Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Hobbies or interests anyone?

I had surgery 11/19 so about 17 months ago and have changed a lot over that time. I’ve picked up new interests and hobbies and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and would like to share what they are into?

I was really getting into finding local parks with good walking trails and biking until winter hit. I found myself a bit bored so I started redecorating and updating my house, which has now lead to me refinishing and or painting everything in my path lol. It keeps me busy it’s really fun and I’m constantly moving. I’m not a super artistic person but I’m having fun with this. Here is a kids desk I fixed up, I got the desk for free so I decided to do something fun with it. Maybe I can haul it up to Canada and give it to my 7 month old Granddaughter!

If you want to share or discuss anything you are into, fashion, cooking, nutrition, decorating, sports, exercise, books, art, etc., please jump in!

BB1ABEEE-6C95-488F-9EFC-AFBBA1D5B8CD.jpeg

36FD990A-4F6D-4B08-8F20-5EF35B300C83.jpeg

Wow, good job on that desk! I love that shade of green.

I need a new hobby. Not so much because of my weight loss. but I recently retired (I still work part-time) and find myself sitting around too much. Not good after WLS!

39 minutes ago, Cheeseburgh said:

I had surgery 11/19 so about 17 months ago and have changed a lot over that time. I’ve picked up new interests and hobbies and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and would like to share what they are into?

I was really getting into finding local parks with good walking trails and biking until winter hit. I found myself a bit bored so I started redecorating and updating my house, which has now lead to me refinishing and or painting everything in my path lol. It keeps me busy it’s really fun and I’m constantly moving. I’m not a super artistic person but I’m having fun with this. Here is a kids desk I fixed up, I got the desk for free so I decided to do something fun with it. Maybe I can haul it up to Canada and give it to my 7 month old Granddaughter!

If you want to share or discuss anything you are into, fashion, cooking, nutrition, decorating, sports, exercise, books, art, etc., please jump in!

BB1ABEEE-6C95-488F-9EFC-AFBBA1D5B8CD.jpeg

36FD990A-4F6D-4B08-8F20-5EF35B300C83.jpeg

GORGEOUS!

BB1ABEEE-6C95-488F-9EFC-AFBBA1D5B8CD.thumb.jpeg.0e5b652c1cca38271cc71c1347e6c743.jpeg
36FD990A-4F6D-4B08-8F20-5EF35B300C83.thumb.jpeg.2d9bb6bd41591454a80b81207c840203.jpeg

So adorable, love it!!!

5'4"
Starting weight 297
VSG on 7/31/19
Surgery wt: 266
CW 205
GW 135

Sent from my [samsung Galaxy] using BariatricPal mobile app

Travel is my big hobby now and nobody stares me down for being the "huge fat woman" coming down the aisle of the airplane and I don't need a seatbelt extender anymore.

OMG! Tooo adorable!!! Love it, love your hobby. We demand more pics or it didn't happen to quote @GreenTealael! :D

I love taking long walks in the park, listening to music, getting together to play cards with the fam and friends, entertaining again, binge watching reality tv and detective shows, reading nutrition nerd sciency stuff, coloring on my phone, and I started an online bariatric peer run support group for people who want or need additional face-to-face connection with a tribe that is walking a similar path. We meet each week via Zoom Meeting and talk about things that are challenging us or that we need help with--and I'm going to be starting a bariatric food blog next week called Bari Healthy Life. It will be focused not only on developing healthy food choices/habits, but also on developing your new lifestyle and sense of self!

Sooo. yeah. There's that. :D

Love this thread! Thanks for starting it! Can't wait to hear from everyone!

Edited by FluffyChix

I called the local airport today to see if they have hanger space for an antique Bi-plane. I think I will dabble with that for a while, now that I can fit more comfortably in one.

38 minutes ago, Fatboyslim1 said:

I called the local airport today to see if they have hanger space for an antique Bi-plane. I think I will dabble with that for a while, now that I can fit more comfortably in one.

Whoa! What a cool hobby! That's the neatest NSV I've seen here yet!

I love it!!! I'm scheduled for surgery in February but I'm planning on starting a crafting business with my family making baby clothes and accessories and home decor signs. I'm hoping some other hobbies will come of it to once I'm on the other side of surgery!

11 minutes ago, JRT Mom said:

Whoa! What a cool hobby! That's the neatest NSV I've seen here yet!

Thanks ! Actually the NSV that got me thinking about it was the 44" Jeans before WLS, and the other day I dropped down to 38"! 34" is my goal. The cockpit of most old biplanes, like a tiger moth are pretty tight.

I’m so glad people are chiming in, I’ve never started a thread before. I’m glad I’m not the only one finding new things to do, experience and discover. Post pictures if you can!

I am the type of person who needs to be busy and have something to do. I have ADHD and can get derailed if I don’t have a clear beginning, middle and end. I’ve done a bunch of projects the past few months, however, I’m not going to hog the thread and post them all, but I just finished this one today that I’m pretty proud of.

We bought this roll top desk 18 years ago when we lived in a craftsman home, it’s just been in storage so I dug it out and updated it.

D9AB0404-AB7E-4463-93A5-082D58710062.jpeg

36D72FEA-C81C-4936-BECC-0F790CC5899D.jpeg

@Cheeseburgh: your work is amazing...maybe you can transition from a fun hobby to money-making endeavor ?!?

5 hours ago, Cheeseburgh said:

My most "significant" new interests/hobbies would be running. I went from basically not moving to running a minimum of 5km a day. It started off as something I made myself do to supplement my weight loss efforts, but then it turned into something I genuinely love and look forward to doing.

I find myself much more willing and eager to try out new things/experiences post-WLS, too many to list, but here are some things that I tried out and developed a big enough affection for that I continue to do them regularly.

• Cooking...weird because I don't eat any of my more elaborate creations. (I mostly stick to salads for myself)..I just enjoy making meals, plating them and watching others enjoy it, LOL.
  • Indoor rock climbing/bouldering
  • Clothes shopping (this is going to be the death of me)
  • ...and my latest obsession...TAP DANCING!! Here are my new tap kicks that came in the mail just over a week ago. I can't wait to try them out for reals. As I'm still in plastics post-op recovery, I haven't gone to class for about a month, so these babies are only seeing some seated practice footwork. I'm impatient to be cleared for regular exercise so I can go back to class ;)

IMG_6681.thumb.jpg.21d9fb048bc5c4df0684b6fcaa9a2c49.jpg