Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Blood pressure crashed, I passed out walking to the kitchen.

13 minutes ago, Losingit2018 said:

Awe. So sorry, Steve. Did they say if the low bp was the cause? That’s pretty scary.

The ER nurse said my blood pressure was low, and that was a good thing she said with my brain swelling. I'm feeling a lot better now with whatever they put in the IV for the swelling. I was told not to sleep for another couple of hours yet. I'm definitely ready to sleep. Thank y'all for your concerns. Be careful. My shoulder still is throbbing. Betty said I fell like tree being cut down. I evidently didn't try to brace for the fall at all. I have rods, screws, and the back of the spine removed from my lower back, so it's really a scary thought of passing out cold and falling.

Same boat here Steve I am officially off all my blood meds and related stuff after two stints and 99 percent blockage of the widow maker. Made me so light headed and dizzy - Saw the heart surgeon and he immediately stopped them = All I take now is the baby asprin -

Also make sure you are hydrated, I have a extreme issue with dehydration cant seem to get that leveled in - I am lucky though my kid is Paramedic so i cheat and he pumps in a IV bag when i am really low on Water.

2 minutes ago, AJ Tylo said:

Same boat here Steve I am officially off all my blood meds and related stuff after two stints and 99 percent blockage of the widow maker. Made me so light headed and dizzy - Saw the heart surgeon and he immediately stopped them = All I take now is the baby asprin -

Also make sure you are hydrated, I have a extreme issue with dehydration cant seem to get that leveled in - I am lucky though my kid is Paramedic so i cheat and he pumps in a IV bag when i am really low on Water.

I am getting anywheres from 80 to120oz everyday, depends on how much sleep I get.

This maybe orthostatic hypotension.

It can be a side effect of WLS.

I have had a few close calls but I am not on any blood pressure meds.

I hit the dirt once but didn't pass out. My legs went wonky. and I felt woozy.

It sounds like you are doing the right thing, stopping the meds and calling your PCP.

I had a cardiac work up and everything was AOK.

I was getting dizzy when I stood up shortly after (a couple of months) the sleeve surgery and stopped taking my blood pressure medication and it's all been good since then. I had lost enough weight that quickly that I no longer had high blood pressure.

5 hours ago, Slimming Down Steve said:

Ended up going to the ER last night. My right ear was bleeding. They ran a MRI and I had some brain swelling but not bad. The nurse put something in my IV to reduce the swelling and they released me around an hour ago. Really tired now.

Sounds like you got a concussion from the fall, which is the cause of the swelling in your brain. That was one serious fall. I would be more concerned about the hardware in your spine.

Take it easy on yourself, you are only two weeks out of surgery. Even I forget that reading your posts. The problem with your mother is pushing you hard to escape from a heavy burden and losing the weight for you is a part of that, but take it easy on yourself. Forget about her. Remind you that Your body needs to catch up with the fact that you don’t need the blood pressure meds anymore. Your body has a lot of adjustments to go through.

2 hours ago, Darktowerdream said:

Sounds like you got a concussion from the fall, which is the cause of the swelling in your brain. That was one serious fall. I would be more concerned about the hardware in your spine.

Take it easy on yourself, you are only two weeks out of surgery. Even I forget that reading your posts. The problem with your mother is pushing you hard to escape from a heavy burden and losing the weight for you is a part of that, but take it easy on yourself. Forget about her. Remind you that Your body needs to catch up with the fact that you don’t need the blood pressure meds anymore. Your body has a lot of adjustments to go through.

I had some x-rays at my doctors office. Everything still looks fine with my back. I'm not worried about my weight or my mother. I had the surgery for me. I didn't want to loose a foot or leg due to diabetes 2, and to be around long enough for my wife. She said (kidding) that till the bills are paid off I can't die! My mother can go take a leap off of a high bridge with hardened concrete around her feet. I am in a good place about my life without her messing around with my wife or my emotions. I cut the strings to the puppet master and don't plan on being restrung up anytime soon.

Edited by Slimming Down Steve

6 hours ago, Darktowerdream said:

I just relook at my above post. It may look as if it was being nasty towards you, I didn't mean it to if you took it that way!

3 hours ago, Slimming Down Steve said:

I just relook at my above post. It may look as if it was being nasty towards you, I didn't mean it to if you took it that way!

No problem.

I started to answer it, and then just kind of left it there. I’m not very good with words. Or interpreting nuances of social interactions. But I don’t peg you for the nasty type.

I think I was trying to say that Your mother is a burden you shed the same as your weight. Both are for you and your health. But sometimes when you think you cut all ties there are sometimes unwanted strings still attached that you can’t quite shake and you don’t always realize that. But I guess it’s just my own personal experience speaking. (Which I won’t bore you with)

you were just being straightforward in your response. And are probably tired of hearing about “she who shall not be named” ...

47 minutes ago, GwennyPenny said:

I had postural drop after surgery every time I stood up it dropped. Once the took me off the bp meds it was a lot better

Sent from my SM-G970F using BariatricPal mobile app

So evidently this is a very common theme among Bariatric patients then. I've been off of my BP meds since the day of my fall, so I know the medicine is out of my system by now. I still feel a little woosy after getting up and starting to walk, but it's manageable. So I would like to thank everyone for their experiences with this problem. It probably makes everyone feel better that it is common and can most likely be expected. Thank you again!

Thank you for posting this issue, @Slimming Down Steve. It is something that I've heard a couple of times here previously but not so concentrated as this thread has been. It will definitely be something I watch out for when I have my bypass done. I'm also on BP meds and have been doing really well on them. My BP has been running low to right on track for the last several months thankfully.

I'm glad your back hardware survived your fall! That is always scary. My husband has seizures and he has: almost fallen into the fireplace and the stove, he has had more stitches than I can even count from punctures and hitting corners of things, and more. I feel for you and your wife, because he doesn't always get "aura" or warning before he goes down and has the concussion record of most football players. I'm glad yours was a one-time thing and that going off the BP meds has done you well.