's OK? I usually have one with me in case of "emergency" but don't eat them very often. They ARE very handy for traveling, though. I spent a month in India last fall and had one almost every day because the food there is mostly carb-heavy and low in Protein - so the bars kept my protein levels where they needed to be. As someone else said, packets of Protein Powder help, too - Syntrax, for example, sells individually-sized packets. So does Unjury. There are other companies who do as well. Very handy for traveling.

I also use them as a Meal Replacement when traveling sometimes. They have too many calories for a snack except for Quest Bars. They have 200 calories and after you eat half of one you feel like you ate a brick. They are free at my office so I have a half once in a while. My husband buys Clif Bars and Kind Bars which are good but have so many calories. A Clif bar is like 260.

Sorry, I don't remember when I started but Quest bars are really dense, and if you microwave them for 5 seconds they get soft. I think I tried them during soft foods.

I haven't found any that I can stomach. They all seem s heavy and thick to eat

I forgot to mention my favorites. My current favorites are Quest Hero bars (the Heroes are different from the regular Quest bars, but they taste more like candy bars to me, so they could be risky...) and Robert Irwin's Fit Crunch bars (but you need to find the snack size ones - 190 kcal. His meal replacement ones are over 300 kcal - too much for us)

3 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

I forgot to mention my favorites. My current favorites are Quest Hero bars (the Heroes are different from the regular Quest bars, but they taste more like candy bars to me, so they could be risky...) and Robert Irwin's Fit Crunch bars (but you need to find the snack size ones - 190 kcal. His Meal Replacement ones are over 300 kcal - too much for us)

Yesss! Quest heros are the best tasting!

At 6 weeks my nutritionist cleared me to have some. She recommended the Built Bars as they were lower in calories. I’m apparently sensitive to whey Protein now so they didn’t really stay in me but it was tasty in the beginning lol. I use RX bars now if I’m lower in calories for the day since they have a bit more.

My nutritionist recommended Unjury Protein bars. The ones in the bag are a smaller size and perfect when I need them. A lot of others I have tried are way too sweet and too big for me to finish. Started eating them occasionally after I advanced to a regular diet (minus carbs and fat)

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

36 minutes ago, momof3_angels said:

My nutritionist recommended Unjury Protein Bars. The ones in the bag are a smaller size and perfect when I need them. A lot of others I have tried are way too sweet and too big for me to finish. Started eating them occasionally after I advanced to a regular diet (minus carbs and fat)

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Oh yea... those are pretty good as well. I think they have a couple different flavors now. I git the little snack-sized ones. I think they were around 100 calories and 10 grams of Protein. They have standard-size ones, too