Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Hobbies or interests anyone?

On 1/28/2020 at 4:57 PM, Cheeseburgh said:

EC597CD6-2DCC-4A68-BF67-74B29470AACA.jpeg

This is gorgeous @Cheeseburgh! I live in a Craftsman home, and if it wasn't so tiny (and you weren't so far away) .... 😖

As far as antique furniture you probably know the market is tough. MCM pieces are crazy expensive, but craftsman/mission not so much. My previous home was built in the 40's and when furniture shopping Art Deco pieces were practically being given away. Are there a lot of Craftsman homes in your local area? I know that the same piece would cost double in my town with many Craftsmans vs. a city 10 miles away with none.

And am I the only one to notice the giant decorative apple?? 😍 😲

@sillykitty I LOVED my craftsman/mission house! It was designed by a student of FLW. I’ll see if I can send or post pictures of some of the built ins. There were some scattered around where I lived at the time. The current suburb I am in is pretty nondescript.

I scored a couple of MCM blond Formica step tables and I am having fun with them.

Edited by Cheeseburgh

My new hobby is sewing! Ive found a beginner's sewing class that specializes in how to take in/let out clothes and changing them to fit better or to change the design. Since this is my low-buy/no-buy year, im going to take in my more recent clothes (that arent tremedously huge) and buy second hand clothes to fix up. This also helps me with reminding myself about the weightloss and coming to terms with my own body. So saving money AND therapy! Win-win!

Edited by Krestel

*Opens thread and sees my addiction spreading to others*
well_well_maleficent.gif.347a15c2c56c11be0ef4cd3ef24cdc27.gif
[emoji38]

4 hours ago, Krestel said:

My new hobby is sewing! Ive found a beginner's sewing class that specializes in how to take in/let out clothes and changing them to fit better or to change the design. Since this is my low-buy/no-buy year, im going to take in my more recent clothes (that arent tremedously huge) and buy second hand clothes to fix up. This also helps me with reminding myself about the weightloss and coming to terms with my own body. So saving money AND therapy! Win-win!

I wish I could sew, such a useful and fun hobby.

On 1/29/2020 at 11:10 AM, Cheeseburgh said:

I have no idea what the value is. I’ve seen that desk for 275-450, plus now that I painted it all bets are off.

I would have better luck on Etsy, however I have no idea how I would ship a desk?

Yeah, the logistics of shipping is always a challenging issue to work around.

My sister is an avid eBayer and ships all sorts of stuff, big and small. I think the biggest (and most expensive) thing she shipped was a canoe. She also tells me that she often makes money on the shipping, in the sense that she adds "handling" costs to the shipping so she comes out on top.

But yeah, if you can stand navigating the efforts of shipping, listing on Etsy (or eBay) would get you some customers in @sillykitty's neighborhood who would be willing to pay bigger bucks. Your stuff looks really nice :)

5 hours ago, Krestel said:

This is also something i've always wanted to be good at. The most I can do is hem a pair of pants. (Although I have McGyver-ed a couple Halloween costumes for the Kid when she was younger...)

Now you have inspired me to go looking for a class in my area to make me the next contestant of Project Runway. Off to google....

Edited to add: I got all nostalgic thinking about those old Halloween days when the Kid was small, so went into my photo archives and dug up said McGyver-ed costumes. From far away, I think they look pretty good, no?

Waaaaaahhhhhh....I miss when she was small....😢

Edited by ms.sss

On 1/24/2020 at 5:02 PM, cajunredpanda said:

Most of my cosplay have been closet cosplays (cosplays made out of premade clothes), so nothing too impressive. My Kiki cosplay was completely from scratch, however:

tumblr_mwli28yl8b1skad61o1_500.jpg

If I ever get plastics I'd love to be either Neo Queen Serenity from Sailor Moon.

I LOVEEEE your outfit! Ive always wanted to get into cosplay and dressing up for Comic Cons. I might start once I feel a bit more comfortable. Ironically I just saw Kiki's delivery service for the millionth time a week ago. I'm obsessed with all of Hayao Miyazaki's movies. :)

@sillykitty @ms.sss @GreenTealael

Question: have you ever had a bad experience with eyelash extensions? One time I went with my best friend to get hers done and they did a great job but a few weeks later when she wanted them off all her real eyelashes came off with the extensions. Not exaggerating she had 3 eyelash hairs left on each eye. I couldn't stop laughing 🤣 ( I know, I'm horrible)

I have long eyelashes already but ive been curious about trying the extensions to make my eye lashes fuller.

I really love this thread and reading about everyone's hobbies!

Sewing is something I've always wanted to get into. I can barely sew a hole but I can knit. I haven't knitted in a few years though.

Currently I've been into cooking but Id love to learn how to bake. I'm not the best baker but I've always wanted to learn how to decorate and make fancy birthday cakes or even wedding cakes from scratch. I've been thinking about taking a class or two at Johnson and Wales University as a hobby.

Oh and dancing! I've been working my way up to go salsa and bachata dancing! I've just been doing it from home for fun with my siblings.

8 minutes ago, MarvelGirl25 said:

@sillykitty @ms.sss @GreenTealael

Question: have you ever had a bad experience with eyelash extensions? One time I went with my best friend to get hers done and they did a great job but a few weeks later when she wanted them off all her real eyelashes came off with the extensions. Not exaggerating she had 3 eyelash hairs left on each eye. I couldn't stop laughing 🤣 ( I know, I'm horrible)

I have long eyelashes already but ive been curious about trying the extensions to make my eye lashes fuller.

OMG. I would cry if that happened to me (and like you, probably laugh if it happened to someone else).

No, no bad experiences for me in the past 2+ years.

Did you friend remove them herself, or did she get them removed at a salon?

2 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

OMG. I would cry if that happened to me (and like you, probably laugh if it happened to someone else).

No, no bad experiences for me in the past 2+ years.

Did you friend remove them herself, or did she get them removed at a salon?

She removed them herself. Maybe thats why? lol Oh man, im getting flashback images 😂😂😂

26 minutes ago, MarvelGirl25 said:

She removed them herself. Maybe thats why? lol Oh man, im getting flashback images 😂😂😂

LOL, yeah, self-removal will often result in loss of natural lashes. The first time my Kid got them she pulled out the last stray ones her self and yep, she pulled out some of her own lashes. Luckily she figured out what was happening and stopped!

It's better to get the removed at the salon, they have the right solution for it and have a better viewing angle.

Though if you MUST pull it out yourself, use generous amounts of oil (olive, coconut, baby, whatevs) to help slide em off.

39 minutes ago, MarvelGirl25 said:

I really love this thread and reading about everyone's hobbies!

Sewing is something I've always wanted to get into. I can barely sew a hole but I can knit. I haven't knitted in a few years though.

Currently I've been into cooking but Id love to learn how to bake. I'm not the best baker but I've always wanted to learn how to decorate and make fancy birthday cakes or even wedding cakes from scratch. I've been thinking about taking a class or two at Johnson and Wales University as a hobby.

Oh and dancing! I've been working my way up to go salsa and bachata dancing! I've just been doing it from home for fun with my siblings.

I knit too! (but only scarves because I don't know how to do anything else but rows...)

I want to be a better baker too! (check out this these cakes we made previously that we are secretly super proud of)

I LOVE dancing! (did salsa and bachata classes, and currently doing tap! Next up: my sis-in-law is trying to convince me to do hip hop #yikes)

...I swear if we lived in the same city we would be BFFs.

cake_typewriter.thumb.jpg.6c06f8180dbdeb0cc46c0ec7bfa94065.jpg cake_easter.thumb.jpg.d92c5d5184376cd9e2e9cf98471ccd64.jpg cake_meringue.thumb.jpeg.c6137672a46dea0c1415169f4d8e8bef.jpeg cake_sushi.thumb.jpg.262b49e4d09d857a232651b3af7cd3e7.jpg cake_tier.thumb.JPG.f62df5adcd9e94873a7831d4930e7510.JPG

You made those cakes? I’m seriously impressed!

The closest I get to baking is watching The Great British (bake off) Baking show on Netflix.