Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Breaking the 3 week stall!

I had surgery on 12/12/19 and I dropped 20lbs right away, then another 3 over the 3rd week. But I've been stalled for over a week and a half. I decided to stay consistent with my Protein, meet my Water goals and stay on top of my Vitamins. After a couple days of this, I dropped 3lbs over night!! I know it's a small victory but after having surgery being stalled so long is worrisome. Anyone else go through this?

pretty much everybody does. Not all, but a vast, vast majority.

Yay!!! Congrats. Doesn't it feel fabulous?!! Work the plan, the plan works for you!!! :)

I guess I'm more surprised I'm so close to my surgery date and and almost a 2 week stall seems a lot. Anyways, I am feeling good now to see the scale move. The first 20lbs just dropped like nothing. Hopefully i'll see that happen again lol. I know there will be stalls and a lot of people have them. I think it's the first one right after surgery that seems scary..like did I do this for nothing 🤣

I read a lot of threads that seemed to have a variation of stall somewhere between 2-6 weeks post op. We just completely changed the physiology of our body’s digestive system so our body is trying to avert crisis while rebooting to our new normal.

It can be really disheartening to not lose anything for a week or two right after surgery but stay diligent, drink the Water and get the Protein that you’re body needs to heal!

17 minutes ago, jlb8080 said:

I guess I'm more surprised I'm so close to my surgery date and and almost a 2 week stall seems a lot. Anyways, I am feeling good now to see the scale move. The first 20lbs just dropped like nothing. Hopefully i'll see that happen again lol. I know there will be stalls and a lot of people have them. I think it's the first one right after surgery that seems scary..like did I do this for nothing 🤣

it seems like the infamous "three-week stall" (doesn't always happen the third week, though - sometimes it's a little earlier or later) usually lasts a week or two. I know one woman whose first stall lasted 3.5 weeks. UGH! Mine lasted two weeks. Once the weight loss started up again during week four, I dropped like 6-8 lbs within a couple of days.

I'd never heard about the "three-week stall" in my pre-op classes so I absolutely freaked when the weight loss stopped during weeks 2 and 3 post-op. I thought I was going to be the first person on the planet whose weight loss surgery wouldn't work. Thank God for internet forums like this one - I found a gazillion postings on here about it. I've been volunteering with the pre-op classes for the last three years at my clinic. Trust me, I tell every group about the three week stall!

@catwoman7 It's def something good to know beforehand. I was stuck in the stall and researching it but it's not the same as knowing before. And then you still second guess the surgery. I think it's a lot of mental stuff in the beginning like you said. Everyone is like Oh what if i'm the only one it doesn't work for. And then wanting to rush through the weightloss just to get where you are eventually going to be. I hate being in limbo with stuff and this is one big limbo journey lol

Mine was at three weeks, also. It freaked me out, but I was still turning a ketostix purple so I know I was still burning fat even though the scale wasn't budging. I always say you shouldn't weigh daily, but when you get stuck like that you want to jump on the scale hoping "Is today the day the stall breaks?"

So if you can stand not knowing you are better off weighing weekly.

Edited by JRT Mom

The key is to follow the guidelines to the letter don't try to experiment with food too early :)

I am beginning the fourth week of my three week stall. I am six weeks post op, and while I know the stall will eventually break, it is really discouraging while it's going on. It's helpful to read about other people's experiences, and to know I'm not doing anything wrong - it's my body fighting back....I mean, adjusting. 🙂

I've been on this journey nearly 5 months and I've had maybe 1 week of no weight loss so I must be doing something right....

6 hours ago, Superman84 said:

I've been on this journey nearly 5 months and I've had maybe 1 week of no weight loss so I must be doing something right....

no, you're just an exception. And lucky.

And down another couple pounds today!! Good to see what they say is true.. when it breaks you start dropping quick!! ☺️ thank goodness lol